What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Still ringing now :roll_eyes:

I went to a Stray gig in Birmingham the night before a uni interview at Warwick. They must have thought I was an imbecile as, with the constant ringing, I could only hear about one word in three!

1 Like

:laughing: my condolences

1 Like

We went to the RAH on Sunday to see Zucchero and had fabulous seats. An excellent concert, super tight band half way through their world tour. He had Jack Savoretti come on and guest as well. Very memorable.

Zucchero2

7 Likes

Slash. Newcastle City Hall. 31st March.

5 Likes

Went to see John Smith at the Bristol Beacon, Lantern Hall last night.

We’d seen him two weeks ago at Cooper Hall, Frome for his album launch, quite a small affair. It was good, but very odd, a strange mix in the audience…including us!

Last night was totally different. He was on fine form and the Lantern Hall was a fabulous venue. He was supported by Lizzy No, who was also excellent.

The sound was so effortless and clear and the crowd were out for a good time. Fab night.

2 Likes

And tonight he’s playing in the Union Chapel. Here’s the warm-up…

And John Smith…

4 Likes

*Bach Matthäus-Passion*

Conductor: John Butt
Rotterdams Philharmonisch Orkest
Carolyn Sampson soprano | Catriona Morison alto | Andrew Tortise (evangelist) tenor | Sam Boden (arias) tenor | Matthew Brook (arias and Christ) bass-baritone | Laurenscollegium choir | National Boys’ Choir

Last Saturday at De Doelen Rotterdam.

It was wonderful! This is my first time I have heard this Passion live.
Very different acoustics from the Concertgebouw ( more modern sounding with a much lower noise )
I loved the tenor ( Andrew Tortise )

I was familiar with John Butt from many of his Linn releases and he brought the soloists from the UK but the Orchhestra was not his own.

8 Likes

Back To The Future in the Adelphi Thestre London. Highly enjoyable!

Glen Hansard at Union Chapel. Excellent evening in a very special venue.

5 Likes

Bruckner 7 + Mendelssohn VC

Conductor:

Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Violin:

Johan Dalene

Again at the beautiful De Doelen which has a very different acoustic from the Concertgebouw. Saraste is one of my favourite living conductor today yet he has not been in Chicago for as long as I remember. So I was delighted to see him visit Rotterdam. As I expected it he organised the score well and the Scherzo was tremendously powerful. Acoustically less defused than Concertgebouw so I felt the direct impact and his excellent slow build. Also the orchestra arrangement was more traditional all violins on the left and cello on the right similar to Chicago.

Originally lovely Nicola Benedetti was to play Brahms VC but due to her pregnancy she cancelled and replaced by the unknown ( to me anyways ) Dalene. Just say he still needs a lot to learn!

2 Likes

There aren’t many of these guys left, so it was a real privilege to see Cluster/Harmonia’s Hans-Joachim Roedelius (with the Berlin pianist Kasar) last night at the Jazz Cafe.

A man of great good humour, generosity of spirit and incredible energy for an 89-year-old.

10 Likes

April 26, Gothenburg…

2 Likes

Kid Kapichi (again!). Kentish Town. Awesome. Plus a guesty from Suggs !

1 Like

Last night I went to see Hadestown at the Lyric Theatre in London. It’s a musical that retells the story of Eurydice and Orpheus in the underworld and is set in a sort of depression era Midwest town ( and Hades obviously). The music and lyrics are by Anais Mitchell of solo and Bonny Light Horseman fame and are a cross between folk and New Orleans jazz. The whole thing is just incredible. Superb set design and lighting, a brilliant 7 piece band live on stage. All the cast are excellent but standouts are Gloria Onitiri as Persephone and Donal Finn as Orpheus - he has a voice that very much reminds me of Jeff Buckley. The music is outstanding and at times very moving. It runs until the end of December so if you are visiting London at some point I would strongly recommend that you go to this show

2 Likes

Lorenzo Viotti / Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra

Program:

Mahler Symphony No. 9

Last several times I have heard Viotti conduct I was really impressed mainly with opera pieces. ( unforgettable Tosca! ) But I was somewhat doubtful of him conducting Mahler 9 as I believe that you have to be at a certain mature age to understand this score. The Conertgebouw was fully packed in spite it was a Monday concert.

Loud and dynamic passages were ok albeit I felt it was over saturated. Also I thought the weakness of the orchestra showed up in several places where the solo wind lacked in nuances and the whole fleet of brass section also was lacking colours and not well balanced with the rest.

I was not sure how my friend who has never listened to this piece before is going to react as this is not as accessible as 1st or 5th Symphonies. He told me he throughly enjoyed the score. Well at least the performance kept him awake for the whole performance!~

2 Likes

The magnificent Arthur Brown at The Flowerpot in Derby last night. What a performer - still going strong at 81, and backed by a fine trio of musicians. Magic.

7 Likes

Final Kid Kapichi gig of current tour. La Maroquinerie, Paris.

Stunning. A band totally on the up.

Great venue too. @frenchrooster love this venue

1 Like

Was at a concert of the Berliner Barock Solisten and Igor Levit. It was a Bach evening with music of JS and his suns. The pieces with Levit where the most enjoyable…, playing was at a high level, but program a bit less attractive for me….

6 Likes

Just seen this chap (Julian Lage) at the Barbican…fantastic trio playing cuts off his latest album.

6 Likes