What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Did he step out of a malfunctioning pod?

We arrived late but very possibly. But I would like to think that there was a tiny Stonehenge at the very front of the stage.

1 Like

Chris. Are you retired yet?

Hejira, at the Royal and Derngate in Northampton, right now. Celebrating the music of Joni Mitchell in a jazz style. Nice.

5 Likes

Joshua Bell + CSO: The Elements

Program

**Weber**

Overture to Oberon

Puts, Meyer, Heggie, Higdon, Montgomery
The Elements

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 1

My goodness. He has not aged! This is the first time I got to hear him at the Orchestra Hall. Incidentally, his violin is a Cremona 1713 ex-Huberman Strad and it was just gorgeous as well as it had a warm bold tone. Most fiddle I hear, even the first violin the tone gets too thin and nervous sounding. But not so with Bell + Huberman Strad! How he sustained softest of soft passages without sounding completely threadbare and still being expressive was amazing! :astonished: And I was only 6ft away from him so I was able to hear him breath even. I was completely immersed in the music.

The Elements which was commissioned by Bell is basically a violin concerto composed by 5 different US composers. I was skeptical but actually it was quote good. It’s like an updated Vivaldi 4 Seasons. There are 5 movements: Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Space and Earth. It was solidly rooted in the classical style and well organized. Very cohesive and well put together in spite different composers involved. And it had a touch of soundtrack like vibe. Much more accessible than usual new commissioned work from this century.

Shosty’s Symphony NO.1, OTOH, was somewhat of a mixed bag. From the start I felt that some tension was missing. I enjoyed the score ( written when he was 19 :astonished: this is an interesting piece, btw! ) more than how Juraj Valčuha directed the piece. My imprint is Tocanini set which is far livelier with a better expressive dynamic shading.

7 Likes

Beautiful photo, that last one.

Thanks for that: they are near us the week after next, we will make an effort. :+1:

1 Like

Well worth it. They started as a one-off gig at the local jazz club here in Oxford - the guitarist/bandleader, Pete Oxley, has been running it for decades. Annie Whitehead’s vocals are just stunning.

2 Likes

The Smile in a small Roman theatre in Pula, Croatia yesterday evening!

7 Likes

Richard Hawley , Portsmouth Guildhall last night. As ever, great performance from a brilliant band of musicians, not forgetting the man himself. I have been attending gigs at Portsmouth Guildhall for 50 years. I’ve seen several hundred gigs there. It’s not plush but sound is very good and the compact nature of the hall makes for a great atmosphere! Drinks are pretty reasonable too.

9 Likes

Really sorry - I forgot to reply to you. Partially retiring at end of June so going down to 3 days a week from 5 days a week. I will see how long I can stick it!

1 Like

Went with my work Album Group colleagues to see Courtney Barnett at Band On The Wall last night. I’m not a huge fan. Her sing/speak thing is an acquired taste but… wow.

Support was 21 year old Chloe Slater. Music promising. Lyrics brilliant. She did look about 12 though. Courtney trio were quite something. Some sound issues. Vocals took a while to appear and the bass was thudding all night but what a great little band. Good to see her looking like it was fun again too. A couplr of people have already got 5 videos up on YouTube. Well worth a view.

First visit to BoTW since the latest refurb having missed several booked gigs through illness and I was devastated. Main venue is now just a big black box like any venue anywhere. The lovr;y light Picture House bar is now a smaller black box with a stage. Equally anonymous. One of Manchester’s most distinct venues ruined.

Sadly their poor approach to accessibility remains. An email will be dispatched in due course.

Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets
Manchester Apollo
Echoes into One of These Days was the highlight
Lee Harris and Gary Kemp are both great guitarists

7 Likes

Wishing you all the very best. I pretty much stopped altogether at the end of January.

Ese And The Vooduu People at
Crazy Coqs Caberet, Bar Zedel, Piccadilly Circus…

Lovely evening in a fabulous Deco venue with good friends in the Vooduu Family.

And a visit from Wolfman Jack

Good to meet @Plot140 there! Hope you enjoyed the show Richard.

9 Likes

Lady Blackbird at the Royal Festival Hall last night as part of Chaka Khan’s Meltdown Festival. She is still a brilliant performer with a stunning voice. Great stage presence. The only downside is that she sang a few numbers from her forthcoming second album which comes out in the autumn. She is definitely moving away from her jazz roots to a more mass market sound so I’m not sure how much I will enjoy it.

6 Likes

The Pink Floyd Experience in Auckland last Friday. It was a great show, the band was very tight and in great form - a worthy tribute to the great Floyd.

It was billed as the full Pulse concert, though they mixed the order slightly. One Of These Days came after DSOTM and led into the songs from The Wall, which included Hey You with Comfortably Numb ending the show.

Highlights were One Of These Days, as the rhythm section was particularly good, along with The Great Gig In The Sky - the lead backing singer put in a stellar performance on a song that is hard to do very well.

Lighting and staging was also top notch.

7 Likes

Crowded House,Piece Hall Halifax. This is a shot of support act,Liam Finn,Neil’s son,obviously he joined the band for the main show.

Meant to mention,highlight of the gig,for me,was an acoustic version of Sweet Dreams,an old Split Enz track.

7 Likes

Last night, 20th Jun '24. Birmingham Town Hall (UK).

The 1st night of Anna Lapwood’s first UK tour.

I asked my partner what she though, at the interval.

Very slight hesitation, then… ‘Awesome…!’

It was also very entertaining. Anna ‘live’, is just like she appears, on YouTube (which was how I ‘found’ her) - full of enthusiasm, talking to the audience about the music and lots of fun.

Highly recommended… :smiley:

Possibly The Most Famous Organist on the Web - and beyond…

5 Likes

Tool in Cologne
Incredibly good and also loud

8 Likes