What was the last concert / gig you attended?

In addition on Sunday
Charles Lloyd Sky Quartet
Sting

It went again much too fast, can’t wait to see the 2025 version of this great festival

7 Likes

18 August 1984 !

That’s a pretty good line up.
Love Chcho Valdes! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Lyndon,
As mass shooting becoming more common in the US, it’s a sad reality here that I am thinking more often where the exits are in public spaces… :expressionless:

Some righteous noise from the Alabamy 3 at a rather sparsely attended Apex Bury St Edmunds. A real hoot, such a big sound from so little!

3 Likes

Theo Croker and his virtuoso band at The Glasshouse (formerly The Sage) last night. Very enjoyable! My modest system simply can’t hold a candle to live music in a super venue like this.

For those who live locally, the ticket includes free travel on the Metro which can be an experience in itself. Wallsend has gone downhill since the Romans left. Newcastle’s a great if somewhat scruffy city and walking down from Manors, over the Millennium Bridge and up to the venue with the attendant view of the waterfront, the Tyne Bridge proclaiming the upcoming Great North Run and the cries of the wheeling Kittiwakes that make it - the bridge - their home for the summer, all adds to the experience.

I’m a great believer in putting money in the band’s pocket with CD sales post-gig, but at £20 thought that was a bit steep. On a par with the bar prices.

Top night.

3 Likes

Linda Thompson’s Proxy Music at the Cadogan Hall. Sadly Linda’s health means she can’t sing, but her family and friends did a great job of covering her new album and others of her songs. Her daughter Kami even made her come on stage for the last number (a fantastic rocking Bright Lights Tonight) and she had a ball dancing on the stage with friends and family. Spectacularly enjoyable gig.

10 Likes

Hi Eoin, pleased you had an enjoyable evening, the venue looks nice and intimate.

1 Like

Nice venue the Cadogan Hall. Civilised bar there too !

1 Like

Soda Blonde with the National Symphony Orchestra at the National Concert Hall, Dublin, last night.
Brilliant show, songs sounded great orchestrated.
Plus I was lucky to be invited to Thursday’s rehearsal. An audience of one, such a privilege.

4 Likes

where is this?

Sorry, Dublin Ireland

1 Like

I’m still blown away by this performance 7 days later. Epic stuff

4 Likes

Kid Kapichi doing a semi-acoustic gig in an upstairs room above the Piper in Hastings. Love that they’re getting big, but still showing the love to their home town

Great atmosphere. Great band. Great venue. Great gig

3 Likes

Richard Ashcroft at Kew Gardens 14/7/24. My wife dragged me along to see this concert. Quite enjoyable. Shot with my cell phone

Immagine ashcroft

3 Likes

I went to see the new production of Kiss Me, Kate at the Barbican last night. It has Adrian Dunbar (from Line of Duty) and a bona fide Broadway star in Stephanie J Block. I can’t praise this enough - just fabulous. Funny, beautifully choreographed and in Too Darn Hot , well, very hot. Get a ticket if you can

2 Likes

Benjamin Grosvenor (Piano) at the Budleigh Music Festival in Devon a couple of weeks ago. Top class recital from a great artist. Brahms, Chopin and Liszt. Lovely encores, a Chopin Nocturne, Liszt (Gnomenreigen) and the Horowitz arrangement of the Sousa march ‘Stars and Stripes Forever’! All ended with a walk along Budleigh seafront as darkness fell. A great evening.

Wow! That’s really cool! I know that piece very well but never have heard anyone’s cover of it.

A terrific rendition of otherwise mundane march.

Yes indeed, Horowitz played this as an encore in the 1960s or thereabouts. It doesn’t appear on his later DG recordings I don’t think, where ‘Etincelles’ (Mozskowski) and ‘Polka de W. R.’ (Rachmaninov) are included as sparking ‘fun’ encores with Horowitz adding his own extras! I think this kind of thing went out of fashion rather as the generation of Horowitz, Cherkassky etc. passed. It is now coming back a bit with younger pianists like Benjamin Grosvenor who tastefully included it at the end in Budleigh.

3 hours 12 mins of Bruce…

9 Likes