What was the last concert / gig you attended?

Great to read you liked MM at Ronnie Scott’s @Monkey_Jim - I took my son and daughter to his performance there in July 2022, and he was amazing. I have seen and enjoyed several of his gigs at larger venues, but it’s nice to enjoy the closer performance and superb sound at the club.

1 Like

Not quite - he’s the drummer who, in real life looks nothing like Jimi Hendrix! However, from my photo I see where you’re coming from :joy:

1 Like

Fergus McCreadie - the Spiegel tent Edinburgh Jazz Festival. Layering his Scottish folk form jazz with an Octet - four brass and two drummers (yay!). A single 75 minute piece - exhilarating. The highlight being an astounding piano solo backed by the drummers.

1 Like

Hello @kuma the drummer in Marcus Miller’s band is Anwar Marshall. It was truly great to be able to watch at such close quarters, especially the footwork which you’d rarely be able to see.

1 Like

Let’s Rock 80’s in Shrewsbury. Grab-bag of acts from from that era topped by the excellent Squeeze.

2 Likes

Laura Jurd Quintet (trumpet, fiddle, squeezebox/electronics, e-bass, drums). Edinburgh again. Strapline folk to free(dom) and it did go from celtic to free jazz via funked up hot 5 with electronica. Intriguing - didn’t quite do it for me but glad we went.

2 Likes

Wembley Stadium

Uploading: IMG_3290.jpeg…

Lyndon

4 Likes

And the name of the band was…?

Wearing shorts and a white (schoolboy?) shirt…and he’s way out on the left…

Got to be AC/DC.

Oh, now I see him. I saw AC/DC at Donnington Festival back in the 80’s after the release of For Those About to Rock but we left early to avoid the car park crush. We only went to see Ozzy and Van Halen tbh.

1 Like

Chris Batchelors Zoetic Edinburgh - the trumpeters quintet with his missus on viola and John Parricelli guitar. A tad chambery at first but warmed to their task. One piece with the best ever title Washington Lyons Steam Disinfector (with story attached) plus one great intro “when I was 15 I worked in an illegal drinking club in Elephant Lane Rotherhithe where I first heard the great South African expat jazz musicians like Dudu Pukwana - this is a tribute to them” - a gorgeous township flavoured piece followed.

2 Likes

Just curious to know what is the security like in the venue like that?

Kuma

No bags / rucksacks, there’s a drop off point for these

Most UK venues have airport style security, ie empty your pockets into a tray and walk through a scanner, a waiting security guard will then let you through or give you another pat down if he feels it’s necessary

Lyndon

Reminds me that I saw Batchelor and Parricelli when they were in Loose Tubes. Bath in 1988 and Toronto, 1989.

2 Likes

Also
No umbrellas
No explosives :dizzy_face:

Processing: IMG_3271.jpeg…

I just returned from the always great North Sea Jazz festival. A musical extravaganza with three days of music and the choice between multiple artist on multiple podia at any given point in time…

The Friday I started with…
Potter/Mehldau/Patitucci/Blake
Gonzalo Rubalcaba Trio
Al di Meola
Jammie Cullum
Cucho Valdes Irakere 50

Overall a great start of the festival

8 Likes

On Saturday I watched
Harold Lopez Nussa
Anouk 5 minutes
Ibrahim Malouf & The trumpets of Michel Ange