What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I would certainly like to see the film but I rarely buy music DVD/BluRays as I hardly ever watch them more than once. Music sounds so much better on the stereo system!

1 Like

Agreed, but there are some pretty good dvd/blu ray 2 channel systems too, but I digress

Sorry all, back to the gramophone records! :wink:
:heart:

The Beatles - A Hard Days Night in mono. Ernest J. Day sleeve, Matrix / Runout (A-side runout stamped: XEX 481 - 3N). Managed to find a rather nice example after sifting through a lot of the mediocrity on ebay. Record is NM, original inner & outer LP sleeve is EX. Lovely original examples still exist, but they do take some finding. I wonder if the owner used the “EMITEX” Cleaning Material”.

9 Likes

When british label Twisted Records recently announced the reissues of Shpongles 3 first albums in vinyl, I felt obligate to pre order “Tales of the inexpressible”, their second debut album from 2001, a milestone in electronic music from that era, suppose to be released in march 22.
And also a current electronic compilation, first vinyl release from french production label “Cercle” the album “Coton” is on the way.
Happy new 2022 !

1 Like

Christmas vinyl

Kate Bush remastered III - as with ! & !! the quality of the remastering is exception - music speaks for it’s self 3 albums Directors Cut, Ariel 50 words of Snow

Moby - Reprise excellant re working of his classic’s - and what a recording

9 Likes

I remember those cleaning cloths in a plastic, similar to a tobacco, pouch. Iirc it was impregnated with something called callotherm but my memory is likely faulty :joy:
(I did a search out of curiosity and you can still get similar cloths but I wouldnt)

I have a Jazz In Britain reissue replica LP that amusingly recommends Jibtex (geddit)

Interestingly I also have an original 1st press Mono of WithThe Beatles, the vinyl visually looks knackered and covered in scratches but plays like mint, silent and not a single tick, pop, seriously unbelievable!

1 Like

Arrived today- Arcade Fire Neon Bible

4 Likes

Interesting detail on the Emitex cloth. I do wonder how many were sold with records back in the day! I do seem to recall my parents having something similar to what you describe, especially the storage pouch. I’ll do a quick search later.

Interesting that your well loved copy of With The Beatles plays so beautifully, despite its age related marks. Always really pleasing when you get a copy like that. Coincidentally, and before I saw your post, I picked up a mono copy of With The Beatles today. It was lying unloved in the bargain bin, marked down to £12.50. Very dirty and lots of scratches, a worn cover too and no original inner sleeve - a thoroughly unloved example! Bought mainly as a test disc just to see if it will come good after a few passes on the RCM. Will report back tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think older pre 70’s records are more durable and play superbly even when looking knackered!

1 Like

Well, I think you could be right. I (sort of) got lucky. The With The Beatles album looked atrocious, but it has come up really well after three passes on the RCM. There is some crackle here and there and a light swooshing noise on side 1 in-between tracks that is audible on quieter passages, which I think could be groove wear. The big scratches I was worried about are completely inaudible though, which is just bizarre. Now a decent playable record, where before cleaning I’d have graded it Poor and that was being generous, it now comes up to VG. I’ll get some snaps up tomorrow all being well.

1 Like

Love that Moby album, on vinyl too.

I have a Miles Davis live at The Blackhawk six eye mono 1st press the double one that looked ruined but after a couple of cleans it plays beautifully with a few crackles like yours but that’s all.

Exactly my experience, after a good scrub up on the RCM my copy is totally silent start to finish despite looking like someone ran a speedway bike around it. If you read my post that I linked there is also what looks like serious groove damage on one track as though something ploughed up the groove, again despite my trepidation plays and sounds superb.
The wooshing sound your hearing could possibly be some non fill rather than groove wear?

I’m sure early microgroove LP’s pre 1970’s were manufactured to better standards, vinyl formulations, groove profile etc that make them more durable. I’ve many very old records that havent been so well cared for that play beautifully, if the same mark’s, scuffs scratches etc were on a new record without doubt would sound terrible.

Anyway great to hear you’ve had a result

@Bobthebuilder bob , yes, it just goes to show what can be brought back to life with a RCM. I haven’t got many examples of original 60s vinyl, but the ones I have are very good. A relative has recently given me their collection of 60s & 70s classical records - Decca, EMI and Deutsche Grammophon labels, and the quality is certainly evident.

@Dreadatthecontrols , ah, I missed that link, thanks for that… Nice to have the history behind the album, and received from a family member too. Also, great to see a back ash LP12. My first Sondek was a lovely black ash variant and I like it as much as the fluted afro decks.

2 Likes

A nice little haul from the local secondhand record store yesterday…

rekids

Rolling Stones - Lonesome & Blue. EX/NM.
Hall & Oates - H2O. EX/EX.
The Cult - Sonic Temple. EX/EX
The Beatles Featuring Tony Sheridan. NM/NM. (A gem, this sounds astonishing).
The Beatles - With The Beatles. VG/VG (post clean). An early Mono pressing but in the marked down bargain crate due to it being filthy, covered in light scratches. Came up beautifully on the RCM.

12 Likes

Thanks Yetizone, the Uncle that gave it to me passed away a couple of years back, he’s left a nice collection of Jazz LP’s from the 50’s 60’s which his wife (my auntie) wants me to have. That will be a treat when I can arrange to collect them

If the Hall & Oates is an original Masterdisk cut then it can be a remarkable sounding bit of vinyl. Be warned when the snare drum kicks in on Man-eater…

2 Likes

Love this LP. First time trying MoFI Original Masters. Suddenly my system had more PRaT.

14 Likes

Richard, it is the Masterdisk variant so now I’m really intrigued. Not had chance to listen to it as its still in the RCM queue - over the weekend all being well.

The dead wax:

Matrix / Runout (Runout, A-side): RCALP 6056 A-1U-1-2 - X1 AFL1 - 4383 - A - UK MASTERDISK RL
Matrix / Runout (Runout, B-side): RCALP 6056 B-1U-1-2 - AFL1 - 4383 - B - UK MASTERDISK

Masterdisk RL bodes well…

1 Like