What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Indeed! There have been a fair amount of grumbles about the pressing, here and elsewhere, I heard some samples from an online web store and could clearly hear ticks n pops.
The “unsurpassed quality control” (I’m paraphrasing but the blurb says something to that effect) is in my view “cobblers” :wink:

My Classic copy btw is a lovely pressing devoid of any ticks, pops etc

Thanks for posting Kuma it’s nice to have real world opinions from personal experience rather than the 2nd hand opinions of others.

There are a few members who are expecting copies in the next week or so having all received shipping emails from the U.S so perhaps more reviews will follow.

Though I don’t have the Mofi 45rpm anymore as I found it too bassy and so sold it nor do I have the Classic Records but I do have a few other copies quite an early and well regarded U.K CBS from 1962 , a 2013 RSD Mono from Sterling pressed at RTI,
a Kevin Grey RM, The 50th Anniversary Box set and maybe 2 or three others from the late 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

As soon as I have the time and the AP copy I’ll listen to a few versions and post my views .

Ayreon

The Source

Ornette Coleman - Genesis of Genius, Concord (2022) PRE ORDER

Ornette Coleman Box Set featuring his Contemporary releases , 1958’s Something Else!!! The Music of Ornette Coleman and 1959’s Tomorrow Is the Question! The New Music of Ornette Coleman .

Remastered from the original Analogue Tapes by Bernie Grundman and pressed at RTI I’m not a massive fan but really enjoy both these and The Shape of Jazz to Come which are not as Free and are a bit more traditional than his later work.

2 Likes

I have the 2002, and I can’t summon the motivation to go after this latest version, what with all the waiting, the needless bulk of the package, the unusual number of QC complaints, etc. But if the 45 rpm version turns out to be something special, and if the QC is sorted, I’ll probably talk myself into finding the shelf space for it.

2nd hand opinions? :wink:

Personally I’m sceptical of those that swallow the kool aid then regurgitate hyperbole rather than honesty

Is that the one with both the original speed and corrected speed records?

Seeing that the 90s reissue going for similar $$$ as the latest AP reissue I would opt for the former. Personally I don’t much care for the elaborate packaging. Just give me a good record in a simple gate fold outer!

Chad at the AP is a good business man. I have no problem he’s milking the opportunity. I also noticed that Acoustic Sounds produced Classic Records back catalogue does not sound as good as the original reissues from the 90s. I have no idea what they are doing but the titles I got to compare side by side, AP reissues go side way.

1 Like

These things are so subjective I’ve read reviews over on the Steve Hoffman site that wildly contradict each other and especially regarding any KOB release there are those that rate the new AP the best ever and others who are extremely underwhelmed by it.

Some people absolutely love the MOFI 45rpm others like me find it bass heavy ditto the 50th Anniversary Blue Vinyl and the RSD Mono we all hear things slightly differently and have systems that play things slightly differently so these things are subjective.

I’ve found over the years that different Record Players can really play a big part in how a record sounds from the slight colouration of the LP12’s I’ve owned to the more accurate sound of the new Rega P8 so sometimes although it’s nice and interesting to listen to people comparing different reissues I’d always advise people to listen for themselves on their own system.

1 Like

This.

And Yoko’s War Zone incoming tomorrow.

2 Likes

Hi Kuma,
Yes, take a look at the pics I posted. Bottom left of back sleeve dated 1995
:heart:

1 Like

A noisy pressing is a noisy pressing, some carts/stylus profiles may mask faults to some degree but then what other musical information is being masked as well?

1 Like

Which ones have you owned, there are so many permutations/variations and current full Linn spec sound very different to early versions.
As for accuracy of the Rega, a fine turntable but under measurement they run/pitch slightly fast, so accurate?

Gil Scott Heron - Free Will, BPG/Flying Dutchman (2014)

4 Likes

Graham Collier - British Conversations , My Only Desire Records (2021)

*Finally got my copy of this excellent record remastered at Gearbox and limited to just 500 copies.

3 Likes

Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game

Another fine release from Tone Poet.

5 Likes

Continuing Anna Von Hausswolf exploration: her collaboration in a ‘project’/band (?) called
BADA.

Drone-y, ambient-y. Pretty dreamy…not exactly Sunn 0))) or Boris!
Second issue, on her Pomperipossa Records label, green vinyl, 300 copies.

2 Likes

Very excited this has arrived today, after months of port delays in the US.

5 Likes

I also agree with Mofi pressing sounds dull and arse heavy. Timing seems to be all off to me. ( that is many, not all, of Mofi releases I find )
That was the impression we all felt when we listened.

What is the source they used for the 50th anniversary reissue?

ok. '95 release it is~ :+1:

1 Like