What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I’ve been looking at that, I’m disgracefully lacking in Tom Petty apart from American Girl and The Travelling Wilburys. Is it a retrospective album?

No, but it’s arguably his best album, so not a bad place to start if you’re unfamiliar with the rest. Full Moon Fever was the big one - the one that really broke TP into the mainstream consciousness. I remember having that album on almost constant repeat play for the best party of the year that it came out. Of his late output, I’d say that Mojo (with the Heartbreakers) was another high point, and another album that I could not stop playing, especially in the car…

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I thought it might be some kind of retrospective due to the amount of material. The albums you mention are with the Heartbreakers right? Further exploration beckons
:+1:

Mojo was with the Heartbreakers, but Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers were not.

The greatest hits double album on vinyl is worth getting - with that you also get Mary Jane’s Last Dance, which I recall seemed to be playing in every bar in Wyoming when it was released back in the day. That will give you a nice little precis, even though it’s a bit of a shame that two of the best earlier TP tracks, Refugee and You Got Lucky, are at the end of sides one and two.

1 Like

Thanks again Richard. I’ve just taken delivery of a Bluesound Node 2i as a budget means of checking stuff out (sorry Naim, maybe a little later). Theres so much great vinyl coming out and only 24hrs in a day, so need a means to shorten my wants list.
Will favourite your suggestions
:+1:

@Richard.Dane this one?

I am familiar with a few of the tracks.

Just spotted a “limited tour edition” of Mojo that includes a live concert.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the one.

The Vinyl of Mojo is excellent - a a nice heavy tip-on gatefold double album with vinyl pressed at Pallas. You also get a code for a 24bit download of the album.

2 Likes

That sounds great. Mastered at Bernie Grundman by Chris Bellman (according to discogs).

Is it only the cd version that comes with the extra disk Richard?

There was a “Tour Edition” CD released a bit later that had a second live CD inside.

If you can afford to, get the Wildflower sets with the ‘alternate’ and ‘home demo’ versions included. They are absolutely wonderful. I prefer the home demos to the original album versions. Fascinating to hear what a stripped down ‘live’ performance is like. Makes you wonder if artists do ever like their polished studios cuts that make the mass market sales bigger. Best set I’ve bought in years.

Also the Fleetwood Mac Alternate Rumours is great to hear, but not as good as this Petty gem.

2 Likes

Yes, thought that must be the case, cheers

Another Tom Petty lp to look for is Mudcrutch. Put ‘Crystal River’ on and sit back.

2 Likes

I seem to remember Damn The Torpedoes getting mentioned a lot in the music press back In the day

Ordered Tom Petty From The River and forgot i pre-ordered from somewhere else

Other two classical 2 Euros Charity Shop

4 Likes

I agree regarding Wildflowers. I bought the 2cd. Brilliant. Now wishing I’d bought 4cd version. Storage problem making me cut back on vinyl purchases

1 Like

@Richard.Dane
Hi Richard, so I’ve been listening to Mojo and thanks to you enjoying it a lot. Have had a search but so far not seen the vinyl at a reasonable price, will have to settle for a stream until one turns up ( on my discogs wantlist)
Cheers

5 Likes

The vinyl was a bit more than usual, even when new, but worth it. Mine came from the US.

Amazon, who I wont buy records from anymore anyway are asking £75. Discogs sellers, I just took another look, 33 to 75 euro plus shipping which isn’t so bad for “mint” copies of a quality record (Bernie Grundman, Pallas etc).
I’m a bit hesitant on the sellers though, only 4 available from Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland or Russian Federation. I usually only buy from sellers in UK or US.