What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Greetings Stevie :+1: Those MM Blue Notes are quite special. Bar 2 titles I have a complete set of the 33 series. Silly money asking prices now.
I havent heard Evolution but I see Bobby Hutcherson plays on it. I really like his albums Oblique & The Kicker which are available in the Tone Poet series (similar spec to MM). Havent got them yet, there on my round tooit!

BobbyHutcherson-ObliqueExpandedPackshot_590x
:notes::musical_note:

6 Likes

Evenin’ Dread!

Agreed, I’m really taken with Bobby Hutcherson on Evolution

And yes, the MMs do seem rather ouch! in price. But glad I ponied up for this one.

1 Like

I just got 2 albums from Amazon Italy: “Diana Krall - This Dream of you” and “Bruce Springsteen - Letter to you”. Diana Krall the two vinyls are black and without any booklets. Bruce Springsteen are also these two black vinyls with a booklet and two extra matte covers. It’s normal? I knew that Diana in stores was in gray vinyl and with a special edition, maybe just for stores? Ditto for Bruce Springsteen. I was a bit disappointed even if the print at first listen is good and without any rustle whatsoever. How did it happen to you or whoever has them? Thanks Andrea.

3 Likes

I was paying about £55 a pop with shipping from US when I was collecting the 33’s but worth every penny. Just a shame MM got a bit greedy and started hiking prices after the series was complete.
Btw The Kicker has the same line up as Grant Green’s classic Idle Moments recorded a month earlier in 1963 but for some reason not released until 1999.
Could have been released as a double LP or Idle Moments Vol1 & Vol 2 back in sixty tree
:+1:

1 Like

The MM releases are too much for me but I am looking forward to the Blue Note Classic releases starting 4th December. Looks like they are covering quite a few of the MM releases at much more affordable prices. Hopefully the quality will at least be in line with the Tone Poet releases.

1 Like

These are a being touted by Blue Note as a continuation of the (excellent) Blue Note 80 vinyl reissue series, so expect Kevin Gray cuts and Optimal pressings but standard inners (boo), and lightweight sleeves. The bonus should be reasonable pricing.

1 Like

Last week, ten assorted LPs from the DeAgostini “Jazz at 33.3 rpm” part-works series arrived, courtesy of the promotion by Zavvi (successor to Woolworths, I believe).

Not had time to listen to them yet…painting the bedroom :frowning:

You’re in for a treat. They are never anything less than good, many quite excellent.

2 Likes

The BN80’s were pretty good but I think what the Tone Poet series offers for a relatively little bit more in price makes them IMO the better option.
Yer gets what yer pays for

2 Likes

3 Likes

Cheap Trick’s debut on Speakers Corner.
A nifty £12.40 from Pure Pleasure …

b028a6aff89da2f46746b3e45bc3587f

Rick Nielsen reminds me of Rik Mayall in that photo …

3 Likes

Incredible remastering of the best of the best. Sounds amazing.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Another fine pressing from Pure Pleasure. It sounds so much better than the CD I have.

2 Likes

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love. For some reason I can’t quite fathom, I bought this album back in the day on CD, although subsequent PJ albums I bought on vinyl. Anyway, to rectify this I bought the recent remaster on vinyl and I’m looking forward to hearing it.

7 Likes

Bob Dylan - Desire Supervinyl 45rpm limited to 1,000

I’ve just compared my original 45rpm mfsl to my new Supervinyl 45rpm copy received today. It doesn’t take any careful listen to hear the obvious improvements this new pressing brings to this wonderful album. Everything is clearer, tighter, more spacious and Dylan’s voice sweeter. Quite remarkable really considering apparently it’s only a new vinyl compound. I can’t imagine the low number of 1,000 pressings being the answer, as the previous copy wasn’t a large run. This is the best I’ve heard this album in 40 years. I have no idea why a company produces such a ridiculously low number of such a work of art, but all I can say is I’m very pleased to be one of the owners.

10 Likes

I think it’s a lot to do with short pressing runs help produce better quality pressings. With longer runs wear to the stamper can be an issue. That, and it’s a niche product with limited appeal to “audiophiles”

There running a half price sale, I recently bagged about 14 lovely albums

Yes, and unfortunately the one I wanted wasn’t included!

Which one?