What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

How good exactly is it, Jimbo?

I’ve just ordered a set from Pure Pleasure,
and hoping my money is well spent (?) :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Limited edition transparent vinyl. Sounds incredibly crisp with a dazzling soundstage. Very happy. :blush:

1 Like

French 1st press
Another live Chet Baker lp along with Phil Markowitz on piano this one was recorded
in Paris on 28th December 1978 and released the next year.

1 Like

You’ll find other people like me who thought It’s My Life was the pinnacle of their output, the later albums being extremely well produced but progressively more sterile and boring though wonderful for their hi-fi demo capabilities.

The Party’s Over is also good but more of its time - I still regard the tracks Talk Talk and Today as pioneering tracks of the new romantic/synth pop era and are incredibly invigorating if they resonate with you.

Do you have a streaming service to demo the albums, there are many great tracks but more I’d say on the second album.

What a stunning debut album that I’ve previously had from Qobuz in hi-res.

Sadly considerable surface noise on both of the 45 rpm discs which is not that apparent during the body of the tracks but very annoying during the start/end of tracks due to their nature - must be said I was playing it damned loud though.

The hi-res download is possibly more detailed but the LP mastering is so much more enjoyable - playing it through rather than favourite tracks, and certain tracks do really stand out with a different presentation to harmonised vocals.

5 Likes

I’m sure I have an older EMI 180g pressing somewhere but can’t find it, and having been bowled over revisiting this via Qobuz in recent weeks, I ordered the currently available pressing from Amazon.

No frills/stickers packaging but has a lined inner sleeve, lyric sheet and digital download code. Perfect!

One of the best vinyl purchases in a long long time, virtually no background noise, and sounds gorgeous.

The old cliché but I’ve heard things on this I’ve never heard before, particularly runs of acoustic notes that are now separate and identically pitched whereas before I’d mentally perceived them played differently, very strange but also better.

7 Likes

Like several other posters, this posthumous J.J. Cale release, Staying Around, 1st listen, and t’s classic Cale, understated guitar work of true beauty and brilliance.

5 Likes

MoFi Brothers In Arms

4 Likes

My favourite elbow albums, got the Abbey Road half speed master this week, lots of great music and beautifully crafted

Love all their offerings, but I think you’re spot on. It’s My Life is a fantastic album which was overshadowed by the audiophile hype surrounding their later output.

I’ve just bought this. A record I sold long ago and regretted it. It’s never been available on CD.

2 Likes

Not only do I still have that album, I also have the original plastic carrier bag it came in with the Pop Aural inscription on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another Chet Baker LP French 1st press 1979 on All Life.
Recorded at “Le Chateau”, Hérouville on December 29th 1978
Mixed at Studios Davout, Paris, December 8th 1979
I’ve so many versions of the same track by this man and each and every one is different he is well known for his improvisation but it is his ability to not only add too but reduce tracks to something much simpler that I love and in doing so making them more potent. Less can definetly be more.

3 Likes

This arrived today.

1 Like

Record Store Day 2019

Dr Octagon 20th Anniversary reissue boxset

1 Like

15 Likes

A gem

Steve Hillage, Fish Rising

Got it in the mail yesterday

1 Like

PINK FLOYD A Saucerful Of Secrets (2019 UK limited edition issue of their classic 1968 second studio album released exclusively for Record Store Day pressed on 180gram Heavyweight Vinyl and remastered from the original MONO analogue tapes.

7 Likes

A lost era of great front covers. Says a thousand words about life, attitude, fashion and unvain innocence. Look at album covers now. Usually like the London Grammar above, creative, but devoid of any sole or meaning.

6 Likes