What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Had this in my basket at the well known river for ages and this week got a notification of a price drop so took the plunge (river - plunge hehe).
The cover always drew my attention but back in the days of buying vinyl from pocket money there was always something I wanted more.

51loocyhL9L

I don’t know if the original was, but this release is a DMM cut and it sounds awful - it reminds me of the first time I heard CD and the salesman looked at me and said “Brilliant isn’t it?” “No it’s bloody near unlistenable” I answered. That same initially impressive brightness and attack that just grates after a couple of minutes.
So to sum up, I’ve waited over 40 years to buy it and it’s now in the never to be played again pile.

I was going to suggest you buy the CD, but I’ve just sampled the first minute or so on Qobuz and I don’t think that’s much better, so it’s probably down to the recording. It’s certainly not as good as Lovedrive, which has a very live presence about it.

Actually Clive it comes with a CD of the album included.
The CD sounds marginally better, but still won’t get played.
I’ve a first press of Lovedrive which is a great sounding album. Expecting the same of Animal Magnetism no doubt compounded my disappointment.

I’m not sure if my copy of Lovedrive is first press or whatever, but I bought it in 1979 after I’d heard Loving You Sunday Morning played by the DJ at Knebworth on one of the Led Zeppelin weekends. It still sounds good today.

1 Like

Love Sculpture Blues Helping
Some of Dave Edmund’s blistering guitar blues best.
Haven’t listened to Love Sculpture in 40-odd years.
Couldn’t resist for £11.50.

5 Likes

Miyasaka + 5, Animals Garden. 2 x 45rpm reissue of a 1979 J-Jazz classic.

It might also be mastered from a CD file
:heart:

It says on the sleeve “DMM cutting from original tapes”, for what it’s worth.

Edit: Tellingly not Master Tapes …

1 Like

Wonderful stuff, the duet with John Prine especially poignant in the circumstances.

2 Likes

In record industry hyperbole could mean anything really.

I haven’t bought a Vinyl record for 15+ years, so going through this thread with interest to start buying again.

I notice on Bandcamp you obtain a digital copy, also I see on the PJ Harvey site you also get a coupon to download a digital copy. Presume if I bought via Amazon it would also allow you to download a digital copy?

Where possible I like to avoid buying multiple formats, is this quite common?

For starters I bought the new Garry Numan

2 Likes

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti back in around 1975.

It had clicks and plops, and was so warped it made me sea-sick playing it.
Took it back a couple of times until I got an acceptable copy.
(I was always taking them back).
They were cheap sub-standard plastic and poorly made.

So good-bye and good riddance to vinyl.

Tried cassette tape but not really better but the much-maligned CD eventually came to my rescue in the early 1980s.

The record companies never offered me a trade-in when I re-purchased my many vinyl albums on cassette tape, CD, or download. Rob-dogs.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s mostly correct. I buy lot of vinyl from Bandcamp and as you say usually gives you a digital download in any format of your choice and often HiRes. But it depends on the artist/label not all do this.
If you sign up for a “fan acount” you also have access to unlimited streaming of a library of purchased titles and regular news and articles such as Bandcamp Daily in your inbox or via the app.
The only downside to which, in my view is that the fan acount has a social media element to it which I dont like, this allows other users to “follow” you without giving your consent. A couple of occasions I have had to write to Bandcamp and ask them to remove “followers”. You can however make your purchases “private”.
Despite that slight bugbear it’s a great place to buy and explore music.

1 Like

That was the last vinyl you bought in 1975?

1 Like

Yes about 1975 or 1976.
My experiment with cassette tape proved little better and came to an end with the Rolling Stones Black and Blue album (my favourite Stones album although not widely acclaimed) as the tape version was dreadful.

About three years ago I did retrieve my direct drive turntable from the loft after 25 years to transfer some vinyl to digital. It is now back in the loft. I thought I looked after my vinyl but had a trip down memory lane fighting with static, clicks and plops.

Also a few years ago went to a event by an audio firm from Glasgow with a long involvement with vinyl as well as digital. In comparison they played Miles Davis Tutu album on vinyl and demonstrated what I had been missing - i.e. surface noise, clips and plops.

You may guess I am not a vinyl fan.

P.S. My Dansette auto-changer and my 45s were great in the 1950s and 1960s to inspire my love of music and later hi-fi. Although when I go on about my Naim equipment “Her Indoors” always tells me she cannot see what was wrong with a Dansette.
dansette

P.S.2 Loved Tutu and so then purchased 24/192 hi-res download.

1 Like

You won’t have done it any favours SQ wise up in the loft (unless your loft is made for archiving) but if you don’t like it anyway it doesn’t really matter I suppose.
Find hard to understand why you’d prefer cassettes though. I had a nightmare with the few cassettes I bought. A couple got chewed up (more so in the car) and I also had Outlandos & Regatta by The Police on cassette and had to put the tape reels in a new body as they’d seized up in the original body.

I agree. It was rather a sideways move. You have to remember how bad many new vinyl were at that time. I could record better quality cassettes than you could buy.

I’ve had problems with lousy sounding albums but that applies equally to CD and cassette.
In a collection of over a thousand LP’s I’ve probably had less than twenty or thirty that have needed to be returned/replaced.
And by using an RCM a lot (nearly all in fact) of the pops and clicks from dust can be removed.
Also, I recently bought a Marantz PCM recorder and find I can record better than CD quality from vinyl.

3 Likes

Ah! Yes, home recorded cassettes especially on say a Nakamichi Dragon, but not most pre recorded cassettes which did sound dreadful.
But if you were home recording onto cassette, unless live concert or session broadcasts from radio, you presumably were transferring vinyl which would still have the clicks and pops (sic) which you didnt like.

I had a nice Sony deck and then a Nakamichi, alas not a Dragon.
You could remove some of the intertrack clicks and “plops” when recording.

Maybe it is time for me to leave this topic as I am off thread and only being a part-pooper.

1 Like