What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Brilliant!
The debut One Step Beyond also holds a special place here.
:+1::heart:

Unfortunately it’s a bit of a dud, this 40th Anniversary reissue. It’s my least favourite pressing so far - it’s hard to pinpoint exactly why. On the face of it, it sounds good, it’s just it’s a bit flat. The Sterling cut has just so much more life to it, and even the German press and Uk “Aren” sound a bit more lively.

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear, I’m not familiar with the pressings you mention. I have the original UK Stiff label pressings bought on release. I suggest that might be the way to go, I shouldn’t think they would be v expensive, there not rare and sold by the cart load. Discogs?
Sounds a bit flat? Maybe digitally cleaned up .ie rinsed out. That’s a shame!
:heart:

The original laminated first UK pressing is definitely the one (or the first US). Luckily I have one of each, albeit, no longer in mint condition, but still very good. The trick is to get an early UK issue with a Sterling cut on both sides…

2 Likes

Yes I have them, I bought them the day they came out, sounds like your sorted. I wouldnt bother with anything other I doubt you’ll better them.

The Poet I & II are available for pre order I have a 1st press Poet I which is excellent but my copy of II is a bit worse for wear so have ordered a new copy.

2 Likes

Stage Fright 50th anniversary coloured vinyl. Sounds flat and lifeless. Vinyl looks nice though

3 Likes

Makoto Terashito meets Harold Land – Topology. Another J-Jazz classic reissue by BBE on double 45rpm vinyl:

2 Likes

I have waited a long time to hear these on vinyl. Oh Mercy I’ve loved since it was released, and I used the CD to select my first system 27 years ago, LFD Integrated Zero into Spendor SP3/1s with a Pioneer pd-s904 flat platter CD player :slight_smile:

Anyway here it is finally on vinyl and it sounds fantastic, a lovely pressing.

The Eric Bibb album, well, thrilled to get this from a European provider. New, a bit warped but not too bad.

6 Likes

I’ve just pre ordered The Poet too It will be nice to have a new set of both and the promo for them says that they are remastered from the original tapes though doesn’t say by who.

Just love Bobby’s fantastic outfit on the cover of The Poet II (above). NME voted it Record of the year for 1984 which must be unusual for a soul record but IMO his three duets with Patti La Belle that open the LP are three of the best male/female duets ever recorded and to have them on the same record tracks 1, 2 & 3 is quite something if you are into female Soul vocals then Patti’s on these are a real treat .

Bobby_Womack_-_The_Poet

4 Likes

Try the MFSL 45rpm of Mercy. It sounds great.

2 Likes

Ok thanks I’ll look into that

Damn you Juno - your late Sunday new releases tempter email. George Russell New York NY from 1959 with an amazing band including Coltrane and Bill Evans. Pricey but what the hell.

5 Likes

Crikey! :wink:

2011 MOV RE

7 Likes

To go with the cd and artwork

3 Likes

Thank you for this. Enjoying it very much!

1 Like

Just love the drum break on Visions of China… and the rest.

12 Likes

Actually received by mistake from importcds. I contacted them and I’ll see what they say.

Claude

2 Likes

Another Discogs purchase, this time not too expensive tho’

Turned up today

5 Likes