What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Bit late getting this. Perfect pressing and sounds great. Surprised at how good the music is. When I heard clips months ago I wasn’t that impressed, hence not in a rush to buy it.

9 Likes

Another one for the Kraftwerk German-language collection:

7 Likes

For me, the titles are quite exciting as they’re somewhat off the well beaten path. I already have umpteen versions of Something Else or Sidewinder (and practically all essential/classic to me jazz records) that these are refreshing. Of course, I’m probably not representative, having bought the Music Matters 45rpm, the Impulse series, the Verve series, a lot of MoFis and so on. I agree with you though, most of the titles, though good, are not classics.

1 Like

Norah. Live!

9 Likes

And I suppose you are Blue Note’s target audience for the Tone Poet series those individuals who have already spent out on expensive copies of the ‘classic’ Blue Notes will not buy medium priced copies of the same titles or on the other hand shell out Music Matter’s prices for the more obscure titles so they’ve priced them somewhere in the middle.

I too have three copies of Sidewinder and two copies of Something Else but am not prepared to pay the £70 to £80 Music Matters want for a reference copy but something in between that and the £18 Classic Series would be nice.

The recent Acoustic Sounds series and the Craft Chet Baker releases have got it about right reference grade sound and packaging for a reasonable sum.

1 Like

9 Likes

Lucinda Williams: Runnin’ down a dream a tribute to tom petty. Its a cracker, sounds like they set up and recorded it in one take, very live sounding.

Just arrived : The Cranberries - No Need To Argue.

2020 remaster with bonus tracks on side four. We’ll see how it compares to our old CD.

5 Likes

I agree. For me that means I haven’t bought Kind of Blue and Blue Train yet. The usual suspects I know, but I love them just the same. Not available in nice sleeves and good pressings in the higher mid range as Tone Poet, Acoustic Sounds etc. Way too many and confusing amount of different versions with soso sleeves and lesser pressings for affordable pricing and of course MoFi for insane prices on the other end.

Tried some de agostini’s of discogs, but had no luck with flat records

The MoFi KoB is very good, and should still be available if you look hard enough. Failing that, I heard that there’s a Kevin Gray KoB in the works for later this year.

The De Agostini Jazz at 33 1/3 of Blue Train is very good for a cheap price. I’m surprised that you’ve had warped copies of the De Agostinis because many are pressed by Record Industry, who have to be far and away the best pressers of LPs these days. The rest are pressed by MPO, who are at least at a similar level to Optimal. For around £8-15 per LP, they’re excellent value and usually sound at least good, often excellent.

3 Likes

Thanks Richard, I was planning on pre ordering the backorder MoFi pressing of KoB, but will maybe wait now for Kevin Gray. Or buy the MoFi anyway as well.

De Agostini: It might be that I bought from Italy. Perhaps the German and UK versions are better. Anyway the sleeves I wasn’t too impressed with, even compared to other low priced albums.

The recent UK De Agostini Jazz at 33 1/3 series have impressed. No, they aren’t Stoughton Tip-ons but they don’t look like dodgy photo-copies either.

1 Like

Thank you, I will put the UK versions back on my wish list then! :slight_smile:

And maybe order the Kevin Gray 2011 from the US when I have to pay transport anyway for my Head Hunters.

Augustus Pablo

AugustusPabloEastoftheRiverNile

Also a Hugh Mundell fan :grinning:

3 Likes

CBS reissues from the 80’s with the ‘sunburst’ labels are very good as are the French DMM ‘Cadre Rouge’ also from the 80’s.

1 Like

Arab Strap - When Days Get Dark

1 Like

Yes, the U.K. sunburst CBS issue of KoB is excellent.

I got this yesterday, can’t believe how thin and tinny it sounds - what label is it?

1 Like

Mine is the 50th Anniversary Sony Legacy release. Not brilliant sounding but far from thin and tinny to these ears …

1 Like

On the back of that I bought this too.

Once you get the bug it’s so hard to stop spending …

8 Likes