What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I have the original, deffo not thin and tinny.

Try digital download to test?

1 Like

I’ve got a hi-res Qobuz version which sounds better.

I may have an old pressing somewhere, not sure at the moment.

It’s not the greatest recording, sq wise, but the Mofi LP from a year or two back was fabulous.

2 Likes

Nuff said

My weekend just got a whole lot betta!

7 Likes

Yusef Lateef - Live at Ronnie Scott’s, Gearbox Records (2016)
Recorded in Mono 1966

Mastered at Gearbox Records from the original master tapes courtesy of Les Tompkins
Cut on Haeco Scully lathe with Westrex RA1700 series amps, Westrex 3DIIA cutting head and Telefunken U73B tube limiter;
Maselec master control and Decca valve equalisation, monitored on Audio Note equipment

2 Likes

Courtney Pine - Black Notes From The Deep , Freestyle Records (2017)

1 Like

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Gone With the Wind, Mono, Fontana Records (1959)

Recorded the same year as Time Out but quite obscure in comparison. I picked this UK Mono 1st Press in VG+ condition for just £5 inc post which is too cheap.

2 Likes

k

Boxes finally arrived,and duly filled!

7 Likes

why?? coltrane after monk in the room with me (and the dogs)!

6 Likes

Couple to gaze at, at work.
Speakers Corner Dr John, Sun Moon And Herbs and a (hopefully) great RSD Lou Reed triple live set.

(Looks longingly at diary for next day off to actually get some damn listening in!)

5 Likes

There is already a Kevin Gray remaster of KOB pressed at MPO I bought it just after it was released in 2010 for about £20 which was great value unfortunately with postage it will cost you twice that.

I’ve maybe 10 versions of KOB 6 of which are vinyl and as Richard said the Mofi, 2 disc 45rpm is the best of the rest at the moment but of course a 6 eye Mono is the most desirable.

6 Likes

That’s the one that’s always out off stock at the moment then there’s one ranging from £157 up to £185 way to much money for my taste I’m afraid
Pity as its a good album and I’d love to hear it on vinyl

Sadly I’d noticed the same silly prices.

$125 from mofi direct.

Yep it’s a bit steep isn’t it maybe if your in the 500/statement league to get the best from it but certainly not p6 and 5i league

It’s actually something I’m getting more and more annoyed about with vinyl - I want to buy certain re-issues either because I never had them on vinyl originally or to replace badly worn vinyl.

This does not mean in most instances that I’m a crazy card-carrying crazy fan of the group, simply that I like the album and want a decent copy - I don’t want all the extra special tracks/booklets/coloured vinyl/guff that so many re-releases come with at a premium price these days.

Expecting an album to be sympathetically remastered/pressed seems the main point of the proceedings to me, but for the record companies it seems to be nothing more than vinyl users as cash cows.

Potentially a good reason to shift to digital downloads, but that’s far from perfect either.

3 Likes

Totally agree it’s either a copy from digital file very badly pressed and presented in a carbord sleeve sounding thin and down right crap or some over the top package with a pressing that sounds as it should at £60 upwards, yep it’s annoying and we should have more options if they really want to bring the media back to the masses

IIRC I bought my MOFI copy about 6 months back for just over £40. I think there’s a much more expensive one-step version too (just checked the Mofi site and yes, it’s still available for $125), but the plain vanilla Mofi should be just fine.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard yep I thought so I can’t find the vanilla anymore in stock I’ll keep looking maybe one day I’ll find one

MoFi is doing a 1-step of it.

Yes, I know - see my post above.