What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Indeed. At least up to 250 somewhere which guarantees analogue source. After that more and more became digital source.

1 Like

There is a very long discussion thread on Hoffman concerning the sources for OJC. Iirc Steve Hoffman himself stated that all OJC were all analogue and claimed to have seen the evidence.
Just curious, what makes you say that after 250 more are digital. You may be correct I dont know, but apparently there is some confusion due to OJC using the same sleeve printing for the CD’s as for their vinyl giving the wrong impression that they are digital.
Interesting thread, I read it a few years back,but after a while it goes on so much with forensic analysis/obsession of matrix numbers etc that I was pulling OJC’s left right and centre from my racks and soon found myself losing the will to live :grin:
:heart:

However given the ES master has OJC written on it I’d guess OJC is from the same analogue tapes and that Steve is correct. US OJC though. German are pretty aweful.

1 Like

Not sure what it is with those record shops but the same happens to me quite regularly as well …

1 Like

Update time for this purchase.

s-l300

As a couple of you mentioned earlier the original pressing of CSTW is very good and I agree. It’s one of the albums I’d choose to play to visitors to show off the capabilities of the system. The Pure Pleasure pressing was also lauded but as I haven’t heard that I can only comment on the original pressing and the one step MoFi pressing.

I listened to the album and thought wow, this is really really good. So I summoned Mrs Steve O to the listening room to make sure I wasn’t wanting to hear how good it was and played it from start to finish again. Her jaw hit the floor too. “Play the original now” she said. So I did. It wasn’t even close. The one step has so much punch, power and slam it’s amazing. The dynamics are incredible and there is so much delicacy too. The original sounded great too at first but it was a bit like when you remove a black box from your system after an audition - it quickly dawns on you there’s a certain something that isn’t there anymore. Mrs Steve O probably summed it up best when she said “this one is like listening to a record, the other is like listening to the band”.

It has to be the best recording I own, but I doubt I’ll buy another are the words I offered to Mrs Steve O.
“What if they do “In Step”?. What if they do the first two Rory Gallagher albums? What if they do “Steve McQueen”?” she countered.

Never say never I guess.

5 Likes

Yes ojc - 612. It sounds very good.

I believe Mirror Man was put out so that we could hear what Strictly Personal “should have sounded like”, and it is another favourite but not quite up there with SP. My gatefold die cut sleeve is Ok’ish but I guess storing it in a plastic sleeve would have been a good plan…hindsight that most groovy of bedfellows!

Did anyone see the Captain around this time 68 or so, would love to have been at The Roundhouse for those gigs? Saw him in 71 or 72 at The Royal Albert Hall, a packed house, probably at the peak of his popularity, great gig.

Crosby, Stills and Nash is coming later this year. That one I may find impossible to resist.

Disappointed though that Eldorado has been shelved.

1 Like

6 Likes

Hi Slamdam,
Cant see who wrote that article, not particularly definitive in my view and just the authors own assumptions.
Tape hiss and barcodes for example are not in my experience indicators of anything analogue v digital.
Thanks for sharing it though

Third Man Vault of Trout Mask Replica in all its finery.
Opened at work. My Section Manager was intrigued…

5 Likes

Wait till he hears it!

1 Like

I’ll lend him my old copy…

I’ll either get a raise or get fired!

I bought a copy on RSD last year or the year before, I think it’s the same cut as yours without all the goodies, not played it yet…I have a lot like that…the original “Straight” pressing never sounded very good to me. That looks like a delightful package.

1 Like

The copy you bought and the Vault are the same mastering (Chris Bellman out of Bernie G iirc) - my black vinyl copy sounded great, so hopefully the Vault multi coloured discs will be noise-free.

Quite a step up over my Straight Trout as I recall.

It arrived! Maybe they were just trying to put the frighteners in a few after stock/order ratios…?

Though made classic error when putting on for the first time and thinking her voice has changed…Which happens when playing at 33 instead of prescribed 45 rpm. Still kinda worked though…

3 Likes

I was pleased with the Music On Vinyl Toots & The Maytals re issues so couldnt resist trying some more of their Reggae titles…
The great Ken Boothe, most people will be familiar with his hit cover of Everything I Own and perhaps the follow up Crying Over You, the rest of the album is quality soulful Reggae, not filler, originally on Trojan Recods in 1974

The absolutely essential Classic Ijahman Levi - Are We A Warrior originally on Island Records from 1979
This album will need little introduction, I have vinyl already and both the expanded 2CD Legacy issues of this and Legalise It, but I stumbled across the 2LP edition half price on Juno, shall I shan’t I I pondered, in the end I couldnt resist a Bank Holiday bargain. Pity they didnt make it a gatefold though
Peter Tosh - Equal Rights - Columbia 2LP Legacy edition

Great service as usual from Juno and Royal Mail

2 Likes

@ChrisG
Very quick play tonight between a couple of tracks from the Chris Bellman Third Man cut of Trout Mask Replica and the UK Straight first pressing. The Straight sounds better than I remembered! I think it’s partly my system being better too.
CB’s cut gives slightly more detail, but the Straight is no slouch.
I used to have a 70s/80s reissue of the album, now gone. I’ll take either of these over that.

Out of sentiment and because I like originals - I’ll keep both!

2 Likes

Herbie Hancock - Taking Off , Blue Note 80 (2019)

I’ve never owned this on vinyl and this Kevin Gray remaster looks excellent value.

9 Likes

8 Likes