What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Another fine offering from Intervention Records.

8 Likes

First time to my local - although about 8 miles away - record shop. Loved just being able browse again so I had a bit of a splurge.

8 Likes

John Coltrane - The Stardust Sessions, Prestige (1975).

Remastered at the Fantasy Studios this reissue includes all of the Stardust Sessions from 1958 a couple of which where released on the Bahia record.

2 Likes

A friends father supposedly has this (I’ve never seen it as it’s in the US). Two flats in the same appartment building, one essentially just for record storage…

With that many records I do wonder how many really get any play. A lot are probably only played once or twice?

1 Like

New Sons of Kemet album has been on heavy rotation since it came out…

3 Likes

Hi @TheKevster, I have had a look at the available Third Man copies of Trout Mask Replica on Discogs and I’m afraid they are a little too expensive for me! I am happy enough with my Reprise copy, it’s a near mint/mint copy.

I carried on to look at Strictly Personal and found a few copies on the Blue Thumb label, which sounds familiar from reading previous posts on here. While it is nice to have rare copies of LPs I am more interested in the sound quality, so from your experience is the SQ better on the likes of the Blue Thumb label and worth seeking out?

Or should I just not worry about it and get nice mint copies irrespective of the label and just enjoy the music, life’s too short and all that!

Hi @Martin.M – I can’t talk about Strictly Personal as I don’t have it at all – but I have got first presses of all the early Pointer Sisters albums on Blue Thumb, and they sound fantastic.

Thanks for that @TheKevster, much appreciated. Ahh the Pointer Sisters, Mrs M has a couple of old Pointer Sisters LPs, I’ll have to dig them out now and see what they are! Happy listening.

1 Like

I have US Blue Thumb Strictly Personal in mono and stereo… they sound fine, but to get a EX/NM copy would be expensive and difficult I’d think.

The later UK (Liberty) Sunset reissue (no gatefold) is very good too, for much less £££. But I just like originals, even if my wallet doesn’t :grinning:

2 Likes

Just spent a couple of hours int’ garden pulling weeds and this arrived today.
Amy Winehouse, Frank.
Playing stops work.

8 Likes

Yes I reckon so @steviebee, a NM would be expensive, however I have some VG+ LPs that play fine so I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk / compromise. Also as I bought a new cartridge recently the thought of it tracking over scratchy grimy vinyl makes me cringe!

@Martin.M

Like you I’ve had many a VG+ that are closer to EX.
Worth a shot if the description is positive, I reckon.

I think the original UK (not the Sunset) were gatefold too. And good SQ I’d think.

Good hunting.

1 Like

Beautiful pressing and beautiful packaging apart from the stiff card inner with no poly liner come on Naim sort it out. As I said a real shame because everything else was top notch but these plain stiff paper liners can scuff and damage records.

My favourite Amy record have yet to try the Abbey Rd reissue though if any members have please post your comments.

1 Like

A recent finding, great music indeed, not a perfect recording (hissing and grainy) buy very lively. For those interested, beware, It Is not red…rather a dense dull and slightly sickening pinkish red… :confused:

1 Like

Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings and Plays From The Film Lets Get Lost, Novus (1989)

I’ve been hunting a reasonably priced copy of this Soundtrack of Bill Webbers excellent film for ages. Very Happy.

4 Likes

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams, ECM (2017)

I’ve been listening to this on Tidal since it came out but as it’s now available on Amazon for a bargain £20 I couldn’t resist. A real Jazz Supergroup Quartet featuring Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and Django Bates who beautifully compliment Anouar Brahem.

7 Likes

@YetiZone @Jamiewednesday my copy of St Vincent - Daddy’s Home is crackly in the last 2-3 tracks on side A, through both channels. I take it your copies are clean? (@Jamiewednesday I recall you’ve had a replacement already)

For the money it costs I’d really expect a pretty clean cut. The 35 year old copy of k.d.lang Shadowlands I bought on the same day is completely noiseless.

So I guess I’m reluctantly taking it back.

Original returned as had a line of noise at same point on radius throughout side A. My replacement was fine when it arrived next day.

1 Like

My copy isn’t perfect surface noise wise, but a pass on the Okki Nokki significantly improved things - although there is still a little light crackle here and there, but on balance it is (just about) acceptable as it’s perfectly flat copy. As there are so many quiet passages on the album, a good pressing is certainly needed. I may buy another copy or plunge for the CD at some point. I’ve had worse new pressings in comparison, which were returned.

1 Like