What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

No problem :slight_smile:

I don’t know about the KOB pressings, but the 2 UHQRs I have and all the MoFi one-step have been excellent. It’s hardly representative of the thousands pressed, but I have 2 friends that also bought all the titles and they’ve not complained about the pressings. I am sure some ‘bad’ ones slip through the quality control, in which case they can be returned and the company will exchange (I had some issues with a Mofi 45rpm and an AP 45 rpm too which were promptly replaced with no questions). Generally, I would guess that they have a much tighter quality control - as they should for the price they’re charging.

Anyway, it’ll be a while before I get my KOB, but I am keen to hear how it compares to the Classic, since it comes from the source. I have to say, I was hesitant before taking the plunge as every issue I bought after the Classic (MoFi 45rpm, Sony Anniversary) was a step backwards. If it wasn’t for Fremer saying it is significantly better than the Classic, I might have skipped.

1 Like

Based on your comment, that leaves 20% sub par ie 1 in 5, that’s not good and certainly not “truly flawless”

:joy:
Mine is fine just to be contrary. :+1:
:heart:

1 Like

Iirc I read on Acoustic Sounds that the UHQR “has taken it up a notch” (over the Classic pressing)
That could mean anything, I read it as not a big difference otherwise I dont think they would describe it so ambiguously.

With regard to pressings and as you say a few bad ones getting through, ordinarily that’s fair enough. What isn’t fair enough in my view is to describe the manufacturing as -
Every UHQR will be hand inspected upon pressing completion, and only the truly flawless will be allowed to go to market -

When this doesnt appear, based on end user reports (1 in 5 if we take Bobthebuilders estimate) , to be the case.

I read Mikey Fremer and Analogue Planet quite regularly and bought quite a few records based on his reviews, however I dont view him to be particularly impartial when discussing matters relating to Chad Kaseem/AP/QRP

1 Like

Just to add in Mikeys own words emphasising the first part re Classic Records (complete with hyperbolic second half of paragraph)…

The two Classic Records reissues sound closest to the new UHQR and to suggest that the UHQR is a “must have” if you have either of those or the Quiex 200g version would be hyperbolic so I’m not going to suggest that, but were you to buy the UHQR and your turntable is sufficiently resolving, precise and quiet, the difference between the Classic and QRP UHQR is significant, almost like putting on 3D glasses or focusing an out of focus pair of binoculars—never mind the focus difference between the UHQR and the original pressing.

1 Like

I don’t know about everyone else but I have a number of LPs that look absolutely flawless but upon playback, are not. Whilst every LP coming off the press may well be ‘hand inspected’, at best, this will only reveal obvious damage/scratches; it certainly won’t reveal any issues down in the groove that could result in noise on playback.

Personally, I’ve found that AP and MoFi records are no less immune from pressing faults/damage/noise than any others; in fact, anecdotally I would say I’ve returned a higher percentage of them for replacement than ‘regular’ LPs.

I’ve had more than one MoFi pressing with gouges around the circumference on the lead-in, and returned an AP pressing just a couple of weeks ago due to a steady stream of pops and clicks. Given the material was acoustic and the LP cost £90, as has been said earlier, it is not unreasonable to expect something being marketed (and charged accordingly) on its sound/pressing quality to be a ‘cut’ above the normal standard.

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky.

I have taken a punt on the KoB from Miles Davis’ US store so really hope I get a good one; I imagine trying to return it would be difficult at best.

Cheers,

Ian

2 Likes

Just to labour the point ad nauseam, their not being marketed as “a cut above” but “truly flawless”

Expensive punt, sincerely hope it works out for you
Atb

Labour away! I hear you and it’s clear from the marketing quote, that’s how the UHQR are being represented to the punter. I fundamentally disagree that the method of inspection they are using can guarantee the claim they are making. So, I think we are in agreement!

My remark re a, ‘cut above’, relates to the generic AP/MoFi pressings; marketed as premium based on sound and pressing quality but not always achieving the expected standard.

I too hope it works out; otherwise I will have to just keep listening to my Legacy Edition which to be fair, sounds better to me than any of the digital versions I have (including Hi-Res).

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

1 Like

Nice.

8 Likes

Mine’s not arrived yet :disappointed_relieved:

Weekend entertainment sorted

1 Like

Isis Ain’t No Backin’ Up Now, US Buddah Records, the second and afaik last album from this all-women band, 1975. Joining their first which I happened across last year.

Brubeck Time Further Out recent Impex reissue.

3 Likes

Think Jazz In Britain only received stock a few days ago.
Mine arrived this afternoon.
Hope you are feeling better Dread.

1 Like

Bob Dylan - Planet Waves

2 Likes

This just arrived. Sadly it will be going back as there’s some nasty blasts of crunch noise on a few tracks - sounds like non-fill. I can forgive a tiny bit but this is too much. I’m guessing this was pressed by Optimal? Optimal can be great but non-fill can be an issue with their pressings I find.

4 Likes

Cheers Neil, I recieved an email a couple of days ago saying they were shipping, maybe tomorrow.
Yes I am thanks, seasonal thing I get every year sinus/ chronic head pain.
Cheers

1 Like

Richard, my first copy had non fill on side 2. The replacement is perfect, so…good luck with yours!

1 Like

No problems with this one though. Very good indeed! Nice pressing, great sound, and a lovely thick card sleeve. Well done Craft!

7 Likes

Friday drop from the ever prompt and reliable Juno/Royal Mail
The Black Keys has been getting a lot of love on WYLT and I’ve been enjoying streaming it

Delta Kream ( Nonesuch 2LP)

Have also been enjoying the excellent new album from the Wailing Souls - Back A Yard which I posted the vinyl of here a while back, now heres the equally excellent matching Dub reconstruction produced by Alborosie…

Back A Yard Dub (Greensleeves LP)

Now wheres my Don Rendell, Lou Reed and…and…
Edit, side 2 of Back A Yard Dub has an issue with the pressing, multiple skips, pity