What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Just picked up these two today from my mate at Stash Records.

![image|603x500]

8 Likes

Nice sideboard n vase :+1:

1 Like

Full of cds this one.

1 Like

What a fine record. Born out of a harrowing life, but I guess that’s where the soul comes from.

5 Likes

White vinyl version, maybe its a grower, listening to the streams hasn’t grabbed me.

2 Likes

I got a black replacement today. It doesn’t have the crackling of the bronze vinyl.

It has a different flaw, exactly as @Jamiewednesday described!

Hopefully the fourth (!) replacement copy will be ok.

Oh good grief - how very frustrating, hope the replacement is better.

There are only 3 albums in the new batch of UHQR. Kind of Blue, Aqualung and Axis Bold as Love. There are a few more in MoFi’s One-step series (i think there are about 10-12 titles or thereabouts now). You could say that the two products are equivalent and priced more or less the same. They’re not the only game in town of course. The recent Impex Patricia Barber Modern Cool plays in that territory too.

My experience of these pressings has generally been extremely positive, even compared to whatever pressing you care to compare to. Some are better than others, but there’s not a duff one there. Are they worth the price? That is a value question that only the buyer can answer, but I’ve not heard better versions than these.

I’ve not received the Kind of Blue yet. I am keen to compare it to the Classic QSVX copy that I have, as they were taken fro the same master and therefore the only difference is the actual pressing and vinyl formulation. For most of the others, they were remastered as far as I know.

1 Like

My replacement was fine, so fingers crossed…

Lot of complaints about noisy UHQR KOB pressings on another forum. Not all bad but a fair proportion
When a company states that they are producing the purest quality pressing and only the “truly flawless will make it to market” and are charging top dollar, then I think one should reasonably expect to recieve a flawless pressing.
My original question that I’m really interested in though on a musical level was
“could anyone explain how UHQR subjectively sounds better than other well regarded pure AAA masterings pressings.
I understand the blurb of how their manufactured, I’m interested to understand what listeners are hearing in the the actual sound”.
Edit: a couple of other members were commenting on faulty UHQR pressings previously to which I replied. I mistakenly thought your reply to me was in that context hence my comment above re the pressing quality. Sorry for my confusion

Btw I do have the Classic that this new UHQR is sourced from and to add to your examples Craft records have/are also doing their equivalent of a One Step process
Cheers
:heart:

I always avoid Coloured records and whenever possible go for the black variant as a lot of problems seem to stem from these coloured issues.

Changing your tune a bit there Bob?
:thinking:

Per ordered for 20th August from Ninja Tune.
After all this talk about poor coloured vinyl went for the black version…:sunglasses::+1:t2::grin:

1 Like

Snap Richard I got a message this week saying that my copy had been returned by the couriers as they’d damaged it??

So I’m going to have to wait it out but it will be a real treat when I do get a copy and in the mean time I’ve lots of other great music to listen to.

I know this record very well but until now had never heard a vinyl copy and this is one of the rare occasions lately (with non ‘audiophile’ releases) that the vinyl really lived up to my expectations.

Digital files are really catching up with vinyl especially when a vinyl release is either an after thought or done lazily but this ECM pressing is excellent.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Bob.

1 Like

I have the Classic Quiex 200g version too, so it’ll be interesting to compare that and the UHQR side by side…

1 Like

Hope you aren’t one of the unlucky ones who’ve had a noisy pressing
:heart:

Actually my Classic is a bit noisy on the first side! The UHQR is coming from the States so hasn’t arrived yet.

1 Like

Reading over on the SH forum (not all 200 odd pages) the general consensus I’d say 80% plus is that this UHQR pressing is excellent and in the opinion of many who have the 33rpm Classic it is an improvement on that pressing to.

Hearing it yourself on your own system is the only true test and when I get mine eventually I have five other copies to compare it to though the only one worth comparing it with IMO is the RSD Mono unless of course you have an original 6 eye Mono.

I used to own the MOFI but sold it when I bought the RSD Mono which was much better and with out the hassle of deboxing and flipping sides almost every track.