1 Like

No I’m not, sounds just wonderful.

2 Likes

Where from please?

Amazon I think.

1 Like

download
Trifonov: Silver Age
Slated to attend his recital this fall playing some program from this album.

Yes. But 1995 pressing is 180g and 2000 reissue is done on 200g.
I read somewhere that later 200g Classic Record pressing is not as good as 180g pressing due to press was optimised for lighter weight vinyl.

I recall Classic Records experimenting with different weight vinyl. I have the one with 140g pressing. ( The Who Who Are You ) Later they had to include a revised reissue vinyl claiming there was an error with the original reissue.

1 Like

Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids

13 Likes

Yes I have the Classic 140g of The Who - My Generation Mono master, I think it’s pretty good and no issue with the pressing
:heart:

2020 remaster. Doesn’t come anywhere near my 1984 original. Waste of money.

3 Likes

rg

The triple vinyl 50th Anniversary release of his debut solo offering.
Other than Zeppelin, the one act I would have loved to have seen live.

4 Likes

That’s a shame. The original vinyl issue was a real thrill to listen to.

Yes the original has always sounded superb. With all the great reissues coming out over the past few years, I thought this might have been improved. I did quite a bit of research on which might be the best; the 2017 reissue, 2016 white vinyl or this 2020. The 2017 gets a lot of negativity about vinyl noise, so that was instantly off. This 2020 issue uses the same master as the white vinyl, which was very limited, so that is now off. I’ll stick with my original.

13 Likes

One of the greatest records of the '80s but unfortunately not a great recording/mastering…at least until this Abbey Road reissue.
I was not expecting anything special but I had to change my mind.
A remarkable job in every aspect, it’s not a reissue it’s a resurrection.

1 Like

Iron Maiden - Senjustsu (2021) Triple vinyl.

Eddie looks a bit scary here. :grimacing: :laughing:

4 Likes

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz To Come, Atlantic/Speakers Corner (2021)

I’ve come completely backwards to this record after listening to mid to late 60’s Ornette Coleman which just confused the life out of me I’d decided he wasn’t for me until I recently heard Lonely Woman on radio station in Spain and it blew me away.

5 Likes

Due to my Hubbard bias I am already familiar with the digital version of this album. After three tries to obtain this pressing, I just received my flat final copy. The first one was warped a bit and the sound made me doubt what all the excitement was about and if I should ask a refund instead of a replacement. The 2nd copy sounded even worse…as it was lost in transit :sunglasses:

Moments after cleaning (much needed, as it was very dusty for a new pressing) my perfectly flat final copy and I now get it. Had no idea a warp could make such a negative difference. This is a big enhancement to what I was listening to digitally and on the warped version. The moment Bill Evans finishes his solo on Stolen Moments it all sounds so clear, big and there. Hubbard on Cascades is in my room, I could not be happier with this and will play it to shreds.

I can, because I just heard the lost record was found after a week and will be arriving tomorrow and I can keep it. Good times!

Rex’ vinyl #54

Oliver Nelson Sextet - Blues and The Abstract Truth
Pressing 2021 / Impulse! Verve A5 / Acoustic Sounds Series

7 Likes

Haha! It blew me away too the first time I heard it. It was being played by David Freeman on his evening programme on Jazz FM in the mid-90s. That was in the days before I had access to internet and certainly before Twitter and ‘playingnowbots’. I had to write to him at the radio station to find out what it was and which album he had been playing. He pointed me to this album, which opened all sorts of other avenues.

BTW @Bobthebuilder if you like The Shape of Jazz to Come, it’s definitely worth investigating Change of the Century too, which IIRC was recorded in the same year.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive I’ve listened briefly to Change of the Century and This is Our Music which I enjoyed as well as Something Else but after that like Coltrane Ornette loses me but like Coltrane I’m really enjoying his early stuff.