What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

This arrived today, A Paean to Wilson by The Durutti Column. It’s a triple album, beautifully presented and with a stunning cover photo by Stephen Wright, our very own @sjw

6 Likes

Like which for example?

The 180g Capitol Vaults series. Anything is better than these…

2 Likes

I think there might be a reason why they go for little money.
To be fair I’ve not played it in a long while and my TT has improved considerably in the last couple of years so I might revisit and see if I still feel the same

I’m not familiar with those, had a quick look at a couple of random titles mastered either at Abbey Road or Capitol, lacquers cut by Ron McMaster so would look promising. Is the issue the Rainbo pressing who dont have a good reputation and/or poor source masters (this would surprise me)

The few I have are just awful - they sound really flat and unexciting and the pressing’s not up to much either. I remember posting about one of them here, The Beach Boys Surf’s Up. I had a '70s US issue which was nice if a little noisy and “played” so I was looking forward to getting a nice clean pristine new reissue. How disappointing! In the end I sprung for an Analogue Productions reissue, but also got a mint EMI 100 Centenary issue, which in many respects is my favourite of all.

1 Like

I bought the first two Band LPs when they were issued under the Capitol Vault imprint and they were very poor.

1 Like

Yes, I think one of my others was The Band. Again, the EMI Centenary and Millennium issues of both albums were far superior.

1 Like

Similar to my view of 4MWB Dusty In Memphis, dull, uninvolving, muddy, just plain boring and meh, just wrong!

I have no idea what music Mr Donald Byrd produces, but I strongly approve of his Jaguar car. I hope it was his, and not just a prop for the album cover shoot.

2 Likes

Nils Frahm - Tripping With Nils Frahm, a beautifully recorded live album across 4 sides with download code.

Hi @Richard.Dane

How do I rotate the image???

2 Likes

If images are appearing rotated then a little trick is to apply a small edit before you post - I do a small crop and the image data then presents properly.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go.

Success…

2 Likes

The good kind :+1:

1 Like

Oh wow. Played that last weekend from Qobuz, might have to see if I can buy a copy. Really enjoyed LC too.

Mattiel - Georgia Gothic, (Limited Edition ‘Hot Red’ Vinyl) + Signed Lyric booklet (300 copies), pre order via Bandcamp.

I didn’t know it was so cheap on there so I’ve ordered a copy as well. It is a lovely album.

My situation is similar. Out of curiosity I just played it, for the first time in many years. It’s a little coarser and thinner sounding than I remember, but a very enjoyable listen all the way through. Maybe not in the same league as, say, a Music Matters, but definitely one of the better reissues in my collection. Unless DiM is one of your Desert Island Discs, this should satisfy most people.

As an aside, I’m surprised by how few times this classic record has been reissued on vinyl. Discogs lists 33 LP versions total, of which only 10 were issued after 1970.

Just checking if I’m out of order. This isn’t “near mint” is it? I will not name names, but was interested in second opinion of condition/grading