What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

There isn’t a tune called what a talent on my copy? :wink:
:heart:

I can only assume everyone has much better charity record shop stocks near them than I do. I reckon the only way I could get decent records from the ones round here would be if I donated my own and then bought them back.

8 Likes

The Acoustic Sounds/Impulse 60th issue.

16 Likes

Matthew Halsall - Salute To The Sun Live At Halle St Peters (Gondwana 3 sided LP)

From Bandcamp

Btw the concert film is now a a available to view on YouTube

1 Like

Had a fare into Worthing so had a look in Music Mania, a little shop just off the Seafront. Last time I went there years ago it was almost all used CD’s. It’s now crammed with new and used vinyl and open seven days a week, run by the very friendly and helpful Di.

Didnt have a lot of time but came out with this trio of Lee Scratch Perry Black Ark period compilations from Winston Edward’s Studio 16 label and a fiver off for cash!

Disco Devil - Vol 2

Colin Young (Seewhy audio) who does the restoration and transfer work gave me 4 volumes a little while back (posted previously) but didnt have Vol 2 so pleased to complete all 5 volumes.
Compiled from original rare as hens teeth and bankers bonus price JA 12" singles.

The Black Emperor Vol 1

This time compiled from the A sides (vocals) of original rare JA 7" singles

Dubwise Anthology - Vol 1

The B sides (Dub versions) of the above

Probably not for “audiophiles” but Colin does a great job on the audio with minimal technological interference.

Will certainly be returning to Music Mania when I have more time for a proper rummage across all genres.

5 Likes

PRE ORDER

John Coltrane Quintet - Crescent, Atlantic /Acoustic Sounds (2022)

John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman, Atlantic/Acoustic Sounds (2022)

When the Acoustic Sounds list came out it was these two and Ballads that jumped out at me. Also on Pre Order is Live at the Village Vanguard which I might pick later if I can find one reduced as it’s not my favourite.

Strangely all three records are priced differently Crescent was £37 from Amazon, Hartman was £29 from Juno and Live@ is priced at £35 from Juno anyway II suspect these will fly especially the Johnny Hartman which is pretty rare nowadays.

6 Likes

I love Jussi Bjorling’s tenor voice. I have the same music on CD and I wanted to see if I could tell the difference between the two and I slightly preferred the LP.

I’m cheating a little as I’ve not actually bought this (yet) but just appeared at my inbox and thought you vinyl jazzers might appreciate the heads up

OC_ROUNDTRIP_LP_BOX_PRODSHOT_FINAL

Iconoclastic saxophonist and composer Ornette Coleman shook the jazz world when he arrived at the Five Spot Café in New York City in 1959 and began his run of seminal albums on Atlantic that laid the foundation for the free jazz movement to come. After a period of disillusionment during which he withdrew from public music making, Coleman re-emerged on Blue Note in 1966 and began writing an intriguing new chapter of his legendary career.

The boxset Round Trip: Ornette Coleman On Blue Note presents all-analog 180g Tone Poet Vinyl Editions of all six albums featuring Coleman that were recorded for Blue Note Records, including his five albums as a leader—the two-volume At The ‘Golden Circle’ Stockholm (1965), The Empty Foxhole (1966), New York Is Now! (1968), and Love Call (1968)—as well as his lone sideman appearance on New And Old Gospel (1967) by fellow saxophonist Jackie McLean. The boxset includes a booklet featuring rare photos and an enlightening essay by critic Thomas Conrad.

The Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series is produced by Joe Harley and features all-analog, mastered-from-the-original-master-tape 180g audiophile vinyl reissues packaged in deluxe Stoughton Printing “Old Style” Gatefold Tip-On Jackets. Mastering is by Kevin Gray (Cohearent Audio), and vinyl is manufactured at Record Technology Incorporated (RTI).

TRACKLIST

LP 1

At the Golden Circle Stockholm Vol. 1

Live From The Golden Circle, Stockholm / 1965

Announcement / Faces And Places (SIDE A)
European Echoes (SIDE A)
Dee Dee (SIDE B)
Dawn (SIDE B)
Ornette Coleman (alto sax, trumpet, violin); David Izenzon (bass); Charles Moffett (drums)

LP 2

At the Golden Circle Stockholm Vol. 2

Live From The Golden Circle, Stockholm / 1965

Snowflakes And Sunshine (SIDE A)
Morning Song (SIDE A)
The Riddle (SIDE B)
Antiques (SIDE B)
Ornette Coleman (alto sax); David Izenzon (bass); Charles Moffett (drums)

LP 3

The Empty Foxhole

Good Old Days (SIDE A)
The Empty Foxhole (SIDE A)
Sound Gravitation (SIDE A)
Freeway Express (SIDE B)
Faithful (SIDE B)
Zig Zag (SIDE B)
Ornette Coleman (alto sax, trumpet, violin); Charles Haden (bass); Denardo Coleman (drums)

LP 4

New York Is Now!

The Garden Of Souls (SIDE A)
Toy Dance (SIDE A)
We Now Interrupt For A Commercial (SIDE B)
Broad Way Blues (SIDE B)
Round Trip (SIDE B)
Ornette Coleman (alto sax); Dewey Redman (tenor sax); Jimmy Garrison (bass)
Elvin Jones (drums)

LP 5

Love Call

Airborne (SIDE A)
Love Call (SIDE A)
Open To The Public (SIDE B)
Check Out Time (SIDE B)
Ornette Coleman (alto sax, trumpet); Dewey Redman (tenor sax); Jimmy Garrison (bass)
Elvin Jones (drums)

LP 6

New And Old Gospel

Lifeline
Offspring B. Midway C. Vernzone D. The Inevitable End (SIDE A)
Old Gospel (SIDE B)
Strange As It Seems (SIDE B)
Jackie McLean (alto sax); Ornette Coleman (trumpet);
Lamont Johnson (piano); Scott Holt (bass); Billy Higgins (drums)

5 Likes

Just delivered:

Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - First Flight To Tokyo: The Lost Rcordings.

11 Likes

Mines on it’s way too looking forward to the whole package

It’s a lovely package but mine has arrived with a scratch on side one. Not even got as fas as the RCM. Not happy.

Is the paper inner lined or just paper?

These are not inexpensive items quality control should pick these things up it’s poor. Is it Optimal again?

It’s lined paper. I always put them in Mofi inners once washed. Records never go back in the original inner, although I may keep it if it is more than just plain paper.

Yes, it’s Optimal again I’m afraid.

I’ve requested a replacement from Blue Note. They are usually very good about replacements.

1 Like

Ouch!

Just arrived from Juno – the latest in Knitting Factory’s series of Fela Kuti boxes. This latest one was compiled by Femi Kuti and, bizarrely, Chris Martin of Coldplay. Who knew?

3 Likes

Trunk Records EP - Roger Webb/Barbara Moore. Short and sweet !

1 Like

11 Likes

Just arrived…Speakers Corner version. Not sure I can wait to clean this before giving it a late night spin later :grinning:

6 Likes

Balimaya Project - Wolo So (Jazz Re:Freshed)

From Bandcamp.
Props to @BlueCanary for drawing my attention to this on the WYLT thread

Driving collective polyrhythms, blazing frontline horns & virtuosic kora stylings collide across this dynamic meeting of traditional Mandé music/culture and contemporary jazz

2 Likes

I’m curious as to how that Bill Evan’s sounds

Labels like DOL, DOXY, WAXTIME, JAZZWAX and other similar unauthorised/public domain labels I usually avoid