What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I’m afraid I’m a raw beginner and have nothing to compare the recording or mixing quality to, except the streams available.
The surface finish and the playing capability is good, very few if any crackles and pops. Even my personal anathema towards coloured vinyl seems unfounded. The only recent vinyl that I have found lacking in sound quality is the Italian film scores from Chet Baker. Many tracks on that sound as though they were recorded in a cinema with a hand held mini Grundig, :-). For the rest I may well change my mind on how they sound as I get more in to what I like and start to look for original recordings rather than these re records.

1 Like

British Sea Power. Just dive in if you have not already! Great soundscape and songs. Red rock riviera is fantastic. Especially if you have been exposed to Disco Elysium… :blush:

1 Like

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, First Flight to Tokyo, just arrived and no scratches found so far! It’s a lovely package with a fascinating booklet and six postcards. Sound quality is first class. Fingers crossed that the other three sides are ok.

7 Likes

First release of Submotion orchestra’s first album just arrived. Sounds nicely mastered and lovely quiet vinyl. Superb

The problem with labels like DOL is they often use dubious sources like physical CD’s or other low quality sources. Their not usually licenced from the artists estate so no royalties are being paid. They exploit public domain loopholes which basically means they can release the music freely from any old source.
They are cheap and may serve as a taster but if the SQ is substandard you may find yourself dismissing some music which you might otherwise enjoy when heard taken from a proper master source.
The vinyl itself may be well pressed but that’s only part of the story.
Search the internet theres plenty information including Discogs on why to avoid these unofficial issues.
As a suggestion, the Bill Evan’s title for example could probably be bought in decent condition used on an OJC vinyl reissue for little more than the price of a DOL or similar. Your Rega (I think that’s what your using) will show what your missing.
Not trying to be critical or patronising, hopefully constructive.
Enjoy
:heart:

1 Like

I didn’t take it in any other way than as informative. Thanks for pointing this out. I have had a look for a Riverside reissue of the Bill Evans ‘Portrait’. I have found a mint late reissue from Riverside 2013. Any thoughts? I would like to compare quality but with the originals in the £135-200 mark for near mint or mint I’m not quite ready.

OJC (Original Jazz Classics) are sourced from proper masters and sound very good
:+1:

1 Like

This one

2 Likes

If the 2013 issue you refer to is the D’Agostini Jazz At 33 pressing, that should be good. I dont have that particular pressing but all the D’Agostini issues are well regarded @Richard.Dane knows about these.
The 2011 OJC US pressing, or any of the earlier OJC’s you wont go far wrong
:+1:

Thanks Dread. Agostini for now. I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with that one (the Jazz at 33 1/3), but as you say, the D’Agostini jazz reissues are generally not at all bad, and sometimes really rather good - properly licensed, very well pressed (usually MPO or Optimal) and certainly better than a dodgy one from DOL, Doxy etc…

The OJCs are usually very good.

1 Like

@bruss
See Richards comment above
As he is also not familiar with this particular D’Agostini I would play safe and see if theres a pocket friendly OJC, there all good, German or US 1983 issues through to the 2011 US OJC pressed at RTI.
:heart:

1 Like

Alfa Mist - Two For Mistake EP, Anti Records PRE ORDER

Though the vinyl isn’t out until February next year (available on. pre order from Rough Trade) the digital version is available on Bandcamp.

7900-1_10inch_disco-innersleeve_v92012-StickerPlacement-REF

2 Likes

Herbie Nichols - The Prophetic Vol 1&2, Blue Note Reissue (2021)

Original released in the mid 1950’s as two 10" records.

2 Likes

Booker Ervin - “The book”, Bethlehem Reissue (2021)
Featuring an all star cast this an excellent collection of songs. The cover isn’t such good quality as the Nina Simone Bethlehem reissue or mastered by KG but the sound quality on this release is actually better.

2 Likes

A little beaten up in the post and only a year after ordering but sounding very nice…

1 Like

From Discogs…

8 Likes

HMV come up trumps pre Christmas vinyl

The war on Drugs - love thier new album and now this one back in stock A deeper Understanding

Muse The Resisdance = might be on quiet loud

Goldfrapp - Tales of Us = stunning delicate on of her best

11 Likes

These are actually very good and for £15 a steal.

I saw Muse headlining the Isle of Wight about 14 years ago and they blew everybody else away including The Stones.

1 Like