What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I have a Miles Davis live at The Blackhawk six eye mono 1st press the double one that looked ruined but after a couple of cleans it plays beautifully with a few crackles like yours but that’s all.

Exactly my experience, after a good scrub up on the RCM my copy is totally silent start to finish despite looking like someone ran a speedway bike around it. If you read my post that I linked there is also what looks like serious groove damage on one track as though something ploughed up the groove, again despite my trepidation plays and sounds superb.
The wooshing sound your hearing could possibly be some non fill rather than groove wear?

I’m sure early microgroove LP’s pre 1970’s were manufactured to better standards, vinyl formulations, groove profile etc that make them more durable. I’ve many very old records that havent been so well cared for that play beautifully, if the same mark’s, scuffs scratches etc were on a new record without doubt would sound terrible.

Anyway great to hear you’ve had a result
:heart:

@Bobthebuilder bob , yes, it just goes to show what can be brought back to life with a RCM. I haven’t got many examples of original 60s vinyl, but the ones I have are very good. A relative has recently given me their collection of 60s & 70s classical records - Decca, EMI and Deutsche Grammophon labels, and the quality is certainly evident.

@Dreadatthecontrols , ah, I missed that link, thanks for that… Nice to have the history behind the album, and received from a family member too. Also, great to see a back ash LP12. My first Sondek was a lovely black ash variant and I like it as much as the fluted afro decks.

2 Likes

A nice little haul from the local secondhand record store yesterday…

rekids

Rolling Stones - Lonesome & Blue. EX/NM.
Hall & Oates - H2O. EX/EX.
The Cult - Sonic Temple. EX/EX
The Beatles Featuring Tony Sheridan. NM/NM. (A gem, this sounds astonishing).
The Beatles - With The Beatles. VG/VG (post clean). An early Mono pressing but in the marked down bargain crate due to it being filthy, covered in light scratches. Came up beautifully on the RCM.

12 Likes

Thanks Yetizone, the Uncle that gave it to me passed away a couple of years back, he’s left a nice collection of Jazz LP’s from the 50’s 60’s which his wife (my auntie) wants me to have. That will be a treat when I can arrange to collect them

If the Hall & Oates is an original Masterdisk cut then it can be a remarkable sounding bit of vinyl. Be warned when the snare drum kicks in on Man-eater…

2 Likes

Love this LP. First time trying MoFI Original Masters. Suddenly my system had more PRaT.

14 Likes

Richard, it is the Masterdisk variant so now I’m really intrigued. Not had chance to listen to it as its still in the RCM queue - over the weekend all being well.

The dead wax:

Matrix / Runout (Runout, A-side): RCALP 6056 A-1U-1-2 - X1 AFL1 - 4383 - A - UK MASTERDISK RL
Matrix / Runout (Runout, B-side): RCALP 6056 B-1U-1-2 - AFL1 - 4383 - B - UK MASTERDISK

Masterdisk RL bodes well…

1 Like

These two arrived earlier today. The Oliver Nelson Acoustic Sounds is just wonderful, beautifully packaged and sounds just lovely. The Nina Simone hasn’t been out yet.

8 Likes

You are in for a treat…

I am indeed. Mrs HH has just got back from the theatre, and her first comment was ‘this is nicely recorded, didn’t you have a version of this before?’ The sound of the upright bass is just wonderful, even on my tiny speakers. In fact it’s just wonderful full stop.

1 Like

The Oliver Nelson is a fantastic album, one of my all time favourite Jazz selections

The Nina Simone is due to arrive here today

1 Like

These two arrived today. Unfortantely the whole a-side seems to be poorly pressed on Aventine. The b-side is fine.

Now on to Relaxer. It sounds fine.

2 Likes

Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue (BMG/Bethlehem)

Kevin Gray mastered re issue of this lovely Nina Simone debut album from Diverse Vinyl. Will sit nicely with the recent Acoustic Sounds series Verve re issues of Pastel Blues and I Put A Spell On You.
I ordered black vinyl but I’ve recieved the Blue coloured variant, fingers crossed…

edit:
Disappointing my Blue copy is badly off centre on side one, shame as it otherwise sounds very good on side b
Edit I’m told by the shop that they have also had Black vinyl copies returned due to warping.

Anyone else had issues? (@anon4489532 @Debs @Richard.Dane

8 Likes

Beatles: Let it Be box set.

Not one I bought myself, but a very welcome present received at Christmas. The Glyn John’s mix of Get Back is fab! Nice book too…

13 Likes

Now that’s what I call packaging…well done Juno. Individual boxes, bubble wrap, all taped up with a plastic outer. I feel a bit guilty for the environmental impact though

So after sumo wrestling the packaging and injuring my finger…

da daaaa📯…

Dr Lonnie Smith - Breathe (Blue Note Gatefold 2LP)
The follow up album to All In The Mind (which was issued as a Tone Poet, this is a standard BN release) same line up and venue (I think) with the appearance of believe it or not Iggy Pop on 3 tracks including the excellent cover of Timmy Thomas & Betty Wright’s Why Cant We Live Togethor. Been enjoying this on stream and looking forward to hearing it on the black stuff

War - The Vinyl 1971 - 1975 (Rhino 5LP)

Been hesitating over this as each record is on coloured vinyl. I’m told the pressings are good though and it was priced very reasonably so…
The 5 Classic post Eric Burdon War albums
War
All Day Music
The World Is A Ghetto
Deliver The Word
Why Cant We Be Friends
Replica sleeves of the original albums with inserts and posters. Separate insert with notes in a slip case, very nicely done

7 Likes

Two pre orders from the Blue Note Classic series released 18th February

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

Lee Morgan - Caramba

3 Likes

Sony legacy reissue.

8 Likes

@SteveC post just reminded me of the Speakers Corner re issue of Patti Smith - Horses
Anyone heard it?
Cheers

1 Like