What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

A mint Beatles Collection blue box shouldn’t be too hard to find and, so long as it’s not a filled with later '80s pressings, will be AAA. They were available for around £100-150 a few years back, probably a bit more now, but still relatively affordable against the more recent mono box set.

I’m not familar with the Blue Box is it Stereo or Mono?

Discogs will help here (no pun intended)…

There was a red box of monos as well. I think it was rarer than the stereo blue box.

1 Like

You beat me to it, I was just looking it up, still quite pricey.
And for the Red Mono…

There’s a whole thread on the Steve Hoffman forum about the Beatles mono box and whether it will be repressed. Of course in reality they know nothing, but the consensus seems to be that there is unlikely to be a sufficient market for a repress given that the mono LPs were also all available individually as well as in the box. Unfortunately high second-hand prices don’t necessarily mean a large overall market. I would have thought that an AAA stereo set might capture a large enough market to be economically viable, but I have no idea whether that is practicable.

Quick question before I order has anyone used a seller called DODAX for LPs / CDs and if so did you have any problems.

Thanks Graham.

Yes, I’ve used them a couple of times in the past - they’re a good source of German market blu-rays. Overall they gave pretty good service but the orders did take a while to arrive, probably because they were shipped from continental Europe.

Thanks Richard much appreciated.

And the recent 2014 Mono Box

Given the very similar prices for the sets I might err on the side of the 2014 box or repress if it happens. I say this because I recall reading Sean McGee saying they were able to cut these with EQ that wasnt possible at the time they were originally made due to the limitations of the replay equipment then.
I have compared an original press of With The Beatles, which sounded close to mint (I posted the link above) with the Mono Box mastering and the latter certainly sounded fuller with deeper stronger Bass.

Until today I didnt know that these sets were so outrageously valued

1 Like

Dread - I think the Mono Masters compilation is the 3-album compilation included in the mono box, not the box set itself. See here:

2 Likes

Hwind

2019 live recording from the RAH. Hard rock does not get much better than this. Dave Brock is amazing.

3 Likes

Your right Clive. I misread the notes on Discogs, I’m not at home so dont have my set to hand.
I will edit/correct my post

£500 - £600 for the Blue Box and similar prices for the 2012 Stereo Box (sourced from the 2009 digital remasters)
So assuming one can get a mintish Blue Box and want AAA purity (assuming they were from the original masters which isnt clear) then for the Stereo set the Blue Box could be the way to go

I’ve used them a few times with no issues.

Yes, it’s been mentioned before in a number of places that the ideal is to have the Blue box for the Stereos and the White box for the monos.

1 Like

I tried them and they were hopeless. A German (?) Company using a UK web address. I ordered about 7 LP and they didn’t show as out of stock. They then started to arrive on dribs and drabs.paypal refunded and would never use again

Buddy Collette - Nice Day, mono 1st press

1 Like

If I might add a recommendation whilst on the subject of Beatles box sets. The Beatles Box:From Liverpool is well worth considering if one wants some excellent sounding records. Compiled in 1980, so pre digital obviously, this 8 lp set is a joy
Featuring 124 tracks, some of which are alternative versions, cut by the man himself Harry Moss and presented in poly lined inners. Apart from some questionable album covers and liner notes it’s a brill overview

3 Likes

I’m not sure thats neccesarily correct, CD came out from 1980 and digital recordings had been coming out on LP for quite a few years prior especially classical records. Analogue tapes must have first started to be transferred to digital at least from 1980 with the launch of CD so anything vinyl from there on could be open to question?

1 Like