What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Nice try Dread, but the tapes were not transferred until 1986 :smiley:

1 Like

Not trying anything Alan (I was editing my post before seeing your reply)
If we have reliable information that the first A/D Beatles transfers werent done until '86 then fair enough. For anything else, unless there is reliable information, could be open to question.

1 Like

Looked it up on Discogs, the few reviews are very positive. Theres a video review too, I havent watched it at the mo but might be of interest

4 Likes

Not sure I can add anything but I seem to remember there being quite a bit about Beatles reissues etc in hi-fi news and quite a bit written by KK - he’s got some bits on his own website - not sure tho if they’re the ones you’re discussing - sorry if I’m butting in!

Personally I dont value KK ever since reading many years ago a “review” of a Rega turntable which was nothing of the sort, just a paranoid vitriolic polemic rant against certain British Audio companies

1 Like

Sorry…

1 Like

Hi - I have used them in the past - buying CDs - had no issues

:joy: just Joking…

It was the main reason for my stopping reading mainstream HiFi magazines though

Must admit I still read them - mainly to see what’s occurring in the audio world - I’m careful not to read too much into their views on equipment and such like - I just thought it might help - me and my big mouth :dizzy_face::grinning:

1 Like

Cheers Dread, the box set has gone up even more in my estimation :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @AlanP Just this second got around to watching that youtube review. Dont know anything about the guy but its very very interesting (to me at least as a non expert on The Beatles), particularly his view that the mono cuts here sound better than the recent 2014 Mono box set. (The tapes would have been fresher of course but as its a compilation would have been compiled to a next generation cutting master but by the original cutting engineer Harry Moss vs Sean McGee cutting from the original master)

2 Likes

@Dreadatthecontrols @Richard.Dane – the general consensus among Fabs-heads, Apple-watchers and vinyl obsessives is that they won’t. Although the box was sold out long ago, there are still plenty of new/unplayed mono copies of the separate albums floating about in the retail chain to satisfy demand. As far as I know the view from Apple is that there won’t be the demand for the box, at least not enough to make it financially viable. Apple is very unsentimental about these things, preferring to move forward on new projects, such as the physical release of Get Back and the remix of Revolver (maybe). But who knows?

4 Likes

For anyone looking for good quality advice on SQ of Beatles vinyl, CDs and even cassettes and R2Rs, I can recommend Andrew Milton’s excellent Parlogram channel. He uses good quality gear – Naim, Accuphase, Garrard, Technics, Rega, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ParlogramAuctions/videos

3 Likes

Very unlikely to happen.

Also, the masters aren’t at Abbey Road, they’re stored in a secret location, in bomb-proof conditions. They are, quite literally, the most valuable tapes in the world. Sean McGee and Giles Martin are both on the record as saying that while the tapes are in good condition for their age, Apple doesn’t like them being played too often (some of them have had to be baked, IIRC).

If, say, Harley or Gray were asked to work on them, they would have to do it at Abbey Road, as a) there’s no way that they would ever be allowed outside the UK; and b) only Abbey Road has the original tape machines and associated electronics. It would be an incredibly time consuming and expensive endeavour.

3 Likes

I am sure you are correct. Just interested in what Apple’s strategy is here? We have some quality Beatles reissues, but is their approach going forward to prioritise tape preservation over future attempts at ‘better’ remastering by those with track records of excellence? At what point do the tapes become relics?

Out of interest – and leaving aside the various outtake extras – are the recent Giles Martin remasters of Sgt Pepper’s/White Album/Abbey Road/Let it Be from the 2009 digital copies of the analogue tapes – or from the tapes themselves? I’m sure I read somewhere that he was using the digital copies.

Agree, his channel is excellent. Also, the stock on his website is usually in great condition as most records appear in breathtaking time warp condition, accompanied by respective prices naturally.

2 Likes

Yes, all recent Beatles issues on vinyl are from the digital copies of the master tapes apart from the mono AAA box set and corresponding single issue LPs. The recent box sets and associated LP pressings are remixed by Giles Martin and not just remastered.

1 Like

Thanks @TheKevster i think the youtube video review i posted is the Parlogram one :+1:

Help please…

Has anyone heard/bought this recent 2018/19 Parlophone label remaster of St Germain Tourist
Barcode 5099963622010 with hype sticker New Recut From The Original Master

There have been some appalling vinyl mastered re issues (since 2012) but according to Discogs all the issues affecting those previous issues have been corrected on this one.

Will be grateful, anyone?

How about a dedicated Beatles thread.