What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

I’ve been listening to this on Qobuz a fair bit lately and eventually placed an order on Thursday. According to Michael Fremer, it was cut ‘hot’, whatever that means, but it’s certainly lively. Superb pressing though, pan flat and no clicks and pops. It is heavy!

6 Likes

I agree with you on the Albert Hall BluRay - sounds stunning with or without the video. Another excellent sounding BluRay is the Live at Cadogan Hall set.

It’s just a shame that the vinyl versions of their albums seem to be rather hit and miss, swinging from excellent, to ok to dreadful with no apparent pattern (label, engineer etc.). Even Brave, which Steven Wilson remixed, is less than stellar and not one of his finest moments; all in my room, on my system of course.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

I agree Ian, as caring vinyl lovers you may be interested to search the article Challenging Amazon Report for more information. I’m not inviting a discussion in this place just pointing out some information.

:heart:

1 Like

Believe it or not I have the original release of that album and I’ve never got round to playing it.
Must put it at the front of the “To Play” queue …

I’ve mentioned this here before, my understanding is basically it means cut without any limiting resulting in a more dynamic cut.

I previously mentioned here that (I cant remember the source of information possibly analogue planet or hoffman) it has been suggested that Kevin Gray cuts “hot” for the Tone Poets and previous Music Matters series (KG’s cut of Moanin for MM was initially so startling I Jumped out my seat!) but maybe cuts a little more reigned in for the Classic series.
A couple of members scoffed at me for the suggestion but its based on sound reasoning. The TP’s tend to be aimed more at the “audiophile” with playback equipment able to benefit/handle this type of cut whilst the Classics tend to be aimed at a more mainstream market.

It was of course normal practice in days gone by to apply limiting to vinyl cuts to prevent mis tracking and distortion on the playback equipment of the time.

Seasoned “audiophiles” (I do hate that description) may recall the infamous RL cut of Led Zep II which cut so hot was almost unplayable at the time and withdrawn iirc but now fetches eye watering prices! :grin:

Although direct comparisons arent possible as titles arent duplicated I do find most TP’s to sound a bit more dynamic and fuller than the Classic series

1 Like

Although I’ve only played it once so far, I must say it wasn’t easy; I found myself continually adjusting the volume downwards.

1 Like

When you also consider that RVG recorded hot, EQ’d and mixed on the fly. Combine that with a carefully done hot cut to vinyl…something else! :joy:

I tried WT, but didnt work for me… :thinking:

How does it sound @Isca_Dumnoniorum ?

Jackie McLean - A Fickle Sonance, BN80 (2020)

5 Likes

I listened again earlier fantastic sounding record a great cut by Chris Bellman.

1 Like

Thank you, found it - just confirmed what I had thought

1 Like

Btw have a look at the drama Life And Death In The Warehouse on BBC.
Forum rules prevent further discussion but glad you took the trouble.

Thats all, back to the records

Respect
:heart:

1 Like

I think it sounds fabulous Bob - been playing this a lot since yesterday. Not one I was aware of to be honest, so this is a revelation to me.

Cleo Laine and John Williams: ‘Best Friends’ (1976). Charity shop this afternoon.

4 Likes

Cesar Franck: ‘Symphony in D Minor, Symphonic Variations’ (1977).
Scottish National Orchestra cond. Alexander Gibson: ‘Music of the Four Countries’ (1968).
Charity shop this afternoon.

1 Like

That’s good news mine should be here Monday it’s been a favourite of mine for a couple of years and I do have another copy that I want to compare it to so I’m really looking forward to it arriving.

1 Like

Not sure about Back in Black but I’ve Albert pressing of Dirty Deeds, Let the be Rock and T.N.T that sound very good.

Thx,

Ian

1 Like

Still not played the latest Marillion on vinyl.

I nearly got the Albert Hall concert on vinyl the other day but decided against as there are I think 4 LPs. One of the best features of the concert on video is how the tracks have been edited to follow on from one another.

WIth mostly 1 or 2 tracks per side I think a lot of the dynamism of the live concert might be lost as certain tracks rolled into each other very well, and I suspect with lots of gaps as you change sides it may not work as well. Will probably buy it eventually though.

There are several albums, especially ones at 45rpm, where I really wish they’d gone for fewer LPs in the set with conventinal play times per side.

1 Like