What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Have just started playing the new album this morning. Just realised it’s a bit odd - the album is over 3 sides with a 12" of Murder Mchiones on the 4th.

Will need to listen and A/B vs Qobuz but my initial reaction is that is sounds much better than the hi-res Qobuz stream, piano/keyboards and percussion in particular seem to have better timbre and definition.

Unfortunately side B I’m currently playing has a visible full side scratch which is audible every rotation on the 1st track and maybe later. This really frustrated me spending £30 for an album - another benefit of Amazon is that I could report online and return via a nearby supermarket. This was purchased from HMV which while supporting the high street means I’d have to drive to town, pay for parking and walk to the store in a pedestrianised area - not sure I can be bothered, which is why they get away with it.

Sierra Leone is now playing as I type and is sounds lovely on the LP12. Vocals are incredibly clear, I’m not struggling to understand them in places despite feeling a bit bunged up due to hayfever.

So initial reaction is a thumbs up over streaming the album from Qobuz in Roon.

2 Likes

Yet more Pure Pleasure - the boy Tolliver’s 1968 debut with a stellar band on Strata East. Driving hard bop with glimpses of the Avant Garde to come. Spiffing!

4 Likes

Makiko Takada - Makiko First

1 Like

On CD:

2 Likes

Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue. Another superb Tone Poet release. Only two minor gripes; first is down to one or two “fffsst” patches on the left channel during the middle of side 1. Nothing serious but could be signs of non-fill which is a concern. The second issue is the Stoughton tip on gatefold sleeve which isn’t even. The front section is wider than the rear and so there’s an overlap of about 3mm. Not a big deal under the circumstances but not quite the perfection I’ve come to expect…

5 Likes

Agreed on point 2 - the front cover on my cover has a slight overlap - was only pondering that this afternoon. Haven’t heard the “ffsst” - but will take another listen and report back.

Yes, I think along the same lines as you; I generally find live albums less engaging on vinyl. I feel pretty sure I won’t buy it eventually though!

Thanks Alley Cat,

Once I’ve got over the shock of the increase in utility bills this month, I might see if I have enough left in the coffers to buy it!

Cheers,

Ian

Rachel Gould Chet Baker - “al blues”, Bingow Records France (1979)

I have the other Chet record on Bingow Rondez-vous also featuring Jean -Paul & Henry Florens and that is excellent sounding. I’ve heard this record many times on line and for £15 it’s a welcome addition.

2 Likes

Hi, how is this TP? I usually buy the Classics and only the Tone Poets which are really worth it and which are let’s say famous in the world of HP Jazz. Do you consider it a must to have?

Yes, this is definitely one of the “must haves” in the series, I reckon.

I’ll check my ClassicRecords copy Richard because I’m almost sure there is a similar fsst sound perhaps it’s on the original tapes.

Ah - great! That would certainly be something of a relief.

1 Like

@Bobthebuilder I took another listen this morning and quite possibly it’s on the original tape - e.g. the sax on ‘Stay As Sweet As You Are’ in the quieter moments has the occasional fffsst, but the accompanying instruments sound clear.

Thats sounds a bit disappointing. How is your copy @Isca_Dumnoniorum ?
Cheers

I havent got the TP so just thought. Wondering if you might be mistaking the sound you describe for air and spit being blown in the sax.
I’ve known people to mistake the sound for distortion or mistracking

No, it’s during a fairly quiet moment and doesn’t sound like that at all, which I know well. It could be tape damage of course.

It was the description “fffsst made me think of it.
Of course the original tapes wil be at least 60 year vintage mastered AAA warts n all

All in, no complaints Dread. It’s a really cool album.

1 Like

Thats good to hear! Maybe Richard got unlucky, not good to hear!