What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

John Lee Hooker - The Folk Blues Of…. Riverside/Craft (2019)

Another very good Craft Recordings reissue beautiful tip on sleeve vinyl is dead flat, quiet and sounds excellent.

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Indestructible, BN80 (2019)

After a long wait and one return I’ve finally got my hands on this exceptional record probably my favorite Art Blakey so far.

The band are in stunning form Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, Curtis Fuller and Reginald Workman.

Very nice KG cut again and a nice Optimal pressing.

3 Likes

Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse, BN Tone Poet (2019)

Another stunner from Joe Harley and the boys & girls at Tone Poet nothing at all wrong and everything right.

Featuring Freddie Hubbard, Barry Harris, Bobby Cranshaw and Billy Higgins.

I’ve had a really nice listening session this evening home alone and enjoying some exceptional music.

I just love Dexter Gordon’s Tone more laid back than other Blue Note artists of the period and all the better for it.

I’m not sure if this was another one that sold out because prices of it climbed to figures I couldn’t really justify but found it on several sites recently for a more affordable £29 so perhaps a repress.

4 Likes

A mix of Elastica and Saint Etienne for the 00’s generation springs to mind.

It is excellent. I’ve not played it recently - will dig out and give it a spin this week.

1 Like

I found a nice original copy of Led Zep IV & a second press of Can - Monster Movie on the weekend.

2 Likes

I’m a fair bit older than the 00’s generation but I like it anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

91LEPt+MXeL.AC_SX466

1 Like

Well this makes a pleasant change for a download card included with a LP

3 Likes

John Lee Hooker - Sings the Blues, King/Sundazed (2015)

Mono cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant and pressed at RTI. Until last week I’d not heard this collection of very early John Lee tracks recording as Texas Slim during the late 40’s and early 50’s.

2 Likes

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - Duke Ellington & John Coltrane, Impulse/Acoustic Sounds (2022)

Another A Grade Acoustic Sounds reissue beautiful cover, beautiful pressing. It’s hard to pick a winner between this Acoustic Sounds Series and the Tone Poets as they both excel.

The Acoustic Sounds John Coltrane, Impulse reissues have so far been impeccably well done the remastering by Ryan Smith at Stirling Sound is a revelation again the percussion on this record is ridiculously good. I have a middle of the road set up but this set of Impulse reissues makes it sound a million dollars I know it gets said a lot but close your eyes and it does really feel like the musicians are in the room with you.

I can’t wait for the John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman and the Duke Ellington & Coleman Hawkins to arrive.

7 Likes

Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks, The Vinyl Factory/Island Records (2012)

Lightnin’ Hopkins & Sonny Terry - Last Night Blues, Prestige Bluesville/4 Men With Beards RE (2016)

Decent copies of this are hard to come by these days I’d really love an Analogue Productions Fantasy 45 but they’re too rich for my blood so I’m taking a bit of a chance with this 4 Men With Beards reissue it is produced and mastered at Fantasy who along with Prestige are owned by Concord so you would hope it will be a quality pressing.

s-l400

Received the UHQR Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced from AP today and after giving it a clean gave it a listen.
They really do an amazing job. Everything from the packaging to the vinyl is really top notch…and the sound is just sublime. Its a premium product in my view with a price to match and some might take objection to the box (you could probably knock at least $30 off the price were it just the album) and I have some sympathy with that but I can’t argue with the quality especially the sound. Just great stuff and please keep these kind of releases coming - its great that not only jazz titles (as much as I love them) are given the audiophile treatment.
Sorry no picture…

3 Likes

Four large boxes of classical records from an auction for £40, about 300 albums and 50 box sets.
60 of the albums/boxes are of interest, one box contained two old £20 notes and an old £10 note.:grin:

13 Likes

This record went straight back sounded horrible, recessed, echoey and lacking any dynamics. It had all the usual excellent ingredients cut by KG at Cohearant and pressed at RTI but wether it was the source material, the mastering or the pressing I’m not sure but the end result was horrible.

Wow, looks like a bargain. Is the quality reasonable on those you like?

1 Like

So you could say that you bought the boxes with a money-back guarantee?

2 Likes

I once bought a tub full of records, I was a regular at the shop and trusted me to pay by cheque.
I left the guy sleeving up the records and went back later to pick them up. Some time later working my way through them my cheque fell out of one of the sleeves! :grin:

3 Likes

Came in the mail yesterday. First time I played it from the beginning to the end. Love it.

2 Likes