What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Elton John - Madman across the Water 4LP 50th anniversary boxset. Sounds wonderful and all lps are pressed perfectly. I have the DCC pressing, which apparently is regarded as the holy grail of all, and a quick comparison is difficult, as they’re both very good. The mastering is clearly different and they both have their merits. If I had to choose on initial listening, I would go for the DCC, but that’s irrelevant as the BBC and demo tracks aren’t there.

6 Likes

Should be a fun Friday night….

5 Likes

That looks a good un!

1 Like

Original 1965 Herman’s Hermits EP in a laminated picture sleeve I don’t know if the photo will do it justice.

I bought this in a Sue Ryder shop, so in a good cause. This is 57 years old, and the laminated sleeve is in extraordinarily good condition, with no delamination, and no signs of anything coming unstuck. Unplayed as yet, the vinyl looks to be in equivalent condition.

7 Likes

Mrs B had an appointment in Settle yesterday and I had a spare few minutes after buying plumbing bits.

Came home with this lot in very good condition.

13 Likes

That looks in mint condition - enjoy!

1 Like

How are these going to help with the plumbing!! :joy: :rofl:

Puts me in a good mood whilst wrestling with the kitchen waste pipe :grinning:.

Already fairly chuffed because my ancient septic tank passed inspection for the new UK regs saving me £15,000. Just a simple alteration needed to the kitchen waste.

2 Likes

Both records are 33 rpms. Here in Germany they are extremely expensive, e.g. the 33 Brubeck starts with 130 Euros. I had the chance to buy both in the US for 90 Dollars together. The 45 rpms are too expensive in deed and hard to get. I am enjoying both, they are spectacular. :+1:

3 Likes

Freddie Hubbard ‘Breaking Point’ Tone Poet - better than the real thing.

9 Likes

Number 75 for me, nr 2321/5000 of this limited edition. Very glad to have this. Expensive, although I managed to buy it at presale for a good discount.

I was not too familiar with Timmons, but like his style. The vocalizing not so much, but not too distracting. His St Thomas in Melanie makes me smile and boy…this version of Melanie is hypnotizing. Prelude I like a lot as well.

Sleeve: something else and very nice. Pressing: flat, silent, heavy.

Great!

Rex’ vinyl #75

Kenny Dorham - Matador

Pressing 2022 / Impex 6042 Limited Edition / Capitol Records

4 Likes

Winnie the cat bought me these five albums as an early Father’s Day present, to get my vinyl collection re-started after 30 something years. I do have a sneaking suspicion that Winnie had some help from MrsT as the new Rod Stewart album got snuck in!

7 Likes

Peter Tosh - Complete Captured Live ( Parlophone 2LP)

Fantastic 1983 concert in Los Angeles, the video of this holds a very special place for Mrs Dread and I since first seeing it broadcast way back on the fledgling CH4, I still have my home recorded VHS copy of it. It was originally available as a truncated single LP and since re issued on all formats but this is the first time as far as I’m aware that the complete concert has made it to vinyl ( it has previously been issued as a complete 2CD).

Really looking forward to playing this, only concern is its on coloured vinyl so fingers crossed for the pressing.

:heart:

John Coltrane - My Favourite Things 60th Anniversary (Rhino/Atlantic 2LP)

Bought this mainly just to have the Mono mix but still be interesting to hear Kevin Grays cut of the familiar Stereo version.

Package is a bit amusing, why reproduce the front cover artwork 4 times, as an insert, on the inner sleeves (careful extraction of the vinyl and poly inners needed) and on the booklet and a gatefold would have been nice.

Great music though and imo pretty essential as are all his Atlantic period albums including Giant Steps.

6 Likes

Not bought it yet, but following the Trane posted above I found that Rhino have done a similar 60th Anniversary job of Art Blakey & Thelonious Monk. An album that I really enjoy but to date not owned on vinyl.
Whereas the Trane is cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at Optimal this one is mastered at Air Studios (usually good!) and pressed at GZ.

If anyone got this one and could kindly comment on the pressing?

3 Likes

Johnny Cash - Live At Folsom Prison (Sony Music/Columbia Legacy 2015 2LP)

The famous Folsom Prison concert, a superb old chestnut that I’ve only ever owned and enjoyed in its original single LP form.
Stumbled on this 2LP version on Juno, I’m assuming its the complete, or a bit more complete, recording of the concert.
Lovely gatefold presentation, book and a very reasonable £25 compared to what some labels are asking for similarly presented packages.

Can I get a drink of water!

3 Likes

7 Likes

This just arrived from the States. I cancelled my order from the U.K. as I really wanted the Kevin Gray cut of the album. Playing it now and delighted to find a quiet, perfectly centered and great sounding pressing.

17 Likes

Glad it worked out well for you Richard, particularly with the number of stories about bad pressings.
I am sure there will be a few interested readers keen to hear your thoughts on this one.

It’s very, very good. Much the best I’ve heard, although I don’t have a US original nor the Mobile Fidelity One Step (was tempted but splitting across 4 sides would rather ruin it for me). The Abbey Road Deluxe half-speed sounds flat in comparison. I do wonder what tapes are being used though for both these. The AR sounded to me like the tape was perhaps a copy, and not a great one at that. However, the Detroit Mix in the AR deluxe set was really good, and sounded excellent - worth it just for that.

p.s. The heavy tip-on gatefold of this one is a nice touch, although surely they could have put the LPs in anti-static inners?

1 Like