What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

@Zoomcap Highway 61 Revisited sadly is also one of the many Mobile Fidelity releases who has a digital step in the cutting process: " 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe"…

Yes indeed. I do also have a Near Mint Mono original, so I will get around to doing a comparison, however the MoFi copy sounds great to me

Just out of curiosity, what is the ‘plug’ half way down your armboard?

Obviously not for an armrest, as that is incorporated in the arm mechanism.

von Karajan made four (!) complete sets of the Beethoven Symphonies.

The first was in London in the 1950s for EMI with the then newly-founded Philharmonia (with Dennis Brain and others).

After he took over the Berlin Philharmonic following Furtwaengler’s death, he made his first set with that orchestra, released by Deutsche Grammophon in 1963.

His next remake was also for DGG, from the mid-1970s, also with the Berliners.

Finally, he remade the set in the mid-1980s for DGG in digital recordings following the introduction of the Compact Disc.

There were, in addition, occasional recordings of individual symphonies, for example, a superbly recorded, well-liked Seventh for Decca with the Wiener Philharmoniker (I’m not sure if that was late 1950s or early 1960s).

Some listeners think that, overall, the early Philharmonia set was Karajan’s best, and that each subsequent release was worse than its predecessor, and I largely agree with that.

4 Likes

It’s the armrest hole for my Ittok, Graham: I still had it when I changed to Keel…Ekos came later.
Kinda wished I’d done it the other way round at first, but it doesn’t bother me now.

Edit - I’m pleased to say I’ve dusted since that pic.
The shame of it :scream:

2 Likes

£1 from an antique centre.

1 Like

Picked up a couple of LPs from Drift Records in Totnes earlier today:

‘The Complete Thom Bell Sessions’ - Elton John
‘Extension’ - George Braith

2 Likes

Good move on that George Braith. I had my hands on a copy yesterday but ended up getting another Blue Note.

1 Like

What a lovely looking old LP. I’ve never seen nor heard of it before.

Another RSD 2022 Drop. Karen Dalton 1963 DE031.

Kenny Wheeler - Windmill Tilter, Decca (2021)

Beautiful remastered and cut at Gearbox this British Jazz classic sounds amazing.

3 Likes

Ouch!

Marvin Gaye, What’s Going On. Kevin Gray remaster.

I thought I’d find out what all the fuss was about.

It’s the US version, via Discogs. Left out in the rain by the delivery service.

A CZ pressing, shipped to the US, and back again. Leaving me with mixed feelings about buying new vinyl and the sustainability of it.

I was also ready to be underwhelmed, I’m not sure why, maybe a combination of the recent MoFi shenanigans, and some of my own insecurity at “being able to tell the difference”

So, how does it sound?

Oh my. 3 seconds in and I was in no doubt, it’s amazing. Immaculate. Airy. Clear. Bright. Oh, and the performances, musicianship, singing, lyrics, all perfect. And I used to think if it wasn’t house music it wasn’t worth ****.

Not quite sure where that leaves me with respect to buying decisions, not sure it matters just now, I’m going to listen to it again.

Night 8)

10 Likes

This marvellous hoard arrived yesterday.

12 Likes

May I ask from where please?

Hi Neil, it was a private sale.

1 Like

Ok… from a fellow forum member maybe?
Lovely collection, enjoy.

1 Like

yes, how did you guess. :wink:

1 Like

Spontaneous visit to the record store today

4 Likes

Just got the delivery - Inger Marie - Feels Like Home. Some evening easy-listening. Pure analog, great pressing and fantastic voice by Inger Marie.