What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

It was called the “Masterbag” system. IIRC, the first record shop to put “live” records out on the floor was the Virgin Megastore at the TCR end of Oxford Street back in the summer of 1979.

For the first year or so the store was open, the concept of having shrinkwrapped records out on the floor was so new, and they were so worried about shoplifting, that you had to leave any bags at the front desk before you were allowed in.

3 Likes

Sorry, slight swerve in topic, but…

That reminds me of going into a bar somewhere in London, which served strong (and expensive) Belgian beers, each of which had its own brewery glass. They were worried about the glasses being nicked, so punters had to put a shoe behind the bar to be able to get the glass. Simple, but pretty effective, I’d have thought.

2 Likes

Bet it smelt nice in there!

I would would wear a pair of manky old shoes and carry a nice pair to change into. The bar gets the manky ones and I keep the glass! :grin:

And all the worse for it in my opinion. Tightly shrinkwrapped records, crammed tightly into racks so browsers have to pull and bend the records whilst leaning on top of the records on front…
Unlike proper shops that would store the vinyl on shelves behind the counter in stiff card library sleeves, retrieve the vinyl for you, carefully handle it and put in the sleeve. With the added bonus that a very attractive lady behind the counter would sometimes have to lift herself up on steps to reach the higher shelves :eyes:

1 Like

Never heard of any antipathy between Brighton & Lewes, but of course it has a rich history.
Try searching Lewes Protestant Martyrs.
Did you know Lewes has its own currency?

Just stumbled on this…

Ikea turntable anyone?

Ah, local history is fascinating!

My local pub in Brighton has the punters playing a Lewes pub game, called Toad In The Hole. It involves players throwing brass discs towards a thick square piece of lead with a hole in the middle. Simple, childish fun, although some onanists take it very seriously.

1 Like

Toads, yes I’m aware of it :+1:

Any suggestions on upgrade paths😁

1 Like

And right now: the second!
I still have to open the plastic bag…

8 Likes

Chip Wickenham - Cloud 10, Gondwana Records ( 2022).

The latest long player from the exceptional Chip Wickenham back on Mathew Halsall’s Gondwana as always beautifully pressed and presented.

2 Likes

Jamie Leeming - Resynthesis, Sekito (2022)

Under the Creative direction of Alfa Mist comes this young and incredibly talented guitar player and song writer.

Amongst the many young and very talented musicians on this record is drummer Jas Kaser who like Jamie is on the verge of achieving big things in the Jazz world.

Chicago / The Blues / Today! - Various, Vanguard/Craft (2022)

Part 1 of the Kevin Gray remastered trilogy I believe there is or will also be a box set with all three records.

Flat, silent and sounding great early electric Blues at its very best.

3 Likes

The box set was released for RSD last year. Just ordered the box from Discogs £80 posted.

2 Likes

Speechless… no photo needed, this one has been hyped plenty, for good reason, wow, I am just stunned.

Rex’ vinyl #85

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Pressing 2022 / Blue Note 1577 / Tone Poet Stereo RTI / USA

2 Likes

Mine also arrived yesterday…finally, I am totally happy with it :+1:

1 Like

You mean Chip Wickham?

Be interested to hear how you find the pressings when you’ve had chance👍

1 Like

Why have you popped your annoying little head up all of a sudden I thought we had an agreement arranged with the moderators where we didn’t comment on each other’s posts.

Soul Revivers - On The Grove (Acid Jazz 2LP)

Been enjoying this a lot on stream, the vinyl has been selling out fast but managed to get a copy today.

Dub version of the album to follow

Acid Jazz Records presents Nick Manasseh & David Hill’s Soul Revivers: ‘On the Grove’.

An ambitious and passionate collaboration project, it features musicians spanning seven decades, including Jamaican legends: Ernest Ranglin, Ken Boothe, Earl 16 and Devon Russell; alongside contemporary artists, including jazz trumpeter Ms. Maurice (known for her work with Afro—Jazz Ensemble Kokoroko and Nubya Garcia), and vocalist Alexia Coley.

Edit: maybe due to demand but many outlets seem to be asking high prices for this. I got mine for a more reasonable £21.99 from Brightons Mr Mr Bongo records
:heart:

5 Likes