What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

My cd rip of years ago sounds better imo to a Qobuz spin of the latest….very sad.

1 Like

Pink floyd Animals deluxe box set, guess what? 2 sets later and both had to go back for jumps, pops and crackles! How can vinyl record manufacture be so bad?

1 Like

Can’t say I feel the same way. Sounds great to me, no lack of dynamics at all

2 Likes

Which it does and though I’ve not heard an early LP I’ve heard several CD’s and also some digital files and streams and tbh they all sounded ever so slightly veiled with some of the percussion sounding a bit distant.

Having said that whatever Ryan Smith used as a source he has done a pretty decent job. I actually thought sod it I’ll bite the bullet and source a first, 2nd or even 3rd press but prices are far too rich for my blood.

1 Like

I think you’ve just saved yourself some money!

1 Like

Monks Road Social ft Paul Weller - Rise Up Singing, Wonderful Sound Records. (2022)

Excellent 7” single from MRS featuring another formidable vocal from PW.

1 Like

Not even unwrapped yet! DIY ongoing means the stereo is wrapped up for a few weeks. Looking forward to getting the on the TT though.

Cleo Sol (Of Sault) - Mother
Asian Dub Foundation - R.A.F.I.

I’m also trying very hard to resist buying all 5 (!!) of the latest Sault releases. Been streaming them for a week or so and they’re all really different, and really strong. I don’t know how Cleo and the rest of the collective manage to release 5 albums in one go.

3 Likes

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Gatefold Vinyl Lovers Reissue.

9 Likes

Svaneborg Kardyb - Over Tage, Gondwana Records (2022)

Beautiful record by the Danish Duo recorded and mastered in Denmark :denmark:

4 Likes

Saturday Night in San Francisco as in latest HFN issue.

1 Like

The Sorcerers - The Sorcerers, ATA Records (2019)

White vinyl reissue of the 2015 self titled debut on the excellent All Things Analogue label the pressing is flat quiet and sounds exceptional. The music is described as Ethio-Jazz, Horror soundtracks my other half said it sounds like a haunted house scene from Scooby Doo but I loved it, top draw.

2 Likes

That’s very disappointing, and I think Fremer was critical of the mastering/pressing too. I no longer have my set of original UK pressings and now have a hodgepodge of vinyl releases - including a South African copy of Pretzel Logic - and was hoping this set of issues would offer a chance to upgrade. What I didn’t realise until I bought a later pressing of Can’t Buy a Thrill (maybe German) was that the first UK release was lacking the gatefold sleeve.

Yes, you don’t get the gatefold sleeve with the UK pressings or on many of he later US ones either.

It’s a weird one this recent UMe reissue - on the face of it, it could appear to sound pretty good with its wide soundstage and boosted top and bottom but the tension, drive and sense of propulsion is totally AWOL. Compared to the Probe or even the later ABC black label UK, it just completely lacks the ability to engage. Nice gatefold sleeve though…

2 Likes

I bought the Speakers Corner about 12/15 years ago on the recommendation of a friend who owns a record shop in Sunderland. He’s a big fan of SD and reckoned it was the best copy. It does sound good to me.

1 Like

I’ve never heard the Speakers Corner reissue. Early reports of a boosted bass and tape glitches, particularly on my favourite track, Fire in The Hole, rather put me off at the time. Perhaps I should try a copy, however I note that it sells for a high price these days.

1 Like

This landed yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

I played the only other Fink LP I own, “Sort Of Revolution”, during the week and was baffled as to why it’s not a regular spinner. Both will be played at least weekly for a while I think.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, a few people on the Hoffman forum have been listening to the Pure Pleasure again in the light of the new releases and it seems to be generally regarded as unusually duff release by PP.

There are a number of tape glitches reported but I do recall a significant one on Fire In The Hole. It exists on all copies although SP fail to mention it on their site. I sent my copy back many many years ago.

I suspect you are putting off the inevitable UHQR :grinning:

1 Like

Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet on vinyl is superb, as are most of his releases.