What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Hi Christoph,

I remember Kevelaer; a lovely town. I was based at Laarbruch from Jul 1987 until July 1990, so perhaps we were neighbours!

Cheers,

Ian

I have the same one. I’ve also got Mr. Lucky (ORE LP 519) and the Buddy Guy I thought I had, as well as Feels Like Rain.

I feel sure I have others on Silvertone, but don’t have the time to scroll through the collection looking for them!

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

Yeah I have Mr Lucky too, the two Buddy Guys I mention earlier but not Feels Like Rain, must have missed that one at the time, is it good?

Absolutely, Chill Out too

1 Like

The second of two Verve By Request titles that arrived yesterday. Again, not audiophile sound, but good all the same, and great music. Best of all, another excellent pressing from Third Man Pressing. Really enjoying this…

6 Likes

I’m interested in that one, James Brown in a Jazz setting?

Well, I like it! Plenty of guests (John Mayall and Bonnie Rait for example) and very nicely recorded (1993). The title track is a favourite of mine and Buddy’s voice has some real feeling, ably supported by Bonnie Rait - dare I say, it might be on a par with John Hiatt’s original.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

Yes, jazz meets soul.

It’s brilliant - where has this album been all my life, I’m loving it!

1 Like

Dave Gold Big Band - Heaven on Their Minds, My Only Desire Records (2017)

One of MOD’s early releases from 2017 a 4 track ep originally recorded in 1974 for the BBC Radio 2 Jazz Club.

Beautifully recorded and nicely pressed and available for just a fiver on Bandcamp. It’s a little light for some especially you Free Jazz heads but there is some excellent musicianship on show. Mid 70’s Big Band Jazz with a dash of Funk.

2 Likes

45rpm issue… :sunglasses: :grinning:

13 Likes

Which album are you referring to Ian. Maybe got crossed wires, looks like you mean The Healer but that title track features Santana not Bonnie Rait, I dont recall Bonnie Rait on the Buddy Guy albums, then John Hiatt…:thinking:

I believe he is referring to Buddy Guy’s Feels Like Rain.

1 Like

Ah! Now that makes sense, Feels Like Rain I dont have. Doh! Sorry @IanF my very old phone and similarly ageing peepers at fault!
Thanks Clive.
Will check out Feels Like Rain
:heart:

1 Like

No worries Dread and Clive is spot on - I was replying to your query about Feels Like Rain.

Just grabbed this image of the Silvertone issue off t’Interweb.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, had a bit of a bonkers moment and got my self at it, pulling JLH and Buddy Guy albums puzzling and scratching my head :joy:

Feels Like Rain is the only one I dont have, will see if I can stream it
Cheers
:heart:

1 Like

You can pick up the CD on eB for a couple of pounds!

1 Like

This, £124 slightly warped only a lyric sheet inside, sound? not very impressed
Seriously are these Mobile Fidelity discs worth it?
OK Jacko isnt every ones favourite but along with Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton produced some of the finest music the 80s.
Will be more cautious in future though may well invest in the up coming Steely Dan stuff

4 Likes

Imo, no. Ultradisc, UHQR etc tend to promise a great deal but deliver little, diminishing returns aimed at “audiophiles” with money to burn.
Sorry, just my view of course

4 Likes

Is that a dig at me @Dreadatthecontrols ?