What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Absolutely not, no!

Thanks for clarifying that :+1: :grinning:

1 Like

Why would you think that?
A downside to UHQR is it can lead to paranoia :wink::+1:

1 Like

Fair comment i have other high quality vinyl and the Thriller album is the first ive found sub standard

1 Like

just giving this a listen on Qobuz, superb!

Oh, I left Kevelaer in 1986 :smiling_face: my parents had a neighbour and friend who worked for the Royal Air Force as a photographer. Great calenders for me as Christmas presents :slightly_smiling_face: back to topic: I have the silvertone because I never stopped buying records. It is really good and not expensive on discogs.

I like it very much, totally different from first press and I think that make it worth the money. It’s a new idea of this record for me.

How weird to see that after so many years! The NAAFI at RAF Laarbruch was where we used to do our shopping (1963 to 1966, before I went to school in Edinburgh, starting 1966). The NAAFI was where I bought my very first records with my own money (The Beatles’ ‘Hard Days Night’ and ‘HELP’).

2 Likes

Weird indeed! Even more weird, I wasn’t born until 1966 :joy:

Somewhat unbelievably, I too, worked in Photography with the Royal Air Force. I probably know your parents photographer friend - it was a relatively small trade!

@Richard.Dane Excellent, thanks for posting this - just ordered.

I stumbled upon this at my local vinyl shop and took a chance.
The album is called Wildflower. Great instrumentals from both artists. A great addition to your jazz collection. Mark

6 Likes

Jack White - Fear of The Dawn / Entering Heaven Alive / Live from Marshall St (Rough Trade exclusive). Arrived today, and look forward to giving them a spin after a clean. Overall, nicely packaged and presented, although strange to have only one poly lined paper inner sleeve (others are card & paper)

3 Likes

Yeti, when you say a 'Quick Clean", what does that actually entail?
I know many have said you should clean new records before playing, but;
a) Why? and b) How deeply? :thinking:

Funny! I asked my father and his name was Jerry Ch. Must have been end of seventies. My English was much better than now…

Pressing plants are actually quite dirty places akin to engineering machine shops. Residues from the pressing process, swarf material from vinyl or stampers, paper dust etc can all contaminate the new record.
For new records, looking after your existing ones and used records that arent badly contaminated a relatively inexpensive wet/dry vaccuum machine like the Project VCS II ALU (I use one others brands are available but the Project is great vfm) is very effective and surprising how much better and quiet a new record sounds after a clean.
Helps to extend the life of your stylus/cart too.
I used to be very sceptical, but now wouldnt be without it.
If you buy a lot of very dirty used records that require restoration then the skys the limit on what you can spend on fancy cleaners that also incorporate Ultrasonic technology, Kirmuss, Audiodesk are two brands that spring to mind.

2 Likes

I have the very same Project VCS that you do, just never cleaned new Vinyl as a routine. Always clean “Pre-loved” and new that has an immediately noticeable problem (Animals 2018 Remix). Perhaps I shall follow your lead in this.
Just out of interest, how long do you leave yours to stand and dry after cleaning?

For the reasons Dread explained, I always clean new LPs, just to counter any debris that may have gotten into the grooves after pressing at the factory. Also, to compound the issue, with records supplied in an unlined card or paper sleeve there’s often paper dust evident on the record surface.

A quick clean includes two wet vacuum passes per side on my record cleaning machine, an Okki Nokki in my case, then resleeve in a new ply lined inner sleeve.

4 Likes

The record shouldnt need to stand, a couple of rotations clock and anti clock with the vaccuum should leave the record dry.
After spreading the fluid you can leave that to stand and soak a minute or two but dont let it completely evaporate it will turn any dirt to sludge which will gum up your stylus.
For new records gently use a carbon fibre brush to remove anything from the surface with the record rotating, you dont want any grit or swarf getting trapped between the vac arm and record that could scratch.
If your using Projects own fluid (I would as its alcohol free, avoid alcohol based fluids) I use 1:20 for new records and maintaining my collection.
For more dirty records, fingermarks etc I use the stronger 1:10 mix and a second cycle with 1:20.
Work the fluid into the grooves with the application brush in both rotational directions.
Gives great results for me

Nb and importantly as Yeti points out use poly lined sleeves. I prefer the Nagoka poly sleeves that dont have paper outside and slide into the record inner sleeves, great for card printed inner sleeves but work great in plain paper ones too

1 Like

Just dry vacuuming, or with a cleaning solution cycle as well?
Sorry to be so inquisitive :slightly_smiling_face: