What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

White Ladder here too. And the new Grimes album Miss Anthropocene.

Oh dear - 20 yrs gone - that is truly scary!!

Peter

Picked these up whilst at the Bristol show:

3 Likes

UK first pressing on Probe, in a gatefold.

13 Likes

Kev, does it sound better than your later copy? I recall Richard Dane recommended this to you as he considered the UK Probe pressing to have the best SQ.
Thanks, Neil.

1 Like

Haven’t listened to it yet @Neil-26 but I trust @Richard.Dane’s judgement on these matters so I’m sure it’ll be great.

2 Likes

I have the US Pretzel. Wonder how that sounds in comparison to the UK?

No pressure then…

2 Likes

I have a very nice looking US copy (think it’s a Rainbow ABC) but it sounds dull and flat. I used to have another US copy but it was so noisy and badly pressed I think I gave it away many years ago. Would love to hear a good US press.

@Richard.Dane

I have the rainbow ABC too. Always thought it sounded fine - tbh, having never heard an alternative I just assumed how PL sounded was how it sounded! Listening to it right now, but I’ll have to seek out another copy cos now I’m intrigued…:slight_smile:

Edit/ And…near mint UK first press Probe on the way. This is going to be fun!

1 Like

It is definitely something of a minefield. My US Rainbow ABC is mint but does sound flat. I notice that it doesn’t have the AZ etched in for Allen Zentz, it just has the cat no. etched by hand. I’m sure there are better (much better?) sounding US issues out there but not so easy finding here in the UK. What we do have though are great sounding UK Probe first issues. I have three in my collection and I must say one is definitely a bit better than the others, but that may be down to all the usual factors affecting old secondhand vinyl. Anyway, I hope your Probe issue works out…

1 Like

My US does have the AZ etch. As you say, matrix minefield!
I am looking forward to hearing the Probe tho!

1 Like

Most of my Steely Dan LPs are reissues from the 1980s and don’t have the best SQ. The only exceptions are Aja (recent re-issue) and Gaucho (UK first press) which sound very good. I might have to take the plunge and try one of these S/H UK Probe issues of Pretzel Logic.

2 Likes

@Neil-26
I’ll post a ‘review’ (of sorts, lol, I’m not much cop at that) of my Allen Zentz US copy and first UK probe when it arrives :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look forward to it. :+1:

.download (33)

2 Likes

That’s a great album. I have the wonderful Speakers Corner set from around 15 years or so ago. Do you know how this compares?

1 Like

Bat for Lashes - Lost Girls on clear splatter vinyl

1 Like

1 Like

A gift from HQ.

1 Like