What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Well, I saw your post and thought “mine hasn’t been delivered early…:face_with_diagonal_mouth:”, but just went out and checked the parcel box and there it was!:blush:

4 Likes

John Coltrane With Eric Dolphy – Evenings At The Village Gate
Impulse! - Mono - Gatefold - Made in Germany (2 discs)

6 Likes

Chet Baker Quartet ft Phil Markowitz - Live at Nick’s, Criss Cross Jazz/Elemental (2023)

An Elemental Music reissue of Chet Baker’s 1987 release Live at Nick’s on Criss Cross Jazz the reissue is in an Upgraded gatefold sleeve and includes two tracks previously unreleased on vinyl though they where on the cd from the same concert at Nick Vollebregt’s Jazz Cafe in Laren the Netherlands.

The Quartet features of course the pianist Phil Markowitz who played with Chet a lot during this period, Scott Lee on Bass and Jeff Brillinger on drums.

The original release is sonically excellent but this reissue is no slouch either and although I’d say the original is a little better the added content and upgraded sleeve makes this Elemental reissue worth buying.

2 Likes

very good choice @Dreadatthecontrols :ok_hand:

1 Like

This arrived after a week and a bit away with work and was the first thing I played when back. I was worried that something was wrong with the system as it sounded so dull and muffled.

Then put on something familiar and realised it was the record. Then tracked down the original CD and realised why it’s one of the least played in my complete Tori collection.

As you say the recent reissues have been so good as indeed were originals, real shame.

1 Like

All my choices are good! :wink:

I’m resisting the TP of Schizophrenia for now, I revisited my Connoisseur copy and feel happy with that for now.
Cheers
:+1:

1 Like

Your taste of music is fine :ok_hand:

I ordered Schizophrenia and was disappointed, very warped and the SQ was not as good as on the “All Seeing Eye”. I would only make a second attempt when prises would fall

maybe I will order the new BN Classic from him

1 Like

Same here. About 15 years ago I found a nice mono first press of it for less than £20 ! Have the Conn too. Nevertheless, I’m interested in checking out the Tone Poet.

Updated to say I’m referring to ‘All Seeing Eye’. I will be picking up a Tone Poet of ‘Schizophrenia’ - have it in Liberty mono but again keen on an LP copy in Stereo.

1 Like

Yes I see Night Dreamer is coming from BNC, I tend to avoid the BNC due to the pressing issues unless its something I really like, Night Dreamer being one and I bought the recently re issued on BNC of Dizzy Reece Star Bright, did you hear that one? I recommend it but I am biased when it comes to Jamaican musicians.

1 Like

I will be inteterested in your view of the TP Schizophrenia. @krautnaimie says he was dissapointed. I dont think it was ever a particularly “audiophile” sounding recording anyway.

I don’t recall the original of ‘Schizophrenia’ being a particularly bad recording but I do recall some on-the-fly level adjustments being audible on the first track, ‘Tom Thumb’.

1 Like

No not bad at all, just not up with the best sounding recordings imo

1 Like

More spiritual jazz with a dash of afrobeat. Streamed a fair bit now the vinyl thanks to those nice folk at Resident.

3 Likes

That looks interesting, added to my Qobuz for investigation
:+1:

Definitely not as coherent as 2020s Shaman but the pharaoh/Alice/Orris/pan afrikan/Fela influences are pretty clear

1 Like

My favourite GG record. Nice one.

1 Like

Gifted by the in-laws.

6 Likes

I bought the one from Dizzy recently after the price was falling. I paid under a twennie and I love the record. This was a real good recommendation :+1:

1 Like

Great! Glad you like it.
Also, if you havent already, try Blues In Trinity. I have an original but havent seen any sign of a BNC or TP of this one.

1 Like

Ok, maybe that should be my entree?
I see quite a few albums on Qobuz going back to 2000

1 Like