What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I have the Mofi Bitches Brew too and it does sound brilliant it just hasn’t resonated with me yet I just cannot seem to pull it all together in my head when I’m listening to it if that makes sense.

Yeah, took me a couple of listens when I first heard it on release (on the radio. I didn’t buy a copy until the mid 70’s). Far ahead of it’s time back then. But I’d heard Trout Mask Replica the year before so…

(I love TMR)

Then, shortly after BB, I heard Larry Coryell’s Spaces and everything just clicked.

(Love that, too!)

I don’t have the MFSL LP of ‘In A Silent Way’, but I was playing the CBS (?) LP a few years ago and I thought that there was something wrong with my equipment, as I could hear a persistent hum, which was driving me nuts.

After switching everything off, unplugging and checking the various cables and interconnects, and switching everything back on again, the hum was still there.

Eventually, I realised that what I could hear was the humming of the valve amps that Miles and his fellow musicians were using in the recording studio!

3 Likes

I have just bought a brand new copy of that Andrew Preview* ‘West Side Story’ LP. I haven’t played it yet.

(*courtesy of Eric Morecambe)

Great choice @apye one of the highlights of the newer BN Classics :ok_hand:

3 Likes

10th Anniversary edition of Halestorm- Halestorm
Interestingly, pressed in the Czech Republic, at least according to the label in the bottom right corner of the back of the gatefold sleeve…:thinking:

…also, The Strange Case Of…

2 Likes

Newly released Acoustic Sounds Series… :sunglasses: :grinning:

4 Likes

Bex Burch’s debut, on the ever-reliable IARC label.

2 Likes

John McLaughlin, Shankar Mahadevan,Zakir Hussein - Is That So, Abstract Logix (2020)

I managed to find a half priced copy of this very pricey record in excellent condition. I’ve wanted a copy for the very beautiful vocals by Shankar Madahevan, Zakir’s peerless tabla playing and John McLaughlin’s musical ideas on this which features almost no traditional guitar playing instead his guitar is connected to a computer and plays with a tone he has taken 20 years or so to create.

There is also a track on Side 2 called Tara the name of someone very close to me and I bought it for them to hear. I’m also curious as to why John and the Abstract Logix charge so much for their vinyl records this single album had a rrp of over £50 ditto the new Shakti record perhaps they are beautifully presented and sound fantastic we shall see.

3 Likes

Celebrating 50 years of the original Live Dates album - one of the best live recordings out there. This version recorded over the summer. Purple vinyl matches the sleeve. Sounds good.

5 Likes

During the recent Rush show and tell in the system pics thread I realised that I lacked a vinyl copy of my favourite album by them… now sorted.

10 Likes

Well, having been shocked at the price of vinyl, but really enjoying the sound (RP3 through Stageline and Supernait and PMC Twenty3’s) found my local 2nd hand store selling off its classical records af £1 each, so nabbed a load of Hilliard Ensemble (DMM), Consort of Musicke, Medieval Ensemble of London and the like for the price of one newbie. Spent a happy hour cleaning thrm on 2nd-hand Moth vacuum machine and now enjoying the fruits of my labour!

5 Likes

I finally found a vinyl copy of Low’s “Things We Lost in the Fire” at a decent price. One of my all time favourite albums

3 Likes

The extremely talented Yuja Wang playing Rachmaninov’s Four Piano Concertos with Gustavo (The Dude) Dudamel conducting ‘his’ Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra on a 3LP Deutsche Grammophon set.

I saw Ms Wang a few weeks ago playing a John Adams piece with the London Symphony Orchestra as part of the Brighton Festival, when she managed to fall of her Christian Louboutin platform heels as she was leaving the stage.

Linval Thompson And Friends & The Revolutionaries, Vocals, DJ’s & Dubs Vol1 and Vol 2 (Thompson Sound)

The great voice of singer, songwriter and producer Linval Thompson. Brilliantly presented here in a showcase style (vocal followed by its respective DJ/Toasting and Dub mixes).
Backed by Sly, Robbie and The Revolutionaries at Channel One where they developed the Rockers style in the late seventies. Mixed at King Tubby’s by Scientist, some fantastic thumping Rockers riddims, sweet vocals, great examples of DJ/Toasting from Trinity, Big Joe, Ranking Dread and trouser flapping dubs keep the vibe flowing.

This material was compiled donkeys years back on a Trojan CD titled Rockers From Channel One but these two seperate LP’s Vol 1 & Vol 2 sound to me like they have been well mastered and cut to vinyl on Linvals own label Thompson Sound. The sound is superb, albeit raw and rough round the edges as this music often is and meant to be.

Audiophiles might look away, otherwise I’m really chuffed with it, nicely pressed, flat, quiet vinyl with poly lined inner, inexpensivd and I highly recommend seeking out both volumes.

I got mine from Juno, I think Sounds Of The Universe have it, or on Bandcamp from A Lone Reggae in Spain

:heart:

1 Like

Roger Waters - The Dark Side Of The Moon Redux
(Got the CD as well for the sake of completion in my collection).

3 Likes

Another good 'un from Craft, Bernie and the Contemporary label:

7 Likes

John McLaughlin, Shankar Mahadevan, Zaklir Hussien, Abstract Logix (2023)

What a beautiful record the music and lyrics are exactly what you would want from an East/West fusion recording it has the words and feeling from the East but with a Western feel to the music.

Slightly disappointed that at that price point it didn’t even have poly lined inners but as I only paid half price I can’t really complain.

4 Likes

The Banger Factory - Warriors, Banger Factory Records (2023)

Excellent line up of contemporary British Jazz musicians.

Theo Erskine: tenor saxophone
Mark Kavuma: trumpet
Ruben Fox: bass clarinet
Deschanel Gordon: piano
Conor Chaplin: double bass
Luca Caruso: drums

1 Like