What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Jesus and Mary Chain
Barrowlands Live
JAMCLIVEBOOK1

The rather nice book edition with 12" & 10" +CD…and a nice ‘book’. £24 …bargain!

5 Likes

Just won a couple of eBay auctions and paid £18 inc postage for three excellent Dexter Gordon Steeplechase recordings. Swiss Nights 1&2 complete the trio of recordings from the 1975 Zurich Jazz festival and Bouncin’ with Dex is another Quartet recording from the same period

Dexter Gordon - Swiss Nights Vol 1, Steeplechase (1980)

Dexter Gordon Quartet - Swiss Nights Vol 2, Steeplechase (1980)

Dexter Gordon Quartet - Bouncin’ with Dex, Steeplechase (1976)

2 Likes

In have ordered that LP, to see what Chuckles Waters has been up to recently, but my copy hasn’t been delivered yet.

Been listening to Lloyd Cole’s latest offering - via Qobuz - since it was released end of June.

Last night, finally took the plunge and bought a copy, both format, vinyl and CD.

Lloyd Cole : On Pain. Released June 2023.

Also bought tickets to see Mr Cole on his forthcoming Autumn tour.

Lloyd Cole (and also with The Commotions) has been a long standing favourite for both my best mate (my wife) and myself. We’ve seen him live quite a few times over the many years, back to the 80’s, etc.

A lot of his solo material is great, simpler arrangements, mostly acoustic. The joy of this latest album is that he is playing material with a band again. It’s brilliant. So, we’re really looking forward to the concert. We already know it’s split into two sets : (1) acoustic ; (2) electric band, etc. And the band includes two former colleagues from the Commotions. We can’t wait for the concert date.

KR
R

5 Likes

In a fit of self indulgence a few months ago that I’ve felt a bit foolish about ever since, I ordered 4 of the new DG Original Source issues ( Trout, Abbado, Ozawa and Gilels Sonatas) from the DG website.
I’d previously bought the Kleiber 7th and the Brahms Concertos which were worth the great expense, so I had egged myself on a bit :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This morning upon opening the post I can feel another 30% more foolish. This didn’t happen with my earlier order, so I guess the total cost of this order crossed a HMC value threshold that I wasn’t aware of. Ouch.

Morals of the story:

• Don’t order too many at once - I’m going to guess the limit is £100?
  • or order from the UK :persevere:
  • or don’t be so self- indulgent🤪
1 Like

5 Likes

Oh dear

Heads Up great value for money set: :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Currently on Amazon uk at £138 for the 9 x LP set

NEIL YOUNG / OFFICIAL RELEASE SERIES DISCS 22, 23+, 24 & 25

The 5th Volume of Reprise’s chronological re-issue of Neil Young’s official catalog.

4 Likes

I received my 3 black vinyl records from Blue Note and Third Man’s Detroit based 313 Series.

First up

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd, BN/TMR (2023)

Firstly what an incredible record A1 top draw late 60’s early 70’s Jazz.

Beautiful thick spot varnished tip on jacket which the photos below don’t really do justice.

The vinyl is perfectly flat and almost silent apparently people have reported cleaning them gets rid of this.

The sound is excellent in between a Classic Series and Tone Poet all in all I’m very, very pleased with this one.

3 Likes

2nd up.

Thad Jones - Detroit - New York Junction, BN/TMR (2023)

Again a beautiful spot varnished, tip on jacket.

I believe this mono recording from 1955 isn’t a RVG recording and it isn’t as excellent the Electric Byrd it is though still very good and very listenable.

The leads and solos are all recorded a bit ‘hot’ which is actually fine on my P8 but might be a problem for some.

It is though a definite keeper which I’m also very pleased to own.

2 Likes

Kenny Cox and The Contemporary Jazz Quintet - Multidirectional, BN/TMR (2023)

A word on the music first which I much prefer to the ‘Introducing’ title released on the BN Classic Series it’s exceptional and some of the best more ‘traditional’ Jazz from the late 60’s that I’ve heard.

Again beautiful cover and flat reasonably quiet vinyl. Sounds excellent and again a real keeper.

2 Likes

Blue Note and Third Man Records 313 series.

Just a word on the mastering by Warren Defever on the three records above that I own he’s done an excellent job he is someone I’d never heard of before this series but hats off.

All remastered from the original tapes and I think I read somewhere overseen by Don Was though I can’t 100% confirm that.

These were all the black vinyl variants and though I’ve read negative reviews on the SHF I couldn’t be happier with the three I have direct from TMR U.K.

1 Like

This one via Bandcamp.
No nonsense high octane rock, nicely recorded.
Looking forward to the upcoming tour even more after hearing this.

1 Like

Andrew Hill - Dance With Death
2023 Tone Poet BN

What a fantastic sound on this one. Great performance of every musician. One of the best Tone Poets! Had it on my list and got it finally when the price was dropping. An absolute must have :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live… :+1:t3: :grinning:

4 Likes

My limited vinyl collection dates from 70/80s, with newer special editions.
These two albums were ones I wanted back in 70/80s, but never did.

I’ve followed these two on discogs and eBay for years. Reluctant to buy without seeing and worried about condition.

Took the plunge last week and pleasantly surprised. Both were dusty and have cleaned up well. No scratches or major pops/clicks. The Kit Hain one sounds more crackle clear, the Burlesque one has more present crackles, but hey they are way better than I expected. Very happy.

3 Likes

Just arrived. Following the superb IASW & BB MFSL’s, I’m looking forward to this one.
Wonder how it’ll compare to my old US copy?

7 Likes

Arrived at last! Let’s hope they live up to a final net (landed in the UK to the satisfaction of HMC) cost of £55 each. I’m pretty sure they will :blush:

5 Likes

Say no more :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

The Banger Factory - Warriors, Banger Factory (2023)

Mastered by Frank Merrit @ The Carvery this excellent recording is real vfm @ less than £15. Stream it first and see if you like it.