What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Harold Land Quintet - The Peace-Maker, Cadet Records (2023)

A Harold Land double bill tonight first up is Verve by Request & Third Man Record’s reissue of the previously super rare The Peace-Maker remastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound again he has done the business with whatever source he was given, excellent.

Third Man’s own pressing plant have done an excellent job producing a silent and flat record. For the money the sleeve isn’t great to be honest but I’m nitpicking.

4 Likes

The Curtis Counce Group - You Get More Bounce With Curtis Counce - Contemporary Records (2022)

Part two of my Harold Land double bill is Craft & Acoustic Sounds wonderful reissue of this Roy DuNann banger!

It would take some skill not to get this type of sound out of Roy DuNann/Contemporary Records master tape and Bernie Grundman does a fantastic job I might one day source an original to see just how good a job he has done.

Again QRP have done an excellent job of pressing this record and though the sleeve is a shade below a Tone poet or an Acoustic Sounds it’s still a very nice job.

Luckily I didn’t pay full price and got about a third off for a slightly bent corner but the asking price at £40 or so is steep.

6 Likes

Looks lovely, @Bobthebuilder

I just found (and ordered) a Japanese vinyl copy of the Jamaican Version so my Wailer money’s kinda gone. Otherwise, I’d be seriously thinking about the boxset.

large

4 Likes

I was going to get the new JA Tuff Gong pressing but reviews were not great. The Jamaican versions on the Sessions disc on the Box Set are excellent though.

1 Like

My original copy of New Order’s ‘Substance’ is pretty scruffy and dog-eared and is all clicks and pops.
The remastered repress I have just bought today sounds really good and surprisingly (to my ears) is audibly better than my original copy from 1987.
As compilation albums go, it’s right up there with the best of them.

7 Likes
2 Likes

Glad it’s good. Just ordered.

1 Like

Now I’ve got the SL2s back and working properly I’ve been catching up on some LP purchases. First up is this one from Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder. Nicely cut by Bernie Grundman over four sides, this sounds predictably excellent. Main gripe is the use of paper inners - surely it’s deserving of some poly lined ones??

13 Likes

The latest Electronic Sound. Andy Weatherall edition!

Yes it counts, it comes with a 7" vinyl single featuring a few Woodleigh Research Facility tracks.

Winging its way to me as we speak!

1 Like

Great stuff - that gets a lot of plays here, streaming and the vinyl 8)

Another superb Bernie Grundman cut, using metalwork from the old Classic Records and with an immaculate pressing by QRP. If only all vinyl releases were done like this one…

8 Likes

Jason Isbell & the 400 unit “Weathervanes”, I think it’s his best since Southeastern. Very nicely produced by Jason and a completely silent and decent pressing that’s comes with poly lined inners and an outer jacket.

Label states “Life and Death songs played for and by grown ass people”

4 Likes

Thanks to @Richard.Dane for the Nina Simone, I didn’t buy Pastel Blues and I Put a Spell On You when these were released on Acoustic Sounds and I can see they are now almost £50 to buy new. Leonard Cohen was a good price and since I saw him live On this tour I needed to get a copy.

3 Likes

Fantastic record Richard on the same label In the Heart of the Moon with Ali F Toure and Toumani Diabate and their final recording Ali & Toumani are both exceptional beautiful pressings too.

1 Like

Did I really need another copy of Phil’s Face Value? Probably not, as the copies I already have seem to breed when I’m not looking. I must have at least six different copies, my US and U.K. originals, a Columbia Record Club reissue, and a recent reissue, so you could say, I’m good to go. Except… I’d heard that this latest 45rpm from Analogue Productions was something special, so in a moment of weakness, I ordered. And here it is. And… wow! Be careful with the volume control on the opener In The Air Tonight if you aren’t to have loudspeaker driver parts spat across the room as Phil hits the drums half way through.

On the strength of this one I’ve ordered some of the Genesis titles, and maybe more from the Atlantic 75th series.

11 Likes

What did you have done to your SL2’s Richard ?

Harry sold a few pairs here in Sydney , he said they are a very good speaker

Wish I had heard them

One of the tweeters had failed so I had to replace them.

Will you please stop posting how great your recent purchases sound, that’s the 3rd album I’ve ordered in past 24hrs! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I was tempted too, but having to get up half way through Supper’s Ready to turn the record over just seems wrong to me. I have resisted other double 12" single 45 RPM represses for similar reasons.

1 Like

Yes, this is a concern, although I reckon there’s possibly a good place in the track for a side break. We shall see…

I’m delighted to see that there are a couple of Donny Hathaway albums scheduled for release in this AP Atlantic 75th series. His first album had an excellent Speakers Corner release a few years back, but of more interest is his self-titled second album, with what might well be his finest song, Giving Up. That one will be hard to let pass by. And of course, I do wonder whether we might see any Led Zeppelin appear at some point…

1 Like