What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Amusing coincidence given my conversation with Krautnamie.
Glad to hear its a decent pressing, this is a BNC I cant avoid, cheers

2 Likes

Still waiting for mine @Dreadatthecontrols @Richard.Dane
Good to hear that it is good, I am also content of the last Optimal pressings, The Fab Boxset is also well done by them :wink:

1 Like

Good to know, both the recent Tina Brooks and Wayne Shorter releases are on my shelf waiting to be played I only have the Bernie Grundman Blue Note 75th Anniversary edition of Night Dreamer which although isn’t great I’ve still enjoyed playing so it looks like I’m in for a real treat.

s-l960
Thought this was an interesting pairing.

4 Likes

Fine album.

Last night a friend and his wife came to us for dinner, and in addition to a bottle of Veuve Clicquot they brought me this, which was obviously very welcome…

7 Likes

Not as good as Chateau De Chasselas

:+1::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Has anyone here got the half speed 50th anniversary of Ziggy Stardust, just wondering if its any good?

Overrated album IMHO.

Ah thats lovely Richard, Mrs M has been kind to me too, OK ing several LP purchases for Christmas. One of them being Ziggy Stardust 50th Anniversary.

Of course you need another copy of Hunky Dory, I have a few too. Those early Bowie albums were very inspirational to me back then as a teenager!

1 Like

Yes, it’s a very special album for me; I have such happy memories as a boy listening to Hunky Dory over and over again with my sisters. When I moved out to the States for school and found myself at age 13 feeling very alone in the middle of nowhere, I got myself an old record player amp and speakers and the first album I bought there was a copy of Hunky Dory, which I still have to this day. It was just a little bit of home. My eldest sister Sarah passed away from cancer all too soon back in 2006. I gave the eulogy for her funeral and played her favourite track from the album - Oh! You Pretty Things.

15 Likes

I meant any good in terms of SQ etc

1 Like

£5 well spent at a local antiques market

2 Likes

Yes and I played it yesterday.
It is excellent IMO

1 Like

That’s really nice Richard thanks for sharing that, my mum a Rock ‘n’ Roller till the end was buried in a customised Rolling Stones coffin to the sound of Paint it Black.

We, my brother and two sisters picked our favourite songs that reminded us of her mine was So Far Away by Carol King music is so important in those times.

3 Likes

For all you Tone Poet collectors…

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – 2024 Release Schedule:

January 5, 2024

Lou Donaldson – Midnight Creeper (Blue Note, 1968)
Elvin Jones – Poly-Currents (Blue Note, 1969)

February 2, 2024

Blue Mitchell – Down With It (Blue Note, 1965)
Joe Lovano – Trio Fascination: Edition One (Blue Note, 1997)

March 1, 2024

Jackie McLean – Action (Blue Note, 1964)
Booker Ervin – Tex Book Tenor (Blue Note, 1968)

April 5, 2024

Horace Silver – Silver’s Serenade (Blue Note, 1963)
Anthony Williams – Life Time (Blue Note, 1964)

May 3, 2024

Donald Byrd – Byrd’s Eye View (Transition, 1955)
Bobby Hutcherson – Total Eclipse (Blue Note, 1968)

June 7, 2024

Doug Watkins – Watkins At Large (Transition, 1956)
Kenny Dorham & Jackie McLean – Inta Somethin’ (Pacific Jazz, 1961)

July 5, 2024

Donald Byrd – Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill (Transition, 1956)
Wayne Shorter – Odyssey of Iska (Blue Note, 1970)

August 2, 2024

Lee Morgan – Taru (Blue Note, 1968)
Bobby Hutcherson – Medina (Blue Note, 1969)

September 6, 2024

The Modest Jazz Trio (Jim Hall/Red Mitchell/Red Kelly) – Good Friday Blues (Pacific Jazz, 1960)
Jackie McLean – Let Freedom Ring (Blue Note, 1962)

October 4, 2024

Booker Little – Booker Little 4 and Max Roach (United Artists, 1958)
Donald Byrd – Kofi (Blue Note, 1969-70)

November 1, 2024

Clifford Jordan – Cliff Jordan (Blue Note, 1957)
Bobby Hutcherson – Dialogue (Blue Note, 1965)

December 6, 2024

Freddie Roach – Good Move (Blue Note, 1963)
Hank Mobley – A Slice of the Top (Blue Note, 1966)

4 Likes

Arrived today…

Already cleaned and played.
Bloody Marvellous😊

6 Likes

Tina Brooks - True Blue, BN/Classic Series (2023)

An excellent record and an excellent pressing, flat, quiet and sonically very good.

My other copy the Blue Note Connoisseur by Capitol Records is also excellent it’s hard to say one is better than the other but at a push I’d say this copy from 1994 is to my ears slightly better the cover is also better.

But if you don’t have a copy of this excellent record don’t hesitate to buy the Classic Series release.

6 Likes

The Music Matters edition is really superb if you can still get it for sensible money

4 Likes