What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

David Bowie - Hunky Dory. Did I really need another copy of Hunky Dory?? Well, it’s probably my no.1 favourite album so I guess there’s always room for one more. And this one’s quite special. I originally ordered a copy of this EMI100 reissue back in the late '90s with Vivante (anyone remember them?). I waited, and waited, until finally being informed that they couldn’t get hold of a copy anymore so I was out of luck. I passed on a couple of secondhand copies, balking at the £100+ price tags, but the prices just kept rising. I put out wanted ads in the usual places with no response. And then a seemingly mint copy appeared online and D obviously saw me looking at it and agonising at the hefty price tag, and passing it by again…

Fast forward a few weeks and this appeared in the post. What a gal! Xx

17 Likes

One nation under a groove - funkadelic

1 Like

Yes I remember Vivante. I bought quite a few DCC releases from them on vinyl.
I think they were approximately £13 at the time!!

2 Likes

I do! Used to by lots from them they were great. I think they had some kind of falling out and then became Red Spark Music, dont know what happened after that

Just arrived from Juno…

I’ve been resisting this due to the ridiculous pricing and the fact that I have the Analogue Productions Doug Sax cut from back in the day.
However it appears that post FOMO these Craft OJC’s are becoming available at a more realistic price (33.50) so I let curiosity get the better of me.

Aretha Franklin- Live At Fillmore West (Speakers Corner/Atlantic)

Originally released in 1971 iirc, superb performance backed by King Curtis band and Memphis Horns.
KG cut.

Now I need to find a decent copy of King Curtis At Fillmore to companion the Aretha

:heart:

5 Likes

The Music on Vinyl is excellent of the King Curtis. Not sure of the source, but sound is as probably good as you could expect from what is a very live but not so “audiophile” recording.

2 Likes

Bill Evan’s Trio - Sunday At The Village Vanguard

Craft 23 AS Series

Finally my Postlady delivered it today and I am totally content with this one. Just made a quick test and it is silent and flat, SQ is perfect. Of course this is a FOMO buy @Dreadatthecontrols :wink: Over here there are only a few of this series from Bill Evans available so I preordered it back in May. My retailer is sold out so I’m okay with it. 40 euros is not too much for such a brilliant record I haven’t owned before

7 Likes

Thanks, its probably a HR digital source but thats not an issue for me. I’ve been listening to the “Deluxe edition” on Qobuz so if the MOV is at least as good…

1 Like

UK prices for Craft OJC’s have been near £50 but as I said if you wait they do drop a lot.
I have a pretty good sounding Alto Edition of SATVV but if/when the Craft price drops I might double dip just to have them both ( Vanguard & Waltz) as a pair from the same mastering source

1 Like

that makes sense, I am happy to have both now, both are brilliant. In the USA they cost 30$ but with all taxes and customs it makes no big sense for me

1 Like

MOV makes a real good job, the pressings are also good, I only had to send one back, that is a good sign. Bought the latest Weather Report edition and I am very happy with it, it’s good value for money these times

1 Like

Never had an issue with MOV, AAA fundamentalists might sniff but source material aside their pressings (Record Industry) are consistently up with the very best, I don’t know why more labels dont get their records pressed there.

Incidentally the Night Dreamer label is located above the Record Industry plant, some of their Direct To Disc Sessions are worth a look.

1 Like

@krautnaimie

1 Like

yeah, checking it out actually, didn’t want to order records this year…oh man :thinking:

my retailer has some records from them, the Isaiah Collier is to preorder for 30 EUR, this ok for a 2LP

1 Like

Havent heard the Isiah Collier

I have a few of the Direct To Discs, a couple of favourites being…

Sarathy Korwar & Upaj

Gary Bartz Maisha

1 Like

Just streaming Gary Bartz Maisha one, this dmn good sht

2 Likes

Try Sarathy Korwar, of the two thats my preference
And if you like Sarathy Korwar also try the My East Is Your West live album, HR on Qobuz vinyl from Gearbox records

2 Likes

I will order Gary Bartz/Maisha and Isaiah Collier (preorder) and I will stream the rest, they are not available over here. these 2 are hopefully the last orders for this year. :v:

This forum makes me poor :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Night Dreamer and Gearbox labels are also available on Bandcamp if thats an option for you

1 Like

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer on Blue Note’s Classic Vinyl reissue series. Another superb release from BN. And another excellent pressing from Optimal, which is encouraging!

13 Likes