What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

I’m catching up with the LPs I bought over the last few months and delighted to spin this old favourite from my days at the Naim factory. I’d often hear it being played from the Dem room as Steve ( @110db ) was fine tuning the prototype Nait 5i. The Vinyl is yellow and sounds great, although it possibly doesn’t eclipse the CD.

3 Likes

Got this today - on the Technics now. Can’t believe I’ve never actually listened to the whole album before…:man_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes

Surprisingly I felt that Abbey Rd master sounded better than my original vinyl.
Yes, I’ve probably mentioned this before, I turned my Linn/Naim dealer onto Ernie Ranglin and BTB and he used it regularly as a dem record. I wonder if this fed back to Naim HQ.

I also recommend the follow up Memories Of Barber Mack

1 Like

It does sound very good indeed, and as is usual for vinyl when replayed well it gives a very lucid inner clarity of detail and an almost hypnotic quality to rhythms.

2 Likes

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season. An album I’ve loved on CD, but never had on vinyl. I fixed that a few months back and now giving it a spin. Such a great album, the vinyl has been done very nicely!

9 Likes

You need to check out the original Jamaican ska, dub and reggae tracks that are the basis of those tunes. Can give you a playlist if it interests

1 Like

That TP 2024 3rd quarter has some gems in my book:

Jackie Mclean - Let Freedom Ring (agree that some do not like his tone, but that is a good record)
Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue (may require a few listens)
Hank Mobley - A Slice of The Top (any BN with James Spaulding is my cart)

2 Likes

Regarding the Tone Poet list luckily I’m not a Jazz aficionado and so 60% or 70% of those releases are not known to me and all but one or two look very interesting any Donald Byrd from the 1950’s and 60’s is a must have for me ditto Lee Morgan & Jackie McClean.

Wayne Shorter Odyssey of Iska written for his daughter is also a must have for me I’d not heard it before watching the recent Wayne Shorter film on Amazon but have listened to it a lot recently and can’t wait to hear a proper vinyl copy.

Blue Mitchel, Junior Cook & Chick Corea together on Down With It is also of interest in fact the only title from the list I wouldn’t want to own as discussed on the pre order thread is Lou Donaldson’s Midnight Creeper.

2 Likes

Midnight Creeper = boring & cheesy imo
Slice Of The Top I already own.
I overlooked Let Freedom Ring but I’m still with @krautnaimie on Wayne Shorter Odyssey Of Iska being the highlight on first glance

The point of the TP series though is to highlight in top quality lesser known titles, so maybe in due course after some streaming there may be more previously unheard jewels to discover

2 Likes

Brilliant record one of the very best of the period. b

1 Like

Joe Pass - Better Days, Gwyn Records/P-Vine (2023)

In my opinion up there with the very best Jazz guitar recordings of all time I’ve been looking for a copy ever since this reissue came out on P-Vine and found this used copy for a not too bad price.

I first heard it a couple of years ago on youtube and then looking on Discogs I saw no copies for sale and a median price of £217 so I’m very, very happy to finally own a copy.

2 Likes

Bought a collection of about 100 Japanese singles, from the eighties.

I just had to listen to them on my vintage Hitachi turntable/Teac amp. :blush:

I can see why people collect Japanese vinyl, sound quality is very good. Some of the music is very good, some I wouldn’t want to listen too again.

Packaging is interesting. Record in paper sleeve, that and photo in a plastic sleeve. The reverse of photo contains lyrics and details. Some include music.

2 Likes

When did you pick up the vinyl of Ernst Richard ?

I’m trying to locate it but can’t find it anywhere

Thanks

That one was an RSD special, so probably will need to search aftermarket sellers, Discogs, Ebay etc.
The original Island Jamaica Jazz pressing is/was a few hundred pounds now.
Beware the Universal Japan re issue

Or the original CD should be easy to find, costs less and has more tracks

I bought it online a few days after Record Store Day, IIRC.

Wayne Shorter- Night Dreamer
Blue Note Classic Series by Optimal 2023

With a one-week-delay it finally arrived. Again a wonderful pressing by Optimal @Dreadatthecontrols :+1: Wonderful soundstage and great lineup again. Another vote for the Classic Series and a real bargain in these days

9 Likes

Pleased to hear the positive feedback on this one, its on my to buy list.
Along with Odyssey Of Iska when that finally lands my Wayne Shorter Blue Note period should be nicely complete.
Enjoy
:heart:

1 Like

5 Likes

Great session - it originally came out on New Jazz. Some copies sound great, some not so great.

1 Like

Haven’t heard it yet but it should be good, it’s a 100% analogue KG job.