What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

5 Likes

I’ve been after a copy of this for many years since I first started listening to jazz. So when thw Craft/OJC list came out it’s amongst the first that jumped out at me unfortunately I have a release date of 04/01/24 on my pre.

So what’s it like?

Chip Wickham - Shamal Wind. I heard a track from this on the radio, really liked it, so bought the album, on vinyl, of course! Sounds great!

3 Likes

Gonna out it on shortly @Bobthebuilder

Wow! What an album! Chip Wickham where have you been all my life?? This is awesome!

3 Likes

I’m a fan too Richard and have several LP’s and 12"s. Chip was an original member of Mathew Halsall’s Gondwana Orchestra before going out on his own, he has recently returned to Gondwana Records his last 4 track EP from earlier this year Love & Life is excellent as was last years
Astral Travelling.

1 Like

Thanks Kev.

1 Like

Because of this enthusiasm I had to look this unknown up online. Cool tip, didn’t know him. Mrs Manning likes Halsall, me a bit less, this Wickham is a very welcome addition, thank you, enjoyed the album very much last night.

2 Likes

Echoing others, all his catalogue sound great and they are very nicely packaged too. I note that I bought Shamal Wind on CD back in 2019 !

1 Like

Just about to pick up a vinyl copy.

Too bad about the photo with the gob-stopper.

6 Likes

More used vinyl from the excellent Tubeway records Bridgnorth. …I also spoilt the window display buying all the record cases.

3 Likes

Just grabbed 2 nice Jazz records at my local record shop;

Bud Powell - The Scene Changes
1983 Blue Note Toshiba Japanese Pressing

Dexter Gordon & Slide Hampton Sextet - A Day in Copenhagen
1971 MPS German Pressing

Both are in NM/VG condition, actually I am cleaning them.

@Dreadatthecontrols at the MPS record the wonderful Dizzy Reece is part of the Sextet :ok_hand:

7 Likes

My only Black Friday/RSD purchase - picked up from Leighton Buzzard this morning. I now have the complete Fillmore West box on vinyl as well as CD - Deadheads will appreciate this.

4 Likes

Nice!

Thanks for the heads up re Dizzy Reece, MPS are nearly always good recordings dont think I’ve heard A Day In Copenhagen so definitely one to check out (found it in HiRes on Qobuz)

I expect the Blue Note Toshiba should be good, I think I have The Scene Changes on a Music Matters edition will have to double check.

Hope your enjoying the vinyl of Gary Bartz & Maisha
Cheers!
:heart:

1 Like

Looks like maybe he had a dodgy tooth

Don Leisure with Amanda Whiting - Beyond the Midnight Sun, First World Records (2023)

Really happy with this an all Welsh collaboration between producer Don Leisure and Harpist Amanda Whiting.

Well mastered by Noel Somerville at the Leisure Centre.

The Toshiba is in a NM condition, sleeve and record, looking forward to listen to both

The Gary Bartz should arrive within the next 2 weeks…hopefully. My retailer had to order it. Keep you updated @Dreadatthecontrols

1 Like

Nat Birchall - Songs of The Ancestors
(Afro Trane Chapter 2) Ancient Archive of Sound (2023)

The follow up to the excellent Afro Trane and equally as good. Nat Birchall is up there with the very best and imo one of our best living Jazzmen.

Again he plays all the instruments, mixes and masters the record himself and does a fantastic job again.

1 Like

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Witch Doctor, BN/Tone Poet (2021)

I know this was very well received on the forum on its initial reissue I missed it first time round but managed to pick up this almost mint used copy of the 2023 repressing.

What a line up Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter with the excellent Bobby Timmons. This is what the Tone Poet reissue program was meant to be imo. A1, top drawer.

3 Likes

Thank you Samii at Universal!

3 Likes