What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Richard Strauss
Death and Transfiguration
Karajan/BPO
DG Original Source Series
#1600/3000

Warming up the stereo, then I’ll get this on deck.

3 Likes

A nice quartet from Jess at Pure Pleasure…

1 Like

This one that’s been on pre-order for an age.
Not quite as impressive as “Dire Straits” and “Communique” on first listen but I find my 1st press of On Every Street is a great sounding record anyway, but a little noisy.
EDIT:
Just played this again - either my ears or my system were having an off night because tonight it sounds simply stunning.

Then this one.

Since getting the Degritter I’ve spread my wings and bought a few items off Discogs. I gave up using eBay years ago because I could never concur with the gradings.
I only ever buy items listed as Mint or Near Mint and on eBay I lost count of the times I complained about an item to get a response of “considering it’s 30 years old, it is mint”. Sorry, but mint is mint is mint, without proviso.
On Discogs I have had a couple of “M/NM” items that I would grade slightly lower myself but nothing as bad as eBay.
This one however is superb. The cover is mint and the vinyl looks and plays perfectly.

6 Likes

Today’s haul from one of the local record shops (except for the Stones, bought last week).

3 Likes

Mal Waldron - Mal-2, Craft/OJC (2023)

Epic!

2 Likes

The Ben Webster Quintet - Soulville, Verve/Acoustic Sounds (2024)

Every now and then a reissue comes along that just blows you away, Ryan Smith and Chad Kassem have produced something wonderful it’s up there with Analogue Productions 45rpm of Ella and Louis’ first record.

I’ve been after a copy of this for many years and know it very well but this is something else Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Herb Ellis, Stan Levy and Ben are transported into your living room.

Forget FOMO and pay the asking price.

4 Likes

I gave in, and ordered from the States the limited Rhino ‘Audiophile’ Kevin Gray remaster of one of my favourite albums (and band):

Television’s Marquee Moon

Though I’ve never had a SQ problem with my original US copy, this is too much a favourite record to not at least hear the new cut.

4 Likes

Nice package, dead flat and quiet and sounds sublime. The bass on Horoscope is outrageous and certainly adds to the original issue.

IMG_0668

2 Likes

Arrived over the weekend, yet to give it a spin.

3 Likes

The last two purchases from my high-fidelity dealer!

5 Likes

Ordered!

1 Like

This for a steal on the river.

2 Likes

Cracking record.

It is. A delicate and lovely thing.

1 Like

Can you let me know if you get a clean copy? I tried twice from the River when it initially came out and both copies had non-fill issues. I give it another go if yours is good, thks

Mine is both clean and flat. There is a very slight dish on lp 2 but nothing dramatic and not one I would send the record back for. My Sondek is happy with it. As to fill issues, I cant say that I have noticed but my hearing isn’t what it was I’m afraid but I certainly haven’t noticed anything that gave me concerns.

Thanks James, that’s good enough for me to try again.

11 Likes

That’s a shame because it really is a nice issue. I ended up with three copies which had (iirc) 36 very light ticks on track 2, but otherwise very good.

1 Like

I found a nice little used bookshop which sells used cd’s and records too. Obviously I had to go in and buy something…

Jethro Tull - Stand Up (Spanish pressing)
King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic (Spanish pressing)
Supertramp - Free As A Bird (UK pressing)

They all need a good wash when I get them home but look to be in good nick.

and the shop itself

10 Likes