What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Airbag - A Day At The Beach (Clear Vinyl)

3 Likes

Ah, interesting, so they are! According to Discogs, all coloured vinyl copies are Ltd edition? Variants being green, green marble, white w/green starburst, orange, transparent orange and finally clear with green and white splatter (ooh - fancy!). Standard black vinyl seems unavailable, which I guess will replace the colour issues when sold out.

Hurrah! Third time lucky :slight_smile:

This arrived today. Sopwith Camel - The Miraculous Hump Returns From The Moon. This album has had a few mentions on different threads in recent months from the likes of @Numptyhead and @Richard.Dane amongst others. I was intrigued by descriptions of the music and had a listen online to some of the tracks and was very impressed with what I heard. I’m giving the LP its first spin now and really enjoying it. By complete coincidence and without me realising, earlier today I was playing Jonathan Wilson’s Fanfare album (probably third or fourth listen) and one of the tracks sounded very familiar. On checking the name of the track, I discovered it was a cover of Fazon from this Sopwith Camel LP.

Anyway, thanks to all who mentioned this wonderful record.

6 Likes

Bought a second copy…this is the 2 Disc version…

6 Likes

Chet Baker Quartet - Chet Baker Quartet - Sam Records Mono Reissue (2012)
Limited Edition of 750 copies all analogue remaster from the original tapes and pressed at Pallas, Germany.

7 Likes

The Delines - Colfax
An attractively priced eBay item, the vinyl looks and sounds like new.

4 Likes

Great album. I have it on boring old black vinyl - it sounds wonderful! How does your version sound?

1 Like

Recorded shortly after the hugely talented (I’m not allowed to say his correct name) Richard Twardzik) was found In a hotel room dead from a heroin overdose.
This profoundly effected Chet Baker Twardzik was a kindred spirit and a musician he admired greatly he’d begged him to come on this European tour with him and unfortunately addicted heavily to drugs the pairs relationship seems doomed to have ended in tragedy.
However Baker was contracted to record this record and had to draft in two relative unknowns the resulting LP made up of standards is a mixed bag but the slower tempo suited Baker’s mood and in my opinion contains moments of real beauty.

1 Like

I have the box set of Complete Barclay Recordings, 3 x LP + 2 EPs.
Must dig it out and have a listen, not played it for ages.
Thanks for reigniting my interest !

1 Like

I got up very early and joined a queue on RSD2019 to bag a copy of that. Well worth it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds great! I’ve read reports in the past of others finding colour vinyl losing some magic, fortunately not this one. I’ve really grown to like this band.

2 Likes

Ironically can’t play at the mo, hopes it good!

Is it me, or do those blue swirls spoil a great cover?

2 Likes

Well done Neil. I have to admit to being a bit obsessed with this album. A strange and fantastic record. Even if you include the likes of Zappa or Van Dyke Parks or even the Bonzo Dogs - I can’t think of another album that has so many diverse musical ideas inside 40 mins. Almost too creative!

I took my copy along to my dealer last week to audition a NAP 300DR. Naturally my dealer hadn’t heard Fazon and was totally blown away. It was the track of choice throughout the audition. That bass line pulls the whole song together and sounded awesome. I think I might be spending some well-earned very soon.

Thanks for the recommendation - it was your description of the music on this album that first piqued my interest. I made a mental note to check it out but forgot about it, then someone else mentioned it, which prompted me to listen to it online. As you say, it’s strange and fantastic. Yet, it’s still quite accessible. The vinyl copy sounds wonderful.

Also, I’m still working my way through some of your funk recommendations!

Good luck with the 300DR. I’ve not upgraded my system (apart from a new CD player in 2008) since 1993, but since joining this forum, I’ve now got the upgrading bug again - perhaps in a year or two.

1 Like

These were delivered yesterday and have now been through the RCM, ready for a spin…

11 Likes

Time to wind up the Project VC-E…

5 Likes

Screenshot 2020-07-04 at 13.17.58

Arriving later today

5 Likes

Dub courtesy of the Rebel Allia…er,
Creation Rebel - Starship Africa

Fab!

2 Likes