What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

Floating for the ND5XS2, Chassis for the Naim DAC

3 Likes

By dedicated line do you just mean a radial circuit from the existing consumer unit (4mm twin and earth) or a separate consumer unit as well? I put in a dedicated line from my consumer unit and didn’t notice a SQ increase. It didn’t reduce the hum on the Naim units either.

1 Like

Answering myself now as I have seen your further posts. You do indeed mean a separate line and cu. My bad.

2 Likes

Mine is a separate feed, so split after the meter, then an additional cu just supplying the Hifi units in the lounge.

The original main house cu is not touched at all, it will be interesting to hear the setup especially as our house is over 50 years old and general degradation will probably have had some affect on the original wiring, sockets etc.

You have certainly done it the right way. I just ran a dedicated radial circuit from my cu. A true separate feed would mean too much upheaval and I would not get domestic approval for it!!

Dear @Bjm
Just caught up and seen latest posts…

Yes, separate dedicated radial, just for audio or AV equipment. General consensus is 10mm2 T&E (twin and earth) cable is considered best.

As a resource, maybe take a look at this thread…
(Lots of others on this forum. However, note the wiring diagram for best practice).

Usual caveat, regulations may be different in international markets. Also, always consult a qualified electrician, etc.

Hope that helps?
R

2 Likes

Many thanks @ratrat . I have read this thread but do not understand the logic. In the UK all products have a fuse in the plug of a maximum 13A. Excluding cookers and showers, there will either be ring circuits protected by a 32A RCD with 2.5mm T&E cable, or radial protected by a 20A RCD with 4mm T&E.

Most of us connect our music gear to a mains distribution block which may have perhaps 6 sockets but the block itself will be protected by a 13A or 15A/16A fuse. With this in mind, why is 10mm T&E required if using a dedicated line? Surely a distribution block will still be used with a maximum 16A fuse?

I am not an expert by any means but keen to understand.

Hey @silverback
That all looks brilliant.

You’ve done well to work with an electrician in that way. (Maybe is he a good friend) ? As electricians have to “sign off” or certify electrical work, many will want to ensure it’s all done to standard and wish to do it themselves. ( Refer to 18th edition, Part P, etc).

Did you install the 10mm into the MK switch less faceplates for yourself ? How were your finger tips :joy:

All credit. Wishing you lots of luck
R

@Bjm

Lots of questions raised in this post. Maybe too many to explore here. (Avoiding thread drift, etc).

By coincidence a new thread “Dedicated Mains”, has just started tonight. So, maybe join in and ask your questions there…

In-the-meantime, for what it’s worth, it just works. Results are very worthwhile for Naim audio systems. However, appreciate not everyone’s situation allows such work.

Good luck
R

We have worked in a similar situation but I’m more engineering based but we both have a good understanding of each other fields but basically I do the donkey work he checks it and carries out the technical part, he knows I work to a high standard so it results in everyone benefitting.

He said I’m the best apprentice he has had, cheeky sod😂

1 Like

Thanks again @ratrat , I have now asked my question on that thread.

1 Like

My nDac is set to chassis , but ND5XS2 is set to default.
Given your post I’m assuming I should change that to be floating.
Can you explain why and what this does?

Hoping for more SQ gains :grimacing:

I’m no technical expert but you only need one of them set for grounding purposes. In your case the nDac and ND5XS2 are both trying to be grounded. You should try setting your ND5XS2 to float I bet you’ll notice increased SQ.

4 Likes

Done… and yes there’s an improvement. Thank you for this!!

1 Like

The way Naim systems are grounded is by using a single ground for all boxes, so the signal ground runs from power amp to preamp to source, and from source to mains earth. It’s important that it only connects to mains earth at one point. In this case, it’s your NDAC that does this for the whole system (assuming that you do not also have a Naim CD player) and it should be set to Chassis.

Your streamer is connected by an SPDIF cable, which doesn’t carry the signal ground so it’s not part of the whole system ground. If it, and your NDAC, were both connected to your preamp you would set it to floating, but it’s not. Just set it to whatever sounds best.

4 Likes

Just had an update from the courier ndac should be here in the morning, think I have everything covered, we have shelf space,BNC adapter for the chord digital cable, sorted for grounding, thanks to advice from forum members.

Understand I need to reset the output for the Nd5xs2 from din to BNC and hopefully we will have music unless there is something else I need to do?

2 Likes

Smile and enjoy

1 Like

I certainly hope so and thanks for all your advice plus the heads up regarding Signals :+1:

2 Likes

Quick question regarding din connection from ndac to 282, ndac manual is saying use aux1 on preamp, connection guide is showing aux2, I would of put it in the cd input of the 282 seems a little confusing especially as aux1&2 are also powered.

Can some kind member just clarify for me, thanks. I’m

Thanks for the explanation…
I’ve set the ND5XS2 to floating and it’s given things a real boost…

3 Likes