What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

Those are the settings I use when trying to make the dac work digital bnc and native. I had the dac working for nearly a month before it stopped. I’m currently back on din because I’ve taken the dac back out to use the rest of my system till the next round of attempts to find and solve the issue.

Ok, at least good to check.

1 Like

Yeah at this point I wish it would be something like that because while it would be embarrassing at least it would be fixed :joy:

I’m just curious SiS are you on an Android phone? I don’t have radio buttons like you. I’m using an iPhone

What router with what PSU?

Good idea for diagnosing current problem - and also long term for listening to TV, e.g. the wonderful world of YouTube music videos.

The latest BT consumer devices, SmartHubs, are really quite decent devices. Rock solid stability, strong WiFi (for our SuperUniti) and proper IGMP. No multi band issues.

Powered by a PSU we had lying about, technically very similar to the MCRU units.

When we had one of the old BT hubs it was bettered for performance and features by a TPLink router. No need now.

1 Like

Indeed, recent BT consumer network equipment have been first class and technically very proficient. Hardly surprising when you think about it when several dependent business models from the communications provider rely on reliable home internet services.

Grabbed an amazon basics optical cable for just under £5 could have grabbed a Chinese brand but didn’t want to risk a duff cable considering I’m trying to test stuff. Looks like I should be able to use it to link my tv to my nd5xs2 as well.

3 Likes

I get a lot of joy out of YouTube as a different way to browse and discover music from decades past - amazing gigs especially, brought to life by the visuals of the musicians playing live, sounding great through my hifi.

Also, the fibre optic cable brings zero EM noise into the system, so it’s not that far behind on SQ if the source video is good.

4 Likes

Idea for another test:
In case you have an iOS device like iPhone or iPad you could connect it to the nDac via USB cable. If all works fine, you should be able to play music

I think dmu has already tried this option and it worked fine but good recommendation.

3 Likes

YouTube can be good … though I have noticed I am using it less recently… however musically it does use lossy compressive audio AAC which can be quite low bit rates which really prevents immersive or enjoyable listening for me… but fine for accompanying video… obviously really.
It’s on a par with DAB+ radio with bit rates from 48 to 128 kbps AAC and premium subscribers upto 256 kbps AAC, but less than the BBC so called ‘HD’ lossy streams.
Though I understand YouTube Music premium members have access to the OPUS codec as well as AAC since July. OPUS is better than AAC supposedly for low bit rates.

I am a YouTube premium member.

And yes, it is clearly not as good as streaming from Qobuz.

But it can be a fully immersive musical experience for me if the video and performance is compelling.

1 Like

Excellent… I tend to have my eyes shut when absorbed listening (I do this at some concerts as well)… which my gown up kids take the mickie out of me over… so perhaps one reason why YouTube doesn’t quite work for me musically. :grinning:

4 Likes

I enjoy listening to Qobuz in a dark room with just a lava lamp, and also with my eyes shut quite often too.

2 Likes

Morning dmu just wondering how things are working out, any joy solving the issue?

2 Likes

Trying the optical cable late this afternoon first I’m going to test the cable by getting my system without the ndac to do tv output via the nd5xs2. Will also give me the opportunity to mess with tv settings. Then I’ll put the ndac back in and connect it directly to the tv.

3 Likes

I just came across this on YouTube, a stellar guitar solo by Joe Pass:

Sounds great through ND5XS2/NDS/52/135s/SL2s.

2 Likes

Slight delay on the experiment to early tomorrow afternoon (unfortunately my mum can neither magically create time or clone herself and an appointment ran long this afternoon).