What's going to happen to your system after your great escape

Following on from the “What’s going to happen to your music collection” is the inevitable question as to what happens to our systems after the great escape. So here is the thread to share thoughts and experiences.

My wife mentioned a while ago that she doesn’t want to get stuck with my systems if I’m to first to exit. She could probably handle keeping the Star or Nova, but not the main rig. So, in simple terms would be a planned down-size in say 15 years (I’m 57). In an unexpected event, she knows to contact my dealer to buy it, or get advice about selling, and I have a spreadsheet listing all the gear with purchase expected re-sale prices listed.

Interested in other peoples thoughts and experiences which I’m sure will be inspiring and helpful for others.

5 Likes

You can over think these things and end up not enjoying your life.

7 Likes

Well, yes, exactly.

2 Likes

We have some old folks……should have spent their money……still don’t want to spend their money😥

3 Likes

Indeed you can. Say someone downsized at 72, then lived another 10 or 20 years? On the other hand, you could be knocked over tomorrow on the way to the shops. It’s really important to live in the present.

14 Likes

Yes, live your life in the present, but it is only right to give your better half guidance on how to dispose of your system (assuming it is no longer wanted) to maximise financial return and simplify the process.

Not a grand escape, but rather than trade in my Nova against my new NC system, I gave it, together with surplus switch, NAS and cables, to my daughter and her pertner.

8 Likes

Nice one.

3 Likes

Our boys will sort it out, one already had dibs on some records, and the equipment, so why worry. Most of my stuff is 30 or more years old anyway, so hardly worth anything.

The other son is not particularly interested. Perhaps I should have two of everything to leave, so there will be no trouble between the two boys.

I have been trying to get rid of stuff anyway, and have sold quite a bit of photographic stuff, but there is still plenty to go, and even with encouragement from mrs fergch there is shed loads (literally) to be sold.

By the way NigelB, if my better half (wife) knew what I had spent over the years on any of the stuff I have accumulated, there would be big trouble. And, yes, good idea to give it away…

Interested parties please contact me…

1 Like

Yes, this was my main motivation for the discussion, and whether people down size when older (smaller house etc). Just a sharing of thoughts really.

1 Like

I would imagine a big complex Naim system along with all the cables and burndys would be a total nightmare. No one would have the foggiest what does what and how to even make anything work - further compounded by the fact that all boxes look the same.

5 Likes

As @TOBYJUG says. I’ve told my wife to contact our dealer, Graham’s, when I snuff it…I don’t think she’ll want to keep the Linn, Naim stuff but at least they could help out with ideas for a simpler alternative should she want it. Whether that’s p/ex or not, I’ve no idea.

2 Likes

Hopefully not sell it for what I told her I paid for it all :joy::joy::sweat_smile:

13 Likes

I’ve left notes to call the nearish local dealer who already also sells Naim stuff second hand. I’m sure for a cut, they will come and box the lot up, sell it, and give back any profit (used no doubt towards the celebrations :blush: )

3 Likes

I visualised explaining it to my kids just so they’d understand anyway including the right order to turn it off and on, but in my vision I could see them glazing over and caught up in disbelief. I daren’t mention how precious the cabling is.

3 Likes

My wife and I are putting together a family trust. It will specify that the record collection (some 5000 LPs) and the hifi system will be sold to a buyer, with the proceeds going 50/50 to no-kill dog shelters and cancer research.

10 Likes

That’s a good point, what will they think when they see that your mains cables which matches the kettle lead, cost over £400 . Initially alarmed but then delighted at what it may fetch. The worst thing might be if they didn’t realise it and just used it for the kettle because it was prettier :smile:

5 Likes

A somewhat-serious reply . . . make sure people know who to get help from with respect to valuable items. This info can be recorded anywhere . . . so long as people know where to find it.

Hi Fi – the name of a trusted dealer should be good. Someone they can sell it to or who can sell it off.

Same with other collectibles that are valuable; pre-identify trusted dealers, etc.

3 Likes

Part of what’s going into my trust is who the potential buyers should be; for example, Acoustic Sounds or AudiophileUSA for my record collection, and possibly Acoustic Sounds for my gear as well.

2 Likes

The present is sadly underestimated!!! Totally agree…keep the big rig…just let the better half know who to contact if something happens… in my case say I was fortunate to live another ten years…my hifi system’s value would not be that great…it’s not like i have invested in gold bars…

1 Like

I have cataloged every component with retail, price paid, and approximate value for my wife. After my demise she can contact dealer, Audiogon, TMR, ect. to liquidate my system. Vinyl and cassettes go to my brother. CDs to local used record shop. Should simplify the process!

2 Likes