When did this craziness start? Are our green goals misaligned with common sense?

OR, better, if we made the gas and oil industry capture the methane they produce and release…

2 Likes

Yea maybe we should give each cow a big diaper to capture methane. :wink:

1 Like

Found a much nicer one to this. We have been using Clipper for ages due to the of plastics but was always underwhelmed by their actual tea. We tried loads recently trying to find an environmentally friendly one we liked. And have gone for this lot

Best Earl Grey I have tasted it really is lovely. All teas ethically sourced , environmental packaging all biodegradable , B corp status and good to staff. All blended and put together in Manchester. You can do online orders to. Highly recommend you try them. Not as cheap as Clipper but the tea is leagues ahead and life’s to short for crap tea.

1 Like

Excellent idea! I hope my central heating is ready for methane.
I’m sure Bosch - the Germans - have an industrial and cultural advantage to handle scheisse.

I’m not an expert but what I got from that was: the benefit that grazing animals have on climate change is 100 times greater than than the negative impact of the methane they produce.

2 Likes

It drives me nuts the things we put in plastic. We’re leaving a mess to future generations and it’s despicable.

1 Like

It is an interesting talk, but he only seems to refer to the fact that the cows are transpiring water, and the sun hits those water molecules which creates free radicals that neutralize methane.

Now, it would seem that there are simpler ways to get water vapour into the air, and in a way that doesn’t also release a lot of methane at the same time?

Also the water has to be brought to the cows to drink first, and we are already dealing with a water shortage as well in parts of the world…

No - what he was saying was that the grazing cattle maintained a grass sward, and it was that sward that transpired water (cows don’t transpire). Remove the cows, the sward becomes less productive in that sense.

Ah right, thanks for the clarification!

What is described would then only work i imagine if the grazers are free roaming and able to graze very large swaths of land, in the way that large grazers such as bizons did in the past. This would however make both the land and the grazers unsuitable for other purposes.

I don’t really see how this math would work with modern cows and pastures, as part of our (industrial) food supply…

1 Like

Yes - as he says, high-intensity cattle rearing in concrete enclosures doesn’t do the job. Places like here in Devon, though, it would work well. The cattle and sheep are free-roaming, and much of the land is not suitable for anything other than grazing (too steep and difficult for arable, largely).

2 Likes

They have some nice teas.

1 Like

I would highly recommend the UK Loose Leaf Tea Company. I use them on a regular basis and their service has always been excellent :relaxed:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.