Which artist do you wish you’d seen?

That’s an easy one for me, Led Zeppelin.

1 Like

Me too, but I saw Plant twice and Page once so I did not list them.:grin:

Hmmmm…

1. Led Zeppelin (obviously)
  2. Leonard Cohen
  3. Deep Purple
    … or Prince
    … or The Who
1 Like

Difficult, so many, but:

Nick Drake
Joy Division
Miles Davis

I said above that I’d have liked to have a coffee with Richard Wagner. What might be even more fun would be to invite him round to listen to Solti and Culshaw’s magical recording of ‘The Ring’ (say the Entry of the Gods into Valhalla) over the LP12/Naim/QUAD ESL57s, and see what he made of that particular ‘magic fire’.

It would probably scare him to death, poor bugger.

I love Nick Drake’s music. He didn’t enjoy performing in front of an audience. During a gig at Ewell Technological College in 1970 he walked of stage in the middle of Fruit Tree. I asked Ralph McTell (by email) about this as he was headlining the concert. Ralph said he had tried to calm Nick’s nerves but he was just monosyllabic. Ralph felt however bad he felt he owed it to the audience to finish his set.

2 Likes

Jimi Hendrix Experience in the Chislehurst caves. Mind you, I would be a bit older than I am now had I been there…

Wow, you’re the first person I’ve heard that’s seen Nick!
I’m guessing you’re a little older than me :joy:
Nice feather in your cap :+1:

1 Like

I had tickets to see Lana Del Rey, and then she cancelled the tour due to illness; I think it was more to do with the oncoming covid outbreak. So still hoping.

I regret not seeing Siouxsie and the Banshees live; when I could afford to go, they were past their peak, so I lost interest.

Kate Bush

1 Like

If you were going to invite old Dickie over, best not mention to him that Solti was a Jew…

1 Like

I would loved to have seen:

Duke Ellington
Can
Hendrix
Bill Evans
Pink Floyd pre-1977
Led Zep pre-1979
The Who with Keith Moon
Kraftwerk pre-1981
Bowie pre-1983
Velvet Underground
The Stranglers with Hugh Cornwell
Grateful Dead 1973

3 Likes

Rush
Rush
Rush

4 Likes

The Rolling Stones (Mick Taylor era)
David Bowie
Talking Heads
Tom Waits
Joni Mitchell
Jackie Leven

1 Like

Maria Callas
Jussi Björling
Glen Gould

2 Likes

Jaco
Miles
Ella
Freddie Hubbard
Michael Brecker

2 Likes

The Band
Linda Ronstadt
Laura Nyro
Ennio Morricone

1 Like

Keith Jarrett
Miles Davis
Vivaldi

1 Like

There are a lot of 70s bands I wish I had seen. Zep, Free and Bad Co come straight to mind. Saw lots of stuff in the 80s, some were good some average.

I did however see Lynyrd Skynyrd, (with Ronnie) in 77. My first ever concert as a 6th former. Birmingham Odeon, and Pete Haycock from the Climax Blues Band joined them for Freebird. Allen Collins had to be held upright by a roadie right at the end, must have had too much of “something”.

1 Like

Well I am for sure asking autographs from Stravinsky, Nijinsky and Monteux! :laughing:

1 Like

Charlie Parker/Bud Powell/Dizzy Gillespie/Charlie Mingus - at Massey Hall 1953

Erroll Garner at Concertgebouw 1964

Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1968

2 Likes