Which artist do you wish you’d seen?

MF Doom

1 Like

It would have been about 1976 when I signed up for a 6th-form school trip to see The Carpenters in London. Sadly, it was cancelled due to Karen’s health issues, and I never had the chance to see/hear them ‘live’ again.
It’s a great regret that I never got to hear that wonderful velvety voice live.

4 Likes

I had tickets to see Gil- Scott Heron at the 2011 Meltdown festival at RFH. but unfortunately he died and I never got to see him live

1 Like

If we’re going to specify dates, I’d have loved to have been at the Village Vanguard to see Bill Evans on 25 June 1961. The Village Vanguard is such an intimate venue and that day spawned the albums ‘Sunday at the Village Vanguard’ and, my favourite, ‘Waltz for Debby’.

2 Likes

Humble Pie, the Fillmore East, 1971.

Their incandescent version of “I don’t need no doctor” is one of the greatest performances in rock music IMHO.

2 Likes

Niccolo Paganini
Peter, Paul and Mary
Janis Joplin
Aster Piazzolla

1 Like

OH yeah. Me too! :+1:

1 Like

A masqued ball in the early 18th century where Handel and Scarlatti competed to see who was the greatest keyboard player.

1 Like

Is that available on Vinyl🤔…
:rofl:

No but Murray Perahia’s cd Handel and Scarlatti gives a flavour of the brilliance of both composers! Handel’s Harmonious Blacksmith is stunning.

1 Like

Many… Fleetwood Mac would be very high on the list. R.I.P. Christine McVie.

5 Likes

Davey Graham
Sandy Denny with Fairport or Fotheringhay
Bowie

2 Likes

In the mid-70’s I count myself very lucky to have seen David Bowie, Alice Cooper and a few years later Mick Ronson, Ian Hunter and Iggy Pop.

Even got to see Dylan but really would have loved to have seen Lou Reed probably at Charlton Football ground in 1974.

1 Like

Slightly worried when Tom Waits appeared at the top of the list. I hope he’s not dead. But I guess, like a few of these artists, his touring days are behind them. So:

Tom Waits
Kate Bush
Crowded House (I’ve seen The Finns but I’d have liked to see them in their pomp with the original line up)

Incidentally fans of Tom may enjoy the Song by Song Podcast. Every song of Tom’s analysed, in order, one a week. Currently on episode 361.

2 Likes

One of my worst decisions was not go and see him when he toured the Glitter and Dust album. I balked at the £100 ticket price ( unheard of at the time) and the cost of a flight/hotel etc. He was amazing apparently.

2 Likes

Never seen Alice Cooper or Mick Ronson but seen all the others although Hunter was not in the 70’s.
I saw Lou Reed a couple of times in the 70’s I think. Once when Rock n Roll Heart came out and again when The Bells came out I think at Hammersmith Odeon.
I could be mixing this up and maybe it was all one gig. My memory is a bit dodgy!!

1 Like

I would have settled for that.

Of many I wish I’d seen Frank Zappa is top of the list, particularly today, 29 years since his untimely passing.

1 Like

Would love to have seen Mary Chapin Carpenter left after 15 minutes got told off for singing along with my favourite tracks. Others that I would love to have seen would be Eva Cassidy and Nina Simone rely on Naim to take me there.

1 Like

Quite right I had to tell someone off at a 10,000 maniacs concert. I told the bloke I came to hear Natalie sing and not you.

The absolute horror.

3 Likes